You’re not going to believe the ease of this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff recipe. Not only is it loaded down with taste and flavor, but it’s packed full of veggies, too! This dish is a surefire way to have everyone scooping out another helping onto their plate. It’s hearty, delicious, and the perfect weeknight meal. It’s even picky eater approved!
Why Make Instant Pot Stroganoff?
There are many reasons to make Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff, but some of the top reasons include:
- Instant Pot stroganoff is packed with flavor and loaded with veggies.
- It is easy and quick to prepare in your Instant Pot.
- Stroganoff is a hearty and satisfying meal for the entire family.
- The creamy sauce adds a delicious touch to this dish.
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious Instant Pot recipe to add to your dinner rotation, look no further than this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff. It is sure to be a favorite!
You’ll also want to try Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff which is a traditional beef stroganoff made in a pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff Cooking Times
This easy chicken stroganoff recipe has 10 minutes prep time and 10 minutes of pressure cooking time.
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff Ingredients
Here are the ingredients needed for your chicken stroganoff Instant Pot recipe:
- Skinless Chicken Tenders: The star of the dish, it’s tender and absorbs the flavors of the stroganoff sauce beautifully. You can also use thighs or breasts as substitutions.
- Carrots: Adds a sweet note and a bit of texture contrast in the stroganoff.
- Olive Oil: Used to sauté the vegetables and chicken, it adds a depth of flavor.
- Celery Stalks and White Onion: Add a savory base to the stroganoff, enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Garlic: Brings a punchy, aromatic note to the dish that complements the chicken and vegetables.
- Rosemary: Infuses the stroganoff with a fragrant, earthy flavor.
- Chicken Broth: Provides the liquid base for the stroganoff, enhancing the flavors of the chicken and vegetables.
- Heavy Cream: Gives the stroganoff its characteristic rich and creamy consistency.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce, making it cling to every bite of chicken and noodles.
- Sour Cream: Adds tanginess to the dish, balancing out the richness of the cream.
- Egg Noodles: Soak up the sauce and provide a satisfying bite.
- Salt and Black Cracked Pepper: Basic seasonings that enhance the natural flavors of the ingredients.
Step One: Set Instant Pot to Saute Function
Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Place olive oil, diced onion, garlic, carrots, and celery into the pot. Saute for 3 minutes. Turn off saute mode.
Step Two: Add Chicken and Chicken Broth
Add the chicken to your inner pot. Pour chicken broth over the chicken mixture. Do not fill all the way when you add chicken broth. You just want to cover the vegetables and chicken.
Step Three: Add Seasonings
Add in rosemary, salt, and pepper. Close the Instant Pot lid and set the sealing valve to a sealed position. Set your pressure cooker to high pressure or manual for 10 minutes.
Step Four: Quick Release Pressure
Once the Instant Pot stops counting release the pressure by turning the Instant Pot valve to venting Once the pressure has been fully released, open the Instant Pot and remove the lid
Step Five: Cook Egg Noodles
Cook your pasta on the stove as directed. I find it’s best to cook the egg noodles separately as this will ensure the pasta doesn’t overcook in the Instant Pot, given the chicken needs a longer cooking time than pasta. (There is nothing worse than mushy pasta).
Step Six: Make Sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, and cornstarch. Add to Instant Pot and stir into the chicken broth, chicken and vegetable mixture.
Step Seven: Saute Stroganoff Sauce
Set saute mode back on and let the recipe come to a roaring boil for 5 minutes then turn off and allow it to cool. The cooling process will help the heavy cream and corn starch thicken.
Step Eight: Add Egg Noodles
Drain your egg noodles and add the pasta to your stroganoff mixture. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and combine until creamy.
Step Nine: Serve and Enjoy!
Ladle your Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff into bowls. Garnish the dish with parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary (or fresh parsley) and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few easy substitutions you can make to Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff if you are looking for a change or don’t have all the ingredients to hand.
- You can use beef broth instead of chicken broth.
- Add a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce or Dijon mustard for a bit of extra flavor.
- Switch the sour cream for greek yogurt or cream cheese.
- For a lower carb option switch the egg noodles and serve on mashed cauliflower.
- You could also serve the stroganoff sauce on mashed potatoes.
- You can use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder in place of your minced garlic.
What to Serve With Chicken Stroganoff?
Chicken stroganoff is a hearty and filling dish on its own so you won’t need to serve it with much. A simple side salad or steamed vegetables are all you need to complete the meal.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Stroganoff
Store Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Dinner tonight will taste amazing!
Other Instant Pot Recipes
Did you enjoy this easy chicken stroganoff recipe? You may also love the more Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Copy Cat Spicy Chipotle Chicken Pasta
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Southwestern Quiche
- Monterey Jack Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- 31 Lentil Recipes You Can Cook
- Instant Pot Chicken Mango Salad
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- Jalapeno Corn Dip
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff?
