If you love the flavor of Dr Pepper then you are going to love this quick and easy Instant Pot Dr Pepper Chicken recipe. Whether you’re looking for a different taste for your chicken and rice dish or you fancy Dr Pepper chicken on a roll, this Dr Pepper chicken recipe is sure to go down well with the whole family and is a great chicken dish to add to your weeknight menu. is sure to go down well with the whole family.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Dr Pepper Chicken Marinade Recipe
- Surprisingly Delicious: The Dr Pepper imparts a unique, sweet and tangy flavor to the chicken.
- Effortless Cooking: Utilize your Instant Pot for a hands-off, foolproof marinating process.
- Versatile Dish: Serve as a main dish or use in salads, wraps, or tacos.
The Best Instant Pot de Pepper Chicken Recipe
This marinated Dr Pepper Chicken Instant Pot recipe is insanely good! Just 3 simple ingredients, chicken + Dr Pepper + marinade and you have a meal that the whole family will love!
The sweet, sticky Dr Pepper caramelizes on the chicken as it cooks, creating the most wonderfully flavorful and tender chicken you’ve ever tasted!
Serve it over rice or noodles for an easy weeknight meal that everyone will love!
Instant Pot Dr Pepper Chicken Ingredients
There are a few key ingredients that go into making a great Dr Pepper chicken recipe in the instant pot.
- Skinless Chicken Thighs (Or Chicken Breasts): The main protein of the dish. Thighs are typically juicier and more flavorful, but breasts can be used for a leaner option.
- Sweet BBQ Sauce: Adds a tangy sweetness that pairs well with the savory chicken and the unique flavor of Dr Pepper.
- Dr Pepper: Adds a unique depth of flavor to the marinade – its caramel notes and slight fruitiness complement the BBQ sauce and enhance the overall taste of the chicken.
How to Make Dr Pepper Chicken Marinade?
Step One: Add Dr Pepper to Bowl
To make the marinade, simply pour half cup of Dr Pepper into a bowl.
Step Two: Add Chicken to Marinade
Add your skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast into the dr pepper marinade and refrigerate for two hours. You can skip this step if you’re in a hurry or using frozen chicken pieces.
How to Make Instant Pot Dr Pepper Chicken?
How to cook your Dr Pepper Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot:
Step One: Pour in Dr Pepper
Pour ¼ cup of Dr Pepper into the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Add Marinated Chicken Thighs
Place the chicken thighs over Dr Pepper liquid.
Step Three: Mix Dr Pepper and Barbecue Sauce
In a large measuring cup mix together the remaining Dr Pepper and barbecue sauce.
Pour this Dr Pepper marinade over the chicken thighs and stir with a wooden spoon
Step Four: Pressure Cook Dr Pepper Chicken
Cover Instant Pot and lock the lid closed. Set the valve to sealing position. Program the manual button to “pressure cook” on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Step Five: Naturally Release Pressure
When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the electric pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before a quick release of the remaining pressure.
Step Six: Shred Instant Pot Chicken
Carefully remove the Dr Pepper chicken from the Instant Pot and using two forks, shred the chicken. If you didn’t use boneless chicken remove any bones.
Step Seven: Plate the Chicken
Add about 1 cup of the sauce from the bottom of the Instant Pot to the shredded chicken, coating the chicken but not making it soupy. Serve with baked potatoes, buns, sliders, or as it is.
Did you Enjoy this Instant Pot Dr Pepper Chicken Recipe?
You may also love the following Instant Pot chicken recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings with Jalapeno Jelly BBQ
- Honey Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken and Quinoa
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Greek Chicken And Rice
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
More Dr Pepper F&Q’s
What Is Dr Pepper Chicken?
In a nutshell, Dr Pepper BBQ chicken is chicken that has been marinated in Dr Pepper, then cooked in the Instant Pot or crockpot until tender and juicy. The result is a delicious taste of barbecue chicken with a hint of sweetness from Dr Pepper.
What Does Dr Pepper Taste Like?
Dr Pepper has a sweet and unique flavor that many people love. It is also quite refreshing, making it the perfect beverage for hot summer days!
What Flavors Are in Dr Pepper Chicken?
Dr Pepper has a large variety of flavors which make it unique and different.
Dr Pepper is a delicious soda with a wide variety of unique flavors. Whether you prefer bold and tangy notes of cola, sweet and smooth tastes of cherry, or sharp and spicy hints of licorice, Dr Pepper has something for everyone.
Instant Pot Dr Pepper chicken marinade is packed with bold flavors such as maretto almond, vanilla, blackberry, apricot, blackberry, caramel, pepper, anise, sarsaparilla, ginger, molasses, lemon, plum, orange, nutmeg, cardamon, allspice, coriander juniper, birch and prickly ash.
And when you turn this popular drink into an Instant Pot Dr Pepper chicken recipe, you have the best of both worlds!
Why Make Dr Pepper Chicken in the Instant Pot?
