Need something quick and easy for dinner? As a mom myself, I get it! Sometimes we just need to get dinner in and out. This Instant Pot poached chicken recipe is just what you need for a quick and easy dinner that everyone will love!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What is Poached Chicken?
Poached chicken is chicken that is completely covered or submerged in liquid. It is not a boil. Instead, it is a gentler technique that keeps the chicken at a set, constant temperature.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
I love this recipe because it’s quick and easy, but here are some other reasons why you’ll love this recipe, too:
- Great for picky eaters. Season this poached chicken any way you like. For picky eaters, you can just use salt and pepper.
- No special ingredients. Besides a little garlic, broth and bay leaves, you won’t need any special ingredients to make poached chicken.
- Its super quick. This chicken can be done and on the table in less than 30-minutes. So, if you are in a hurry, this is the perfect recipe. You will also have time to slice it beautifully. Usually, I use a knife or meat slicer. If you don’t have one, you can choose the best meat slicer here.
Instant Pot Poached Chicken Ingredients
As I stated above, you don’t need any special ingredients for this recipe. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Broth: I find that using broth makes all meats juicier and delicious. If you don’t have broth, you can always use water and bullion cubes.
- Seasoning: If you have picky eaters like mine, you’ll love that you only need salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and a couple bay leaves for seasoning. Or, you can add your own.
You can find exact measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
How to Make Instant Pot Poached Chicken
This recipe is perfect for beginners and can be whipped up in no time at all. Follow the simple steps below for a delicious entree.
Step 1: Season the Chicken
First, season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper, or with whatever seasoning you choose.
Step 2: Put it in the Instant Pot
Then, place your chicken in the Instant pot, pour the broth over it, crush the garlic and add the bay leaves to the pot.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Next, secure the lid, put the sealing vent on the lid into the “sealing” position, and push the “manual” or “pressure cook” button for 12 minutes.
Step 4: Release the Pressure
For this recipe, you can either do a natural release or a quick release depending on your time. I personally find that a natural release keeps the chicken more tender.
Serve and Enjoy!
Do I Have to Use Chicken Breasts?
I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts when making poached chicken, but you don’t have to. If you choose, you can use chicken strips, boneless, skinless thighs or another cut you prefer.
Can I Cook Poached CHICKEN From Frozen?
Absolutely! The absolute best thing about using your Instant Pot is that you can cook anything from frozen! However, keep in mind that if you are cooking it from frozen, the cooking time will need to be increased. Instead of 12 minutes, you will increase the time to 15 minutes. Check out our Frozen Meat in the Instant Pot post for more information!
Side Dish Options
Not sure what to make with this deliciously juicy poached chicken? Here are some of our favorite side options:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Gourmet Carrots in the Instant Pot
- Tasty Summer Broccoli Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup broth or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- (additional seasoning as desired)
- Season chicken as desired.
- Place chicken in Instant Pot.
- Crush the garlic with the back of your knife and add to the Instant Pot along with the bay leaves.
- Pour in the broth and secure the Instant Pot lid.
- Cook at manual or pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Natural or quick release, as desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
Other Chicken Recipes to Try
Chicken is one of the most versatile meats you can make. Whether you want Chinese or Italian, we’ve got you covered with these other delicious chicken recipes to try:
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Instant Pot Copycat Big Mac With Big Mac Sauce
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken with Mushrooms
- The Best Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taquitos
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Keto Snacks You Will Love
Remember, sharing is caring! Please pin this post to Pinterest for others to enjoy.
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!