Gluten free and low carb, this Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup is the ultimate comfort food for those cold winter days! Made with tender chicken, fresh veggies, savory cream cheese, and delicious spices, you’ll never go back to canned soup again.
Why We Love Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
I’m always looking for a good soup recipe because that canned stuff is bland, salty, and not at all worth it in my opinion. If you haven’t tried this chicken fajita soup, here’s why we love it:
- Packed with flavor. Made with fajita seasonings, fresh veggies, and cream cheese, this soup is packed with delicious flavor giving you the ultimate comfort food.
- Quick and easy. This soup can be whipped up in about 30-minutes using your Instant Pot. It’s the perfect busy weekday meal.
- It’s healthy. This fajita soup is gluten free and low carb for a truly healthy dinner idea that actually tastes good too!
Chicken Fajita Soup Ingredients
Made with fresh veggies, chicken, cheese, and traditional spices, you’ll have no trouble finding these ingredients at your local grocery store. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken: Provide the protein base of the soup and are easy to eat.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing veggies, it helps extract and develop their flavors.
- Onion: Adds a sweet depth of flavor that balances the richness of the cheese and cream.
- Peppers: Green and red peppers add a sweet yet slightly spicy flavor and vibrant color to the soup.
- Garlic cloves : Fresh minced garlic provides a warm, savory depth of flavor.
- Fajita Seasoning: Adds a blend of spices that gives the soup its characteristic Tex-Mex flavor.
- Broth: Chicken broth forms the liquid base of the soup, adding a savory richness.
- Diced Tomatoes: Contribute a tangy-sweet flavor and a unique texture to the soup.
- Green Chilies: Add a spicy kick and bold flavor to the soup.
- Cream Cheese: Adds a creamy texture and rich, dairy flavor to the soup.
- Shredded Cheese: Melts into the soup, enhancing its cheesy flavor.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Key for creating a rich, creamy texture in the soup.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup?
Making soup in your Instant Pot is so easy! Cut up your chicken into bite sized pieces and let’s get started!
Step 1: Sauté Chicken and Onion
Press sauté on your Instant Pot. Add in your olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up. Then, sauté the chicken and onion for about 5-minutes.
Step 2: Sauté the Peppers
After the chicken is browned and the onion is translucent, add in the peppers. Mix and sauté them for about 2-minutes.
Step 3: Deglaze the Pot
Hit the cancel button to turn off the sauté mode. Then, add garlic, fajita seasoning, and broth. Mix and deglaze the bottom of the pot by scraping off any debris that stuck to it.
Step 4: Add Tomatoes and Chiles
Next, add in the tomatoes, and chiles. Stir everything to mix it well.
Step 5: Pressure Cook
Close the lid on your Instant Pot, turn the pressure valve to the sealing position, hit pressure cook or manual, and set the time for 15-minutes.
Step 6: Manual Release
Once your Instant Pot is done cooking, manually release by bringing the sealing valve toward you.
Step 7: Add Cheeses
Open the Instant Pot by removing the lid. Add in your cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and cream. Mix well until all of your cheese’s have melted.
Transfer to your soup bowl and top with any toppings you like! You can keep it as is for a low carb option or add tortilla chips/strips!
Side Dish Suggestions
This soup is a perfectly hearty meal all on it’s own, but you can serve it with a variety of sides as well. Here are my suggestions:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Chicken Fajita Soup Healthy?
Yes, this soup is healthy. Additionally, it is gluten free and low carb. It does not contain any bread products or pasta of any kind. The veggies do add some carbs, but it also has quite a bit of fiber. If you are looking for a soup that is healthy and delicious, this is it!
Is Chicken Fajita Soup Spicy?
This soup may be a little spicy if you aren’t use to Mexican spices. However, the soup itself is not considered spicy.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Press sauté on your Instant Pot. Add in your olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up.
- Add to your hot oil your chicken, and onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the chicken is browned, and the onions become translucent.
- Still on sauté mode, add in your peppers. Mix and sauté for about 2 minutes – just allowing them to soften.
- Press “cancel” on your Instant Pot. Add in your garlic, fajita seasoning, and broth. Mix and scrape the bottom of your Instant Pot. You want to make sure there isn’t a remnant of the chicken nor the veggies left on the bottom as you will receive a “Burn” notice.
- Add in the tomatoes, and chiles. Stir.
- Turn your Instant Pot onto High Pressure for 15 minutes. Make sure your sealing valve is closed and pushed away from you.
- Once your Instant Pot is done cooking, manually release by bringing the sealing valve toward you.
- Open the Instant Pot by removing the lid. Add in your cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and cream. Mix well until all of your cheese’s have melted.
- Transfer to your soup bowl and top with any toppings you like! You can keep it as is for a low carb option or add tortilla chips/strips!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1105Total Fat: 71gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 363mgSodium: 2421mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 93g
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Delicious Instant Pot Beef Bean Kale Soup
- Homemade Mexican Street Corn Soup
- Split Pea and Ham Soup
- Instant Pot Dump and Dash Taco Soup