Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
Need a super quick and easy side dish recipe for that next family gathering or just looking for new ideas to add to your meal plans?
Well, you’re in luck as these Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts are not just a tasty addition to your main meal- they are also known as a superfood, being a nutrient-dense green vegetable that has long been popular in Brussels, Belgium where its name is thought to have originated from.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Time-Saving: The Instant Pot drastically reduces cooking time for these nutrient-rich veggies.
- Tender and Flavorful: Achieve perfectly cooked, delicious Brussels sprouts every time.
- Easy Side Dish: These sprouts are a hassle-free addition to any meal.
A Quick and Easy Side Dish That’s Healthy Too
These cute mini cabbages pack high doses of vitamin C (necessary for the repair of all body tissues) and vitamin K (important in blood clotting and bone metabolism). They are also rich in antioxidants and are an excellent source of dietary fibre and protein.
As someone who highly values the benefits of eating healthy, I love the fact that I can whip these up within 13 minutes with little to no effort. After all, eating healthy doesn’t have to demand long hours in the kitchen!
Here’s what you need to make this delicious and nutritious side dish.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Is used for sautéing the onion, infusing the dish with a subtle fruity note and ensuring that the other flavors are well-released.
- Yellow Onion (chopped): Add a layer of savory sweetness that complements the earthy flavor of the Brussels sprouts.
- Brussels Sprouts (rinsed): Bring a unique, slightly bitter yet nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch.
- Salt and Pepper: Enhance the natural flavors of the Brussels sprouts and onions, while also balancing the sweetness of the honey.
- Vegetable Broth: Used as the cooking liquid in the Instant Pot, it not only adds moisture but also infuses the Brussels sprouts with a deep, savory flavor.
- Almonds: Adding a delightful crunch and a hint of nuttiness, almonds pair beautifully with Brussels sprouts and help elevate the overall dish.
- Honey: Brings a touch of natural sweetness that beautifully offsets the slight bitterness of the Brussels sprouts, creating a balanced flavor profile.
Brussel Sprouts Cooking Times and Servings
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
Yields: 2-3 servings (as a side dish)
How to Cook Brussel Sprouts in the Instant Pot?
Rinse and clean your Brussel sprouts under cold water, then set aside.
Pour extra virgin olive oil in the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Chop the yellow onion and set aside.
Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and add your chopped onion.
Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
Add the Brussels sprouts and sauté/cook for 1-2 minutes.
Sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and pepper over the Brussel sprouts.
Turn off the sauté function and pour in the vegetable broth, deglazing the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Cover the Instant Pot and set on manual high pressure for 3 minutes.
As the Brussels sprouts cook, chop the almonds.
Once the 3 minutes is up, allow for a Quick Pressure Release.
Serve in a large bowl and sprinkle the chopped almonds over the Brussel sprouts. (If you don’t want to have to chop almonds, you can easily purchase chopped almonds from your local grocery store).
Drizzle with honey, serve and enjoy!
Why You Should Give This Side Dish a Try?
Rich in nutrients and low in calories, this nutrient-dense vegetable will fill you up without the worry of adding to your waistline. In fact, Brussel sprouts are known to be a keto-friendly vegetable with a 5g net carb count.
Apart from its health benefits and low-carb reputation, Brussel sprouts can easily be dressed up by adding bacon bits, cream cheese and garlic or served with minimal additions while still promising to be a winning side dish.
Do you love how effortless cooking is with an Instant Pot? Then why not try my other Instant Pot recipes here
- Instant Pot Potato Recipes For The Family
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- 31 Easy Instant Pot Recipes For The Beginner
- Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Instant Pot honey Glazed Carrots
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Roast Beef
- Puttanesca Pasta
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Chicken
- 2-3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts, rinsed
- ½ Tsp Salt and Pepper as Seasoning
- ½ Cup Vegetable Broth
- ¼ Cup Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Rinse and clean your Brussel sprouts under cold water, then set aside.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Chop the yellow onion and set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to the "sauté" setting and add your chopped onion. Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and sauté/cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and pepper over the Brussel sprouts.
- Turn off the "sauté" function and pour in the vegetable broth, deglazing the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set on manual high pressure for 3 minutes. As the Brussels sprouts cook, chop the almonds.
- Once the 3 minutes is up, allow for a Quick Pressure Release.
- Serve in a large bowl and sprinkle the chopped almonds over the Brussel sprouts. (If you don’t want to have to chop almonds, you can easily purchase chopped almonds from your local grocery store).
- Drizzle with honey, serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 632Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 788mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 9gSugar: 25gProtein: 10g