Who doesn’t love kiwi fruit?
Kiwi fruit is a favorite fruit of everyone in my family. I mean who doesn’t like a juicy, delicious fruit with a sweet and sour taste? Kiwi is the one fruit I remember buying with my mom as a kid and one I enjoyed scooping out with a spoon and eating kiwi slices.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
The Kiwi Fruit
The kiwi fruit contains numerous health benefits. Rich in minerals and vitamins, it contains phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C.
However kiwi fruit does not keep for a long time. In the northern hemisphere, the kiwi fruit season begins in December and ends in May.
After that, fresh kiwifruit is out of season. So what should you do if you want to eat them all year round? What if you want fresh kiwi in your fruit salad?
Well, the answer would be to freeze kiwi fruit.
Yes, that’s right…..
Freezing kiwi fruit helps to preserve the rich content of antioxidants and minerals that are found in the fruit and allows you to use it as and when you need it.
What is a Kiwi Fruit?
Kiwi fruit, also known as Chinese gooseberry, is a popular fruit that originated in China. In the 1950s New Zealand brought this fruit to the international market. It is named kiwi fruit because the skin of the fruit is furry and looks similar to the New Zealand kiwi bird.
What Color Is Kiwi Fruit?
Kiwifruits are green and brown. They are oval-shaped and have small black seeds at their center. The texture of the fruit is smooth and the taste is both sweet and sour taste.
Is Kiwi the Healthiest Fruit?
Kiwi fruit contains a high amount of vitamin C and E, fiber, magnesium, and potassium. This combination of elements makes it one of the healthiest fruits in the world.
Kiwifruit is also rich in antioxidants, which make the fruit ideal for those boosting the immune system, helping eyesight, and maintaining healthy skin. It is also effective in reducing blood pressure.
Can You Freeze KiwiFruit Skin?
The skin of whole kiwi fruit contains countless health benefits. It contains chlorophyll, which acts as a detoxifying agent in the body. The fruit helps to purify the blood by removing toxic materials from the body.
Preserving Kiwifruit. Why Bother?
You can have the taste of kiwi fruit all year round by freezing it in your freezer.
The best way to freeze kiwi slices or whole kiwis is to do so in a way that excludes air from any container or zip lock bag.
How to Pick the Best whole kiwi to Freeze?
The best kiwifruit is to pick are the slightly soft ones because these have a higher content of sugar. If you buy hard kiwis that are not ripe, they may become mushy when you freeze them.
How Long Will Kiwi Fruit Stay Fresh in the Freezer?
If you freeze Kiwi it will retain the taste and nutrients for up to 12 months. However, you should note that exposure to air will reduce their shelf life, and so it’s best to try to use them within 6 months.
How to Store Kiwi Fruit?
The best way to store completely frozen kiwifruit is in its whole form, without cutting them.
If you need to cut the fruit, place the slices on a baking tray until frozen solid. This will help retain their taste and shape. Pop them into a bag once flash frozen.
TIP: If you want to store the skin from the peeled kiwis, place the peel directly into an airtight freezer bag or zip lock bag to avoid air exposure and keep it freezer safe.
How to Preserve A Kiwi Fruit In The Freezer?
1. First step is to wash the kiwi fruit with water.
2. Use a paper towel to pat the entire fruit dry.
3. Peel and slice the kiwi fruit in half.
4. Remove the flesh from the fruit. Place the kiwi fruit in a freezer-safe bag or container.
5. Alternatively use sliced kiwi. Place them on parchment paper or a cookie sheet and allow the multiple slices to flash freeze for one hour before popping into a container.
6. Label each kiwi fruit bag with the date and place it in the freezer.
How To Defrost Kiwi Fruit?
Now you know how to freeze kiwi fruit you can use one of the following methods to defrost your frozen fruit.
- Take out of the freezer. Place the kiwis in a bowl and leave them on the kitchen counter for 2-3 hours. This method requires no special equipment.
- Place the frozen fruit under warm running water for 45 seconds before placing them in a bowl. If you use this method, the frozen kiwi fruit will be thawed within 5 minutes or so.
How to Use Frozen Kiwi Fruit?
Frozen kiwis are perfect for making delicious smoothies and desserts. You can add them to your favorite fruit salad or smoothie recipe to make the most of them.
Freezing kiwis for salads, breakfasts, and desserts is a great idea.
- You can add one cup of diced kiwi fruit to 3 cups of green leafy vegetables and toss well while adding olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper for taste.
- Add some thawed kiwi fruit to your bowl of oatmeal or muesli before placing it in the microwave for two minutes. This will make your breakfast healthier and tastier at the same time.
- Use kiwi slices to top up your pies or crumbles and pavlova desserts.
- Mix diced frozen kiwi slices with other fruit such as frozen strawberries, plum, or pear puree for a tangy flavor. Add some oatmeal flakes to balance the sweet-and-sour taste and serve as a healthy dessert.
Kiwis for Breakfast?
Defrost frozen kiwifruit and mix it with granola, toasted coconut flakes, and honey for sweetness and texture.
Make strawberry and kiwifruit yogurt . It’s super tasty and a great breakfast option for kids.
Defrost frozen kiwi slices to make healthy smoothies crunchier and tastier.
Using Thawed Kiwi For Kiwi Fruit Sorbet
You can make frozen kiwi fruit sorbet by following these easy steps:
- Take out the fruit and add 1 tsp of lemon juice before blending the mixture in a blender for one minute.
- Add vanilla extract, honey, plus a few ice cubes. Blend the mixture to get a smooth sorbet texture.
- Serve and enjoy!
How To Make a Smoothie With Frozen Kiwi Fruit?
If you wish to freeze kiwi fruit for smoothies then you can freeze the whole kiwifruit with the kiwi’s skin or freeze just the pulp and seeds.
Add the frozen kiwi fruit to your favorite smoothie recipe and blend them with other ingredients before serving.
Try This Pineapple And Kiwi Smoothie Recipe
– Blend ¼ cup water, half a banana, 1 tbsp honey, 2 kiwi fruits slices, and ice cubes in the blender until you get a smooth mixture.
– Add one scoop of pineapple sherbet to the mixture before serving.
This recipe makes the best smoothies!
Try Frozen Kiwi Slices or Kiwi Fruit Today!
Now, you know how to freeze kiwi fruit and defrost it. Try out one of the above suggestions and make this summer a healthy one! Let me know how you find freezing kiwi.
You may also enjoy the following:
10 Delicious Summer INSTANT POT DRINKS Are Quick and Easy To Make
I hope you enjoyed this list of 10 drool-worthy Instant Pot drinks! These are delicious, refreshing, and surprisingly quick to whip up on a summer afternoon for any occasion. What’s your favorite on so far? Let us know in the comments below!
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!