With tender potatoes and carrots, juicy shredded chicken, and a creamy sauce, this Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food! Done in 30-minutes, this recipe is the perfect weeknight meal.
Why We Love Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of those foods that just warms the soul. My family loves chicken pot pie for dinner. Here’s why we love it:
- Creamy and delicious. Made with heavy cream and chicken broth, this recipe is creamy and delicious.
- Quick and easy. You can have dinner on the table in about 30-minutes. It’s perfect for busy households that need something quick and easy to whip up.
- Low carb. Since this chicken pot pie is crustless, it’s low on carbs and perfect for those trying to limit their carb intake.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
You probably have most of these ingredients already, but get out your shopping list and jot down the following ingredients:
- Chicken: Used for their lean, tender meat that shreds easily.
- Potatoes: Add heartiness to the dish.
- Butter: Used for sautéing veggies, it adds a rich, savory flavor.
- Onion: Preferred for its mild, sweet flavor that enhances the overall taste of the pie.
- Carrots: Add a sweet, earthy flavor and a pop of color.
- Minced Garlic: Infuses the dish with a robust, aromatic flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- Chicken Broth: Serves as the base of the sauce, adding depth and richness to the pot pie.
- Heavy Cream: Enhances the richness of the sauce, giving it a creamy texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
- Corn Starch: Used to thicken the sauce, ensuring a hearty filling for the pot pie.
- Veggies: Frozen corn and peas add texture and sweetness.
- Spices: Customize the flavor profile of the pot pie, allowing you to tailor it to your taste preferences.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie?
You’ll love how quick, easy and delicious this chicken pot pie is! With just 10-minutes of prep and 20-minutes of cook time, dinner can be on the table in as little as 30-minutes. Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Sauté Veggies
First, hit the sauté or sear button on your Instant Pot, melt your butter, and then add your onions and carrots. Sauté them for about 8-10 minutes.
Step 2: Deglaze the Pot
Next, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth to your pot, and scrape the bottom to remove any remnants from the bottom.
Step 3: Add Ingredients
Add your garlic, thyme, chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, and the rest of your chicken broth to the Instant Pot.
Step 4: Pressure Cook
Close the lid on your Instant Pot, push the pressure valve to the sealing position, hit pressure cook or manual, and set the time for 10-minutes.
Step 5: Quick Release
Once your Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by pushing the pressure valve to the venting position.
Step 6: Shred the Chicken
Remove the chicken from your Instant Pot and shred it using two forks. Then, transfer the chicken back to your pot and stir it in.
Step 7: Make the Roux
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the corn start and heavy cream until a creamy slurry forms. Then, stir the roux into the soup until it thickens.
Serve and Enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie Tips for Success
- Cut potatoes big. You want your potatoes to be no smaller than 1-inch. You want the potatoes to be fairly large, so they don’t turn into mashed potatoes.
- Check the chicken. Make sure the chicken breast has reached the internal temperature of 160°. If it hasn’t, cook for at least 3 minutes under high pressure.
- Make sure the roux is not lumpy. You don’t want clumps and lumps in your slurry.
- Simmer to thicken. If your chicken pot pie still seems thin, you can use your saute button to simmer and thicken the soup.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Instant Pot
This chicken pot pie soup Instant Pot is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. Made in the Instant Pot, it’s ready in just 30 minutes! It’s a great way to get your family to eat their vegetables, too.
This soup is hearty and filling but still light enough that you won’t feel weighed down afterwards. It’s packed with chunks of chicken, carrots, celery, and potatoes in a creamy gravy. The perfect meal to warm you up from the inside out!
To make this soup even easier, you can use pre-made pie crusts or puff pastry. Just cut them into small pieces and add them to the soup during the last few minutes of cooking. They’ll absorb all the delicious flavours and thicken up the soup perfectly. Serve with a side of crusty bread for dipping, and you’ve got a meal that will satisfy everyone.
Side Dish Recommendations
This delicious Instant Pot chicken pot pie is a hearty meal that doesn’t require any sides. However, if you want to add a few sides, here are some ideas:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Chicken Pot Pie Gluten Free?
Yes, it is! Since we are using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken the soup, there’s no gluten in this recipe.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp thyme, chopped (or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups potatoes diced (you can remove skin. I left it on.)
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your instant pot on to sauté mode. Once it heats up add in your butter. Allow it to fully melt.
- Add in your onions and carrots. Sauté for about 8 to 10 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots are softened.
- Add 1/4 cup of your chicken broth to your pot. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze any remnants from your onion and carrots.
- Add to your instant pot your garlic, thyme, chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, and Remaining amount of chicken broth.
- Close the lid on your instant pot and twist to seal. Close the pressure valve by pushing away from you. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Once your instant pot has finished coming to pressure and cooking, do a quick release by releasing the sealing valve. Make sure chicken breast has reached the internal temperature of 160°. If it hasn’t, cook for at least another 3 minutes on high-pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from your instant pot and transferred to a cutting board. Shred with two forks and then transfer your shredded chicken back to your pot.
- Whisk together the corn starch and heavy cream until a cream slurry forms. While the soup is hot, stir in the slurry and continue to stir until soup thickens.
- Serve and garnish with parsley, optional.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 941mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Street Corn Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot Asian Lamb Chops
- Instant Pot Blueberry Loaf
- How To Freeze Instant Pot Pizza Dough
- Delicious Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Dal Recipes
- Instant Pot Keep Warm Button
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has studied nutrition for children and has also taught cooking skills to adults. Angela loves to share family meals and easy instant pot recipes here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!