This Air Fryer Sweet And Sour Chicken recipe is full of amazing flavor! If you’re ready for a sweet and hearty comfort food recipe, you’re going to crave this crispy sweet and sour chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Sweet And Sour Chicken
- Healthful Twist: Enjoy the beloved takeout classic with less oil using the Air Fryer.
- Quick and Easy: This recipe simplifies cooking, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.
- Balanced Flavors: The perfect blend of sweet and sour will tantalize your taste buds.
Ingredients For Sweet And sour Chicken
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs: The lean protein that gets crispy in the air fryer and absorbs the sweet and sour sauce.
- Salt & Pepper: Enhance the natural flavors of the chicken.
- Corn Starch: Helps to create a crispy coating on the chicken when air fried.
- Pineapple Chunks, Onion, Red and Green Bell Peppers: Add a combination of sweetness and tanginess to the dish, as well as a crisp texture.
- Green Onions: Used for garnish, they add a pop of color and a mild, fresh flavor.
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- Ketchup & Sugar: Create the base for the sweet part of the sauce.
- Rice Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar: Adds the sour component to balance out the sweetness.
- Water: Thins out the sauce to the perfect consistency.
- Minced Garlic: Infuses the sauce with a savory depth of flavor.
- Pineapple Juice: Enhances the tropical flavor of the dish, tying together the chicken and the sauce.
How To Make Sweet And Sour Chicken?
Making this easy chicken recipe in the air fryer is a crazy simple and easy way to make a delicious dinner.
Step 1: Coat the Chicken
Fully coat the chicken bites in corn starch, salt, and pepper. Place evenly in the oil-sprayed air fryer basket, and spray the chicken with oil.
Step 2: Cook
Cook on 380 for 8 minutes. Shake basket halfway.
Step 3: Add the Veggies
After 8 minutes, shift the chicken to one half and add the vegetables and pineapple to the other side. Finish cooking for 8 more minutes. Mix after 4 minutes.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
While cooking chicken, mix the sauce ingredients into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then remove to cool and thicken.
Step 5: Serve
Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Mix and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
You can also add to the top of rice, too!
Can You Make Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken?
Absolutely! Just add in more veggies and leave out the rice. It’s low carb without having to get rid of any of the flavors.
More Chicken Recipes
There are so many great chicken recipes that I think you’ll love! Here are some of the best:
- Delicious Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken
- Best Chicken Broccoli Casserole With Rice: Easy Recipe
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Cesear Salad
- Air Fryer Citrus Butterfly Chicken
- Almond Crusted Chicken
- Air Fyer Stuffed Peppers
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Sweet and Sour Chicken?
This sweet and sour chicken air fryer recipe is just like it sounds. Every bite has a little bit of sweetness paired with the perfect balance of sour. Since this sweet and sour chicken in air fryer recipe has a nice crunch, it’s just like what you’d get from take-out!
You can also make this sweet and sour chicken in the Instant Pot!
Can you Reheat Sweet and Sour Chicken?
You bet. Reheating is a breeze. You can easily pop it back in your air fryer and reheat it or even use the microwave as well.
If you’re wanting some of that crunch back on the chicken, the air fryer is going to be the best way to make that happen!
What Veggies go with Weet and Sour Chicken?
Any vegetables will taste great with this recipe but there are a few that stand out. Some of the best veggies to add to this chicken recipe is:
If you like spice and heat, you can add in fresh jalapenos as well! Although, that may be more of a spicy chicken recipe rather than a sweet and sour.
At What Temperature Is Chicken Considered Safe to Eat?
If you’re worried that the chicken isn’t cooked all the way, use a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature. As long as it reads 165 degrees, it’s done and ready to enjoy!
- 1 pound chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 cup corn-starch (or potato starch)
- 1 can pineapple chunks, canned
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 green onions for garnish
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pineapple juice from the can
- Fully coat the chicken bites in corn-starch, salt, and pepper. Place evenly in the oil sprayed air fryer basket, spray chicken with oil.
- Cook on 380 for 8 minutes. Shake basket halfway.
- After 8 minutes, shift the chicken to one half and add the vegetables and pineapple to the other side. Finish cooking for 8 more minutes. Mix after 4 minutes.
- While cooking chicken, mix the sauce ingredients into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then remove to cool and thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Mix and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 44g