Tender potatoes and carrots, juicy shredded chicken, and a creamy sauce, this Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food! Done in 30-minutes, this recipe is the perfect weeknight meal.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why We Love Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of those foods that just warms the soul. My family absolutely loves chicken pot pie for dinner. Here’s why we love it:
- Creamy and delicious. Made with heavy cream and chicken broth, this recipe is creamy and delicious.
- Quick and easy. You can have dinner on the table in about 30-minutes. It’s perfect for busy households that need something quick and easy to whip up.
- Low carb. Since this chicken pot pie is crustless, it’s low on carbs and perfect for those who are trying to limit their carb intake.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
You probably have most of these ingredients already, but get out your shopping list, and jot down the following ingredients:
- Chicken-I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts since they are easier to shred, but you could use any boneless chicken you prefer.
- Potatoes– Dice up 2 cups of potatoes. You can peel them or leave the skin on. I like to leave the skin on since that’s where most of the nutrients are.
- Butter– I use salted butter, but you can use unsalted as well. You could also use olive oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil to saute your veggies.
- Onion-Onion adds flavor to your dish. A white onion works best for this recipe, but you could also use a yellow onion.
- Carrots– You’ll need 1 cup of diced carrots, so I recommend using full carrots and cutting them up, but you could use baby carrots as well.
- Minced garlic– Mince up one fresh garlic clove, or you can purchase minced garlic in the seasoning section at your local grocery store.
- Chicken broth– If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use 4 bullion cubes and 4 cups of water to make your own.
- Heavy cream-To make 1 cup of heavy cream, mix 2/3 cup of whole milk with 1/3 cup melted butter if you don’t have any.
- Corn starch– Corn starch is used to thicken your sauce or roux.
- Veggies– I use frozen corn and peas, but you could also used canned or fresh.
- Spices– For this recipe, you will need thyme, salt and pepper to season.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
You’re going to love how quick, easy and delicious this chicken pot pie is! With just 10-minutes of prep and 20-minutes of cook time, dinner can be on the table in as little as 30-minutes. Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Sauté Veggies
First, hit the sauté or sear button on your Instant Pot, melt your butter, and then add your onions and carrots. Sauté them for about 8-10 minutes.
Step 2: Deglaze the Pot
Next, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth to your pot, and scrape the bottom to remove any remnants from the bottom.
Step 3: Add Ingredients
Add your garlic, thyme, chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, and the rest of your chicken broth to the Instant Pot.
Step 4: Pressure Cook
Close the lid on your Instant Pot, push the pressure valve to the sealing position, hit pressure cook or manual, and set the time for 10-minutes.
Step 5: Quick Release
Once your Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by pushing the pressure valve to the venting position.
Step 6: Shred the Chicken
Remove the chicken from your Instant Pot and shred it using two forks. Then, transfer the chicken back to your pot and stir it in.
Step 7: Make the Roux
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the corn start and heavy cream until a creamy slurry forms. Then, stir the roux into the soup until it thickens.
Serve and Enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie Tips for Success
- Cut potatoes big. You want your potatoes to be no smaller than 1-inch. You want the potatoes to be fairly large so they don’t turn into mashed potatoes.
- Check the chicken. Make sure chicken breast has reached the internal temperature of 160°. If it hasn’t, cook for at least another 3 minutes on high-pressure.
- Make sure the roux is not lumpy. You don’t want clumps and lumps in your slurry.
- Simmer to thicken. If your chicken pot pie still seems thin, you can use your saute button to simmer and thicken the soup.
Is This Chicken Pot Pie Gluten Free?
Yes, it is! Since we are using corn starch instead of flour to thicken the soup, there’s no gluten in this recipe.
Side Dish Recommendations
This delicious Instant Pot chicken pot pie is a hearty meal that doesn’t require any sides. However, if you want to add a few sides, here are some ideas:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp thyme, chopped (or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups potatoes diced (you can remove skin. I left it on.)
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your instant pot on to sauté mode. Once it heats up add in your butter. Allow it to fully melt.
- Add in your onions and carrots. Sauté for about 8 to 10 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots are softened.
- Add 1/4 cup of your chicken broth to your pot. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze any remnants from your onion and carrots.
- Add to your instant pot your garlic, thyme, chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, and Remaining amount of chicken broth.
- Close the lid on your instant pot and twist to seal. Close the pressure valve by pushing away from you. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Once your instant pot has finished coming to pressure and cooking, do a quick release by releasing the sealing valve. Make sure chicken breast has reached the internal temperature of 160°. If it hasn’t, cook for at least another 3 minutes on high-pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from your instant pot and transferred to a cutting board. Shred with two forks and then transfer your shredded chicken back to your pot.
- Whisk together the corn starch and heavy cream until a cream slurry forms. While the soup is hot, stir in the slurry and continue to stir until soup thickens.
- Serve and garnish with parsley, optional.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 941mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Street Corn Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot Asian Lamb Chops
- Instant Pot Blueberry Loaf
- How To Freeze Instant Pot Pizza Dough
- Delicious Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Dal Recipes
- Instant Pot Keep Warm Button
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has studied nutrition for children and has also taught cooking skills to adults. Angela loves to share family meals and easy instant pot recipes here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!