A cheesy, Roman classic, this Instant Pot Cacio E Pepe is one of the fastest, easiest, and most delicious recipes you can make in your Instant Pot. It will bring a delicious cheesy flavor to your main course.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What is Cacio E Pepe
Cacio E Pepe is pronounced as ca-cho ee pepe. It is a Roman pasta dish that quite literally translates to cheese and pepper. This simple dish consists of spaghetti, pepper, and Percorino Romano cheese. It’s basically like a stripped down macaroni that’s absolutely delicious!
Instant Pot Cacio E Pepe Ingredients
You’ll only need a total of 4-ingredients for this recipe making it quick and easy to whip up. Here’s what you need:
- Spaghetti noodles-Break your uncooked noodles in half so that they fit in the Instant Pot. I use thick spaghetti, but you could also use thin spaghetti.
- Chicken broth– If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use 3 bullion cubes with 2.5 cups of water to make your own.
- Pecorino Romano– You want fresh, grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Black pepper– Using fresh ground black pepper is especially vital to this recipe, as it’s where the pasta gets most of its flavor.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Cacio E Pepe
The best recipes are those with max flavor and minimal effort. This recipe falls into that category. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Add Spaghetti and Broth
First, add the spaghetti noodles and chicken broth to your Instant Pot. Be sure to break the noodles up and submerge them into the broth.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Then, close the lid on your Instant Pot, push the pressure valve to the sealing position, hit the manual or pressure cook button, and set the time for 8-minutes.
Step 3: Quick Release
Once your Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by pushing the pressure valve to the venting position to release the pressure.
Step 4: Add Cheese
Let the noodles cool for 1-minute. Then, add 1/3 cup of the cheese at a time to your noodles. Mix well with tongs. Repeat until all the cheese is mixed in.
Step 5: Add the Cracked Pepper
Finally, add in your desired amount of cracked pepper to your noodles. I did about 2 tablespoons, but you can use more or less.
Serve and Enjoy!
Cacio E Pepe Tips for Success
- Turn your Instant Pot off. Before adding the Pecorino Romano, make sure the Instant Pot is turned off and not on keep warm. If you don’t turn it off the cheese will clump together.
- Add cheese to warm noodles. Don’t let the noodles cool longer than a minute otherwise the cheese won’t melt easily.
- Use freshly grated peppercorns– freshly cracked peppercorns have much more flavor than the pre-grated containers.
Can I Use A Different Cheese?
Pecorino isn’t as common as say parmesan or mozzarella, but I would caution against using a different cheese. You may be tempted, but the end result will not be nearly as delicious. This is because Pecorino Romano contains so much flavor and melts beautifully into a sauce.
What Other Noodles Can I Use?
I use spaghetti noodles, but you can use other noodles as well. Italians normally use tonnarelli to make this dish which is similar to spaghetti. You could also use fettuccini noodles, Vermicelli, or Angel Hair.
Main Course Ideas
Cacio E Pepe is a perfect side dish to a variety of dishes. You could also eat it all by itself. Here are some ideas to serve your pasta with:
- Instant Pot tender Pork Tenderloin
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Petite Sirloin
- Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
- Instant Pot Beef Tips
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles, uncooked, broken in half
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. about 2.5 cups Pecorino Romano, grated, fresh
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Add to your instant pot your spaghetti noodles and chicken broth. Close the lid on your instant pot and make sure your sealing valve is closed as well. Set your instant pot to high-pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once your instant pot is done cooking, do a quick release by bringing the sealing valve toward you and releasing the pressure.
- Wait about one minute to allow the noodles to cool. Add 1/3 cup of cheese at a time to your spaghetti noodles and broth mixture. Mix well with tongs. Repeat until cheese is done.
- Add in your desired amount of cracked pepper to your instant pot. I did about 2 tablespoons cracked pepper for the entire pot, but you may enjoy more or less. You can also add more to each prepared dish.
- Transfer to your serving bowl and enjoy!
More Pasta Dishes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Carbonara
- Weight Watchers Pancetta Pasta
- Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Instant Pot Ramen Noodles With Chicken
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has studied nutrition for children and has also taught cooking skills to adults. Angela loves to share family meals and easy instant pot recipes here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!