This Instant Pot chicken recipe is a quick and easy meal that will soon become a favorite dinner.
Whether you use boneless skinless chicken thighs or large chicken breasts in this recipe the flavor will turn out amazing and you will find yourself making this dish again and again.
So if you are looking for an easy weeknight meal that tastes great and is simple to make, then try out this Instant Pot Dr Pepper chicken recipe today!
Do I Have to Shred Chicken?
No! This recipe calls for the chicken to be shredded at the end as it is served. This makes it perfect for serving on sandwiches, in tacos and more.
If you are feeding a crowd or want to save time, simply cut the cooked chicken into small pieces before serving!
So if you’re looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal that your whole family will love, then try this Instant Pot Dr Pepper chicken Recipe bbq style! Barbecue fanatics love it!
How Long Can You Marinade Chicken?
The amount of time that you can marinade chicken will depend on the recipe, but most recipes call for allowing at least 2 hours or overnight.
However, some marinades may need to be refrigerated and soaked for up to 24 hours.
It’s important to read your specific recipe carefully so that you can be sure that the chicken is marinated fully.
If you have time, it’s a good idea to try and plan ahead when making your marinade so that you can let it sit for longer, as this will usually result in more delicious flavor!
Can You Use Marinade as a Sauce?
This depends on the recipe and the ingredients in your marinade, but it is often possible to use a marinade as a sauce or glaze at the end of cooking.
This is normally done by removing the chicken from the pot, adding additional liquid (such as barbecue sauce or another marinade), then returning the chicken to the pot to finish cooking.
If you plan on using your marinade this way, it is important to taste-test and adjust seasonings as needed, since not all marinades will have a lot of flavor once heated up again.
However, with a little experimentation and some adjustments, you can create the perfect finishing sauce for your Instant Pot Dr Pepper chicken recipe!
Can I Make Slow Cooker Dr Pepper Chicken?
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe in the slow cooker!
Simply add your marinated chicken to a lightly greased slow cooker, pour ½ cup of Dr Pepper over the top, and then cover with your favorite bbq sauce.
Cook chicken on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until the cooking time is complete. You’ll have an amazing flavor, even better than pulled pork!
Is Dr Pepper Gluten Free?
Yes, Dr Pepper is gluten free, making it a great choice for people who are following a gluten-free diet.
Is Dr Pepper Vegan?
Dr Pepper is not vegan, as it contains added ingredients that are not suitable for a vegan diet.
What Flavor Is Dr Pepper?
Dr Pepper is a unique beverage with a distinctive blend of 23 different flavors, including vanilla, cherry and citrus.
Who Makes Dr Pepper?
Dr Pepper is made by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, one of the largest beverage companies in the world.
Does Dr Pepper Have Caffeine?
Yes, Dr Pepper does have caffeine. In fact, one 12-oz can of Dr Pepper contains about 41 mg of caffeine.
This is less than the amount found in most other sodas and energy drinks, making Dr Pepper a popular choice for those trying to reduce their caffeine intake or avoid it altogether.
Does Dr Pepper Zero Have Caffeine?
No, Dr Pepper Zero does not contain any caffeine. This makes it a great choice for those who want to avoid caffeine or are trying to limit their consumption of it.
How Many Calories in Dr Pepper?
There are about 150 calories in a can of Dr Pepper.
How Much Sugar Is in Dr Pepper?
A can of Dr Pepper contains about 40 grams of sugar.
Is Dr Pepper Good for You?
While Dr Pepper may not be the healthiest beverage choice, it does contain some essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin B6 and calcium.
When Was Dr Pepper Invented?
Dr Pepper was first invented in the late 19th century by a pharmacist named Charles Alderton. Since then, it has become one of the most popular beverage brands in the world!
Does Dr Pepper Have Red Dye?
Dr Pepper does not have red dye.
- 4 Pounds Skinless Chicken Thighs (Or Chicken breasts)
- 1 Bottle Sweet BBQ Sauce (2 Cups)
- 1 Cup Of Dr Pepper (Divided in half)
- Pour ¼ cup of Dr Pepper into the Instant Pot.
- Place the chicken thighs over Dr Pepper liquid
- In a large measuring cup mix together the remaining Dr Pepper and barbecue sauce.
- Pour this Dr Pepper marinade over the chicken thighs and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover Instant Pot and lock the lid closed. Set the valve to sealing position. Program the manual button to “pressure cook” on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the electric pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before a quick release of the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the Dr Pepper chicken from the Instant Pot and using two forks, shred the chicken. If you didn't use boneless chicken remove any bones.
- Add about 1 cup of the sauce from the bottom of the Instant Pot to the shredded chicken, coating the chicken but not making it soupy. Serve with baked potatoes, buns, sliders, or as it is.
- To make the marinade, simply pour half cup of Dr Pepper into a bowl.
- Add your skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast into the dr pepper marinade and refrigerate for two hours. You can skip this step if you're in a hurry or using frozen chicken pieces.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, simply place the chicken into your Instant Pot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g