If you love Taco soup then you’re going to love this Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe. The best thing about Instant Pot Dump and Dash Taco Soup is that it’s a recipe that requires minimal effort.
If you’re in a hurry and need a meal on the table quickly then you’ll want to try this Instant Pot taco soup as it’s super quick to make.
This Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe that is perfect for colder nights and cooler weather. Add a few toppings and this dump-and-dash soup will soon become a family favorite.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Bursting with Flavor: The soup is packed with vibrant, Mexican-inspired spices and ingredients.
- One-Pot Wonder: Easy preparation and clean-up with the Instant Pot.
- Customizable: Add your favorite toppings like cheese, sour cream, or avocado for a personal touch.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Taco Soup
Here are the ingredients needed for this dump-and-dash soup recipe:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: The main protein in this dish, providing a hearty base that absorbs the flavors of the spices well.
- Rotel (Canned Tomatoes & Green Chilies): Adds a tangy freshness and a hint of heat, enhancing the overall flavor profile of the soup.
- Taco Seasoning: Infuses the soup with a mix of traditional Mexican spices, giving it that authentic taco taste.
- Cumin: Lends an earthy, warm flavor that’s integral to the dish’s signature taste.
- Small Onion: Contributes a savory sweetness when cooked, balancing out the spices nicely.
- Seasoned Black Beans: Adds texture and a rich, earthy flavor while also boosting the soup’s protein content.
- Tomato Sauce: Thickens the soup and adds a savory depth of flavor.
- Frozen Corn: Injects a pop of sweetness and crunch, contrasting beautifully with the softer textures in the dish.
- Chili Powder: Gives the soup a spicy kick, adding to the complexity of the flavors.
- Water: Acts as the cooking liquid, ensuring the chicken stays tender and moist while allowing the flavors to meld together perfectly.
How to Make Instant Pot Taco Soup?
Here is a step-by-step guide to cooking Taco soup in the electric pressure cooker.
Step One: Add Ingredients to Instant Pot
Add all of your ingredients into the Instant Pot. Give it a good stir to make sure that everything is incorporated well.
Step Two: Seal Your Pressure Cooker
Close the Instant Pot lid by twisting it closed. Close the valve to seal the pressure by pushing the valve away from you.
Step Three: Pressure Cook Your Taco Soup for 10 Minutes
Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. After the Instant Pot has completed pressure cooking, do a quick release by pulling the valve toward you to release the pressure.
Step Four: Shred the Chicken Breast
Remove the chicken breast from the Instant Pot and transfer to a cutting board. Shred your chicken breasts, and then add the shredded chicken back to your Instant Pot, mixing well.
Step Five: Garnish and Serve
Add your soup to bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings. Enjoy your Instant Pot Taco Soup!
This fantastic Instant pot taco soup is one of the most popular Instant Pot soup recipes here at The Instant Pot Table.
This is an easy taco soup to make and makes an easy weeknight dinner.
This fantastic Instant pot taco soup is weight watchers friendly and has zero points. It’s so yummy and super tasty!
Instant Pot Taco Soup Bonus Tip
Bonus Tip: This dump-and-dash Taco soup tastes even better the next day as all of the flavors have time to marinate. So if you can, try making it ahead of time for a delicious meal the next night.
What to Serve With Taco Soup?
Serve this delicious soup with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, tortilla strips, cilantro, and shredded cheese. You can also garnish this taco soup Instant Pot recipe with diced green onions and cilantro.
We also like to serve our bread with a crusty bread roll and a little butter.
More Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Did you enjoy this Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe? You may also love the following Instant Pot recipes.
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Instant Pot Chinese Dumpling Soup
- Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Taco Soup?
Taco Soup is a light, flavorful soup that contains all the flavors of a taco. It’s a great way to enjoy tacos without having to make an actual taco.
This soup usually contains shredded chicken, beans, kernel corn, diced tomatoes and lots of spices.
Taco soup can also be made with ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey but this Instant Pot Taco soup is made with delicious skinless chicken breasts.
Is Taco Soup Healthy?
Yes! Yes and Yes! This dump-and-dash Instant Pot Taco soup recipe is super healthy. It’s packed with protein and goodness from the chicken, tomatoes, corn and beans.
The taco seasoning has plenty of flavor that not only adds a nice zing to the soup, but the various spices such as cumin, oregano, and chili powder are a natural source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
Instant Pot Taco Soup Cooking Times
Pressure cooker taco soup takes 5 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook. It serves between 4-6 people.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken in Instant Pot Taco Soup?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken in this taco soup recipe!
Simply increase the pressure cooking time from 10 to 12 minutes and then proceed with the rest of the instructions.
Do I Have to Use Rotel Canned Tomatoes?
No, you can use any kind of diced tomatoes. We use Rotel as we like the kick it adds to the soup.
Can I Use Canned Corn Instead of Frozen Corn?
Yes, you can use canned corn instead of frozen. Simply drain the canned corn and add it to your soup as instructed in the recipe.
Can I Freeze Instant Pot Taco Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this taco soup recipe. Simply let the soup cool completely and then transfer it to airtight freezer containers.
How Long Can I Freeze Taco Soup For?
You can store the taco soup in your freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in your refrigerator when ready to enjoy again!
Best Taco Seasoning for This Soup Recipe
You can use any store-bought taco seasoning for this dump-and-dash soup recipe. Alternatively, you can use homemade taco seasoning mix. For a great taco seasoning recipe try this one here!
Can I Add Different Canned Beans to This Soup?
Yes. You can add other types of beans to Instant Pot Taco soup. We sometimes add kidney beans or pinto beans to our soup.
Can I Make This Taco Soup Spicier?
Yes, you can make this recipe spicier by adding extra chili powder or cayenne pepper. You can also add jalapenos or a small can of diced green chiles for an added kick!
Can I Make This Soup on the Stovetop?
Yes, you can make this Taco Soup on the stovetop.
Instead of pressure cooking in the Instant Pot, simply add all of your ingredients to a large pot or dutch oven and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Can I Make a Slow Cooker Version of Taco Soup?
Yes, you can make a slow-cooker version of this taco soup.
Add all of your ingredients to the slow cooker except for the frozen corn.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Then add in the frozen corn 30 minutes before serving.
How to Make Vegetarian Taco Soup
Just follow the same instructions as the Taco Soup, but leave out the chicken and replace with about 8 oz of sliced mushrooms.
Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth or beef broth and
then add in spices to taste. You can also add in some fresh cilantro just before serving.
How to Reheat Taco Soup?
You can reheat this Instant Pot Taco Soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
If using the stovetop, heat over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through.
If using the microwave, transfer soup to a microwave-safe dish and heat in 30-second intervals until heated through. Enjoy!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 10oz cans Rotel
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 15.5oz can seasoned black beans, drained
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 10oz bag frozen corn
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup water
- Add all of your ingredients into the Instant Pot. Give it a good stir to make sure that everything is incorporated well.
- Close the Instant Pot lid by twisting it closed. Close the valve to seal the pressure by pushing the valve away from you.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. After the Instant Pot has completed pressure cooking, do a quick release by pulling the valve toward you to release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken breast from the Instant Pot and transfer to a cutting board. Shred your chicken breasts, and then add the shredded chicken back to your Instant Pot, mixing well.
- Add your soup to bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings. Enjoy your Instant Pot Taco Soup!
You can switch rotel for fresh tomatoes if you prefer. Also fresh corn can be used if you have no frozen corn.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1238mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 14gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g