If you love rice pudding then you’re going to love this quick and easy Instant Pot rice pudding recipe. It’s simple to make and is one of the best rice pudding recipes I’ve tried in my electric pressure cooker.
While Instant Pot rice pudding is not necessarily considered a health food, it does contain some nutritional benefits.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Rice Pudding Recipe
- Comfort in a Bowl: This rice pudding recipe offers a warm, creamy dessert delight.
- Effortless Cooking: With the Instant Pot, get perfect consistency every time, hassle-free.
- Customizable: Add your favorite toppings like cinnamon, nuts, or berries for a personal touch.
Creamy Rice Pudding Recipe for the Instant Pot
Creamy rice pudding is a fabulous dish that can be served as a treat or snack, dessert, or breakfast.
You can add your favourite flavours to it, add different fruits or toppings, and make it the way you love it.
With this basic, easy rice pudding recipe, the sky is the limit!
This recipe is creamy and smooth, and the instant pot makes this so quick and easy. This will be a favourite rice pudding recipe for sure!
Instant Pot Rice Pudding With Condensed Milk
This rice pudding recipe uses condensed milk. The condensed milk gives the rice pudding a wonderful, rich and creamy texture, while also adding a delicious sweetness.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Ingredients
Here are the ingredients for your pressure cooker rice pudding recipe:
- White Rice: Cooks to a creamy and tender texture, providing a comforting base for the pudding.
- Milk: Adds richness and creaminess to the pudding.
- Water: Added to the Instant Pot along with the milk to ensure the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid properly.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Provides a delightful sweetness without the need for additional sugar, enhancing the overall taste and texture.
- Sea Salt: Added to balance the sweetness of the condensed milk and other ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the overall taste profile, providing a subtle sweetness and depth that complements the other ingredients.
- Cinnamon: Adds a hint of spiciness and earthiness, elevating the flavor profile and giving the pudding a cozy and inviting taste.
How Do You Make Rice Pudding in the Instant Pot?
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this rice pudding Instant Pot recipe.
Step One: Rinse the Rice
First, you need to place the rice in a strainer, or mesh colander. Make sure you rinse well allowing the cold water to run over it for about a minute.
Drain, and add rice to the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Add Milk to Instant Pot
Add the cold milk, water, salt, and a hint of cinnamon, and stir well.
Step Three: Pressure Cook Rice Pudding
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set to ‘SEALING’. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Step Four: Naturally Release Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding
Once the rice pudding mixture has cooked the Instant Pot will beep. Allow your pressure cooker to natural release for 15 minutes.
Next carefully turn the pressure valve to ‘VENTING’, and make sure all the remaining pressure is released before removing the Instant Pot lid.
Step Five: Add Condensed Milk and Vanilla
Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to the cooked rice and stir until blended.
Step Six: Serve Your Instant Pot Rice Pudding
Serve warm in dessert bowls. If you don’t wish to serve hot then chill the rice pudding and serve cold later.
How to Serve Rice Pudding?
There are many ways to serve rice pudding. You could try adding some nuts, dried fruit, seeds, honey, or a sprinkle of cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick) if you want to change it up a bit.
Some people like to serve pressure cooker rice pudding with whipped cream or add raisins but the condensed milk in this recipe makes the dessert sweet enough.
More Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
Here are some more fantastic Instant Pot recipes for you to try:
- Instant Pot White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
- New York Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
- The Best Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipes
- Instant Pot Blueberry Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Yogurt Recipes
- Instant Pot Makers Mark Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
- Instant Pot Almond Yogurt
- Classic Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Peach Crisp
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Rice Pudding?
Rice pudding is a delicious, creamy dish made by cooking rice in milk or cream until it becomes rich and thick.
This popular dessert can be flavored with a variety of ingredients, including spices, fruit, chocolate, or nuts.
Instant Pot rice pudding is one of the best ways to enjoy this classic comfort food.
Where Did Rice Pudding Originate?
While the exact origins of rice pudding are unknown, it is believed to have been invented in Asia thousands of years ago. From there, it spread through many different cultures and has remained a popular dessert ever since.
Why Do People Love Instant Pot Rice Pudding?
Whether you’re looking for an easy dessert recipe or just want something comforting and delicious, Instant Pot rice pudding is sure to please.
Making rice pudding is quick and easy in the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, and the results are rich and creamy every time.
