Delicious Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken
If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe, this Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken is perfect! It’s is cooked with a light and crispy crust, and the orange and lemon flavors give it a delicious zing. It’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What is Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken?
Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken is a delicious and healthy way to cook chicken. The chicken is first marinated in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, and spices. Then, it is placed in an air fryer and cooked until crispy and golden brown. The resulting chicken is juicy and full of flavor, and the lemon-garlic sauce provides a perfect finishing touch. Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken is a simple and healthy recipe that is sure to please the whole family.
Butterfly Whole Chicken Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll need a lot of citrusy ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious and healthy air fryer chicken:
- Whole butterflied chicken– You will need to butterfly a whole chicken. See notes below on how to do this.
- Lemons and Lemon Juice– You will need whole lemons as well as lemon juice for this recipe. I use the bottled lemon juice.
- Orange juice– Use pulp free 100% orange juice for best results. If you have pulpy orange juice it can leave a weird texture.
- Lime juice– You can use fresh limes or bottled lime juice. Fresh is always going to give you a more citrusy flavor.
- White wine vinegar– If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Olive oil– I use olive oil, but you could use vegetable oil or canola oil if that’s what you have.
- Spices– You will need garlic powder, parsley, salt and thyme to add a delicious flavor complex.
How to Make Air Fryer Butterfly Chicken
Nothing is hard about this recipe. It just takes a little chopping, mixing, and marinating. Follow the steps below for a healthy air fryer chicken recipe.
Step 1: Cut the Lemon
Slice 1 lemon into whole slices, and add it to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add All the Ingredients
Next, combine the rest of the ingredients minus the chicken in to the mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
Step 3: Marinate the Chicken
Add the chicken to the mixing bowl. Flip the chicken two to three times to coat it. Then, allow the chicken to marinate in the citrus seasonings in the refrigerator for 30-minutes.
Step 4: Prep the Chicken
Using a pan, the fits both the chicken and air fryer basket, place the chicken in the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken but don’t over fill the pan. Place the lemon slices on top of the chicken.
Step 5: Air Fry the Chicken
Finally, place the chicken in the air fryer and cook it at 350℉ for 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165℉.
Step 6: Carve the Chicken
Remove the chicken from the air fryer and carve it up. Garnish with lemon and parsley if you desire.
Serve and Enjoy!
How Do I Butterfly a Chicken?
To butterfly a chicken, start by removing the backbone. Then, use a sharp knife to carefully cut through the breastbone. Once the chicken is open, flatten it out and tuck in the wings.
Can I Use Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs?
Yes, you can use either chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. However, the cook time will be reduced. I prefer to use a whole chicken because it comes out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
What to Serve with Citrus Butterfly Chicken
This dish is perfect served with a simple salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, and avocado. But, if you want more than a salad, here are some more side ideas:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Tasty Broccoli Salad
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can marinate the chicken in the fridge for up to 24 hours before cooking. This step is not necessary, but it will help to infuse more flavor into the meat.
How to Store Leftovers
To store leftover air fryer citrus chicken, let the chicken cool completely. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to four days. When you’re ready to eat it again, simply reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes until warmed through.
Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken
This delicious air fryer butterfly chicken recipe is easy and simple to make.
- 1 whole butterflied chicken
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Slice 1 lemon into whole slices. Add to mixing bowl
- Combine the rest of the ingredients minus the chicken to the mixing bowl. Mix
- Add the chicken to the mixing bowl. Flip the chicken two to three times to coat it.
- Let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Using a pan, the fits both the chicken and air fryer basket, place the chicken in the pan. pour marinade over the chicken but don’t over fill the pan
- Place lemon slices across the top of the chicken.
- Cook at 350℉ for 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165°
- Remove the chicken and carve.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley.
This is the air fryer I used: Chefman TurboFry Touch 8 Quart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Authentic Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma
- The Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Huli Huli Chicken
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!