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff is a hearty and delicious recipe that uses tender chicken, vegetables, and creamy sauce to create an incredibly flavorful dish.
The Instant Pot makes the prep work quick and easy, so this dish can be on the table in no time.
Whether you’re looking for a comforting dinner after a busy day or a hearty meal to feed a hungry crowd, this pressure cooker Chicken Stroganoff is the perfect option.
What Culture Does Stroganoff Come From?
Stroganoff actually originated in Russia, and was traditionally made with beef or veal. Today, however, there are many different variations of this classic dish, including Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff. This recipe draws on traditional Russian flavors to create a delicious and hearty meal that is sure to please.
How to Pronounce Stroganoff?
Stroganoff is typically pronounced “stroh-gah-nuff” or “stroh-guh-noff”, with the accent on the first syllable. It originates from Russia, so some speakers may also pronounce it with a Russian or Slavic accent, like “strah-gah-nahff
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff Using This Recipe?
To turn this traditional chicken stroganoff into a chicken mushroom stroganoff dish simply add mushrooms at the same time as the celery and carrots. You can use sliced mushrooms or whole mushrooms.
Fresh mushrooms will give the dish a more earthy, savory flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy sauce. If adding mushrooms to this dish try cremini mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms or button mushrooms from your local grocery store.
Why Use Cornstarch in Instant Pot Stroganoff?
The cornstarch is the thickener in this recipe and it helps give this Instant Pot dish it’s creaminess. However, you can also use flour as a substitute for cornstarch if needed.
Can I Use Gluten Free Recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff?
Yes if you want to use gluten-free pasta to make Instant Pot Stroganoff, you can use gluten-free penne, farfalle or any other wide gluten-free pasta that works.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken in Instant Pot Stroganoff?
You sure can. Simply slice your frozen chicken breast or chicken tenders and add them to the pot. The chicken will be pressure cooked within 10 minutes so there is no need to change the cooking time.
The great thing about using frozen chicken breasts is you don’t have to prepare in advance and still get a tasty meal on the table in no time.
Best Drink to Go With Stroganoff
As for drinks you may want to try a glass of white wine to bring out the savory flavors in this Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff dish, or a crisp and refreshing beer.
Can You Freeze Chicken Stroganoff?
Yes, you can freeze Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff for up to 3 months. After you pressure cook, let the dish cool completely before placing it in an airtight freezer-safe container or zip-lock bag.
How to Reheat Chicken Stroganoff?
To reheat, simply place a serving of Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute or until warmed through.
Alternatively, you could also reheat Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff on the stovetop with a splash of chicken broth until it’s heated through.
Best Board for Dicing Vegetables
The key to making the perfect Instant Pot chicken stroganoff is dicing the vegetables and diced chicken the correct size.
I like to use a wooden cutting board for this task as it has some resistance to it and you can get a nice clean cut. A plastic cutting board may be too slippery for slicing the carrots and onion, so go with wood here if you can. I also like to cut my veggies first before chopping the chicken.
Here is a great Bamboo chopping board set perfect for all your chopping needs! Bamboo is an eco-friendly material and since you are cutting through food, the sharper the board, the better.
Simply choose your ingredients, slice and dice them as needed, then follow this Instant Pot chicken stroganoff recipe to cook up a delicious and flavorful dish for your whole family or friends to enjoy.
- 2 lbs Skinless Chicken Tenders - bite-sized cubes (You can also use skinless chicken thighs or skinless chicken breasts as substitutions)
- 4 Carrots- Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Celery Stalks- Diced
- 1 White Onion- Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 3 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Pack Egg Noodles
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Black Cracked Pepper
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Place olive oil, diced onion, garlic, carrots, and celery into the pot. Saute for 3 minutes. Turn off saute mode.
- Add the chicken to your inner pot. Pour chicken broth over the chicken mixture. Do not fill all the way when you add chicken broth. You just want to cover the vegetables and chicken.
- Add in rosemary, salt, and pepper. Close the Instant Pot lid and set the sealing valve to a sealed position. Set your pressure cooker to high pressure or manual for 10 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot stops counting release the pressure by turning the Instant Pot valve to venting Once the pressure has been fully released, open the Instant Pot and remove the lid
- Cook your pasta on the stove as directed. I find it's best to cook the egg noodles separately as this will ensure the pasta doesn't overcook in the Instant Pot, given the chicken needs a longer cooking time than pasta. (There is nothing worse than mushy pasta).
- In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, and cornstarch. Add to Instant Pot and stir into the chicken broth, chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Set saute mode back on and let the recipe come to a roaring boil for 5 minutes then turn off and allow it to cool. The cooling process will help the heavy cream and corn starch thicken.
- Drain your egg noodles and add the pasta to your stroganoff mixture. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and combine until creamy.
- Ladle your Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff into bowls. Garnish the dish with parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary (or fresh parsley) and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 2500mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g