How to Freeze and Use Egg Yolks
I love eggs! And I think it’s pretty unlikely that you haven’t ever faced this situation: there are only egg whites left in the fridge! So, what do you do with them? Can you freeze leftover egg yolks? Don’t worry, we’ll find a solution to freeze egg yolks and how you can use thawed frozen eggs.
How to Freeze Egg Yolks?
We can use egg yolks to prepare an omelet (my favorite is to add salt, pepper, and butter), meringue, or even bake a souffle. However, there are times when you want to make a custard or flan, but there are only egg yolks left.
Don’t Panic: We Can Freeze Egg Yolks!
Freezing raw eggs is quite easy, and the same goes for freezing cooked eggs. A previously cooked and cooled egg yolk can be frozen and thawed, and it doesn’t suffer any loss of quality.
Why freezing eggs is healthy and can you freeze eggs in ice cube tray or plastic bags?
I will guide you in a very simple process.
However, first thing first!
Why Freezing Egg Yolks?
Freezing egg yolks is not the same as to freeze egg whites because egg yolks are very rich in nutrients and moisture. As a result, they are very sensitive to the effects of changes in temperature, humidity, light, etc. This means that egg yolk can easily deteriorate.
That’s why it would be best if you didn’t freeze them at all or just do it if there is no other way out.
How to Freeze Eggs and Leftover Yolks?
So, this guide is gonna be definitive and long. So, you won’t go wrong while freezing your whole eggs or only egg white.
First of all, freeze a tested quantity of leftover egg whites. How much is that? Well, for about 8 eggs it would be about 3 or 4 tablespoons of yolks. You can use smaller quantities too, like 1 tablespoon (or 2).
Steps to Follow to Freeze Eggs and Whole Egg?
1. Place the yolks into a small container, and if you want to use them for custards or flans that need to be baked, add a teaspoon of sugar.
2. Add flavorings if you wish. Some corn syrup recipes or ice cream recipes suggest adding vanilla extract, but you can add anything you want: cocoa powder, etc.
3. Place a piece of cling film over the container, sealing it well. If you don’t have cling wrap, use foil paper or a zipper bag instead.
4. Freeze the yolks in the fridge until they are solid, usually about an hour will do if your freezer is set to -18 C (-0.4 F). However, the best thing would be to leave them overnight in order for them to freeze completely.
5. Transfer the frozen egg yolks into a zipper bag or freezer-safe plastic box, and store them in your freezer until you need to use them!
How to Thaw Frozen Egg?
Now, let’s say you need to use ice cube trays filled with egg yolk and they are still in the freezer.
Well, for this you will need a clean bowl or container and warm water and also make sure the room temperature is just mild.
Follow the Steps Below
1. Get a clean container and fill it with warm water to about half of its volume.
2. Place your bag inside the container, making sure that the yolks are not in contact with the water.
3. Wait for about 10 minutes, and take out the yolks to check if they are thawed enough before using them.
4. Now, as I said before; if they are not thawed enough and you still want to use them, place the yolks back inside the bowl and let them sit there for a few more minutes.
5. Once they are thawed, use them as normal!
How to Use Frozen Egg Yolks?
There are many ways to use frozen egg yolks. For example, if you are making a custard or any corn syrup recipe requiring cooked egg yolks, you can use them from the freezer.
Follow These Delicious Recipes:
1) Oeufs a l’Aigre Doux Recipe:
It is one of the most famous egg dishes in French cuisine.
– 3 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
– Four yolks and a pinch of salt
– Salt and pepper to taste
And lastly, one tablespoon sugar or corn syrup
– Pour the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to beat for about 5 minutes before removing it from heat.
– When done, allow the mixture to cool down for about 3 minutes. Afterward, put the saucepan over low heat.
– Allow the mixture to warm up, allowing it to prepare for about 3 minutes before pouring in your egg yolks. Stir occasionally.
– Once done, allow it to cool off completely before serving. There you go! Enjoy this tasty oeufs a l’Aigre Doux recipe made with whole eggs!
2) Huevos Rancheros Recipe:
– 1/2 lb. Roma tomatoes
– 4 eggs or only egg white
– 1 tsp vegetable oil
– 1 small white onion, diced
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) On a baking sheet, place the tomatoes and roast them for about 10 minutes.
3) Remove them from heat and let them cool down before taking off their skin. After that, chop the flesh into 1/4 inch pieces.
4) Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and add onions and garlic for about 4 minutes or until the onions have become translucent.
5) Add tomatoes to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste, and then reduce your heat to low.
7) Crack the eggs into the skillet, cover it with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are done.
Now, you know how to properly freeze egg yolks! All you need to do is place frozen eggs in a freezer pouch or bag and store them away for later use! Once stored properly, they will last up to 2 weeks in the freezer if used for garnishing purposes, or 3 months if used for baking purposes.