Is Rice Pudding Good for You?
Rice pudding is high in protein and fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer.
Is Rice Pudding Healthy?
Rice pudding contains a mixture of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. This makes it a relatively healthy dessert option that can help you meet your daily nutritional needs.
However, rice pudding is also high in added sugars and should be consumed in moderation.
What Does Rice Pudding Taste Like?
Rice pudding typically has a creamy, rich texture and can be flavored with a variety of spices and ingredients to create different flavor profiles.
Some people describe it as tasting like oatmeal or cream-based custard, while others have compared it to bread pudding or rice kheer.
Do You Eat Rice Pudding Hot or Cold?
Instant Pot rice pudding can be enjoyed hot or at room temperature. If you prefer chilled rice pudding simply allow your pressure cooker rice pudding to cool completely and chill in the fridge before serving.
How Long Can You Store Leftover Rice Pudding?
So how long is rice pudding good for?
If you have any leftover rice pudding, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure to let it cool to room temperature before storing.
Can You Freeze Rice Pudding?
Rice pudding can be frozen in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat your rice pudding, simply thaw the container in the fridge overnight, or place the Instant Pot rice pudding in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave until fully reheated. Enjoy!
What Kind of Rice for Rice Pudding?
Short-grain rice is the best to use when making rice pudding as it becomes very creamy and sticky. You can also use long-grain rice, but the pudding will not be as creamy.
Can I Use Other Types of Rice in Rice Pudding?
Yes, you can use different types of rice. You can try Jasmine rice, arborio rice, basmati rice, sushi rice and even brown rice. However, the pudding will not be as creamy.
How to Thicken Rice Pudding
If you want to thicken your Instant Pot rice pudding, simply allow it to cool completely. You can also add extra condensed milk or even cornstarch mixed with water and stirred into the Instant Pot mixture.
Just be sure to bring the liquid temperature up to at least 160 degrees before adding any thickening agents.
Can Dogs Eat Rice Pudding?
I heard rice is good for dogs but can dogs have rice pudding or is rice pudding bad for dogs?
There is some debate about whether or not dogs should eat rice pudding.
Some pet owners claim that rice is a good source of carbs and can help improve digestion in dogs, while others believe that rice pudding may be too rich and high in sugar for dogs to safely consume.
If you are considering giving your dog rice pudding, it’s best to consult with your vet beforehand to discuss any potential health risks. Overall, it is best to avoid feeding dogs foods that are high in sugar or sodium.
Can Dogs Have Rice Pudding With Cinnamon?
Yes, dogs can have rice pudding with cinnamon. While some people may recommend avoiding using spices like cinnamon in dog food, there is no evidence that it is harmful to dogs.
Can Cats Eat Rice Pudding?
Whether or not cats can eat rice pudding is a question that many cat owners may have.
While some people may encourage feeding your feline friends small amounts of rice as an occasional treat, it’s important to be mindful of any potential allergies or health concerns before doing so.
Is Rice Pudding the Same as Arroz Con Leche?
No, rice pudding and arroz con leche are not the same. Arroz con leche is a Spanish-style dessert made from rice, milk, sugar, and cinnamon.
Rice pudding is typically made with cooked rice mixed with milk or cream, brown sugar, and other flavorings like vanilla or nutmeg.
Can I Slow Cook Rice Pudding in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can use the slow cooker function on your Instant Pot to slow cook the rice pudding.
This easy dessert (Instant Pot Rice Pudding) is sure to be a family favorite dessert. It’s one of those delicious recipes you can whip up super fast and is the best easy rice pudding recipe I’ve made.
- 1 1/4 cups of white rice – rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of milk – (whole, soy, almond, your favourite)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- First, you need to place the rice in a strainer, or mesh colander. Make sure you rinse well allowing the cold water to run over it for about a minute.
- Drain, and add rice to the Instant Pot.
- Add the cold milk, water, salt, and a hint of cinnamon, and stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set to ‘SEALING’. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice pudding mixture has cooked the Instant Pot will beep. Allow your pressure cooker to natural release for 15 minutes.
- Next carefully turn the pressure valve to ‘VENTING’, and make sure all the remaining pressure is released before removing the Instant Pot lid.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to the cooked rice and stir until blended.
- Serve warm in dessert bowls. If you don't wish to serve hot then chill the rice pudding and serve cold later.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g