Made with andouille sausage, red kidney beans, and rice, this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is so thick, creamy, and delicious! It comes out perfectly tender every…single…time!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why We Love Red Beans and Rice
Red beans and rice is a traditional Louisiana Creole cuisine. It is usually made on Mondays with red beans, vegetables, spices and whatever leftover pork was made on Sunday. We love this delicious Creole cuisine and here’s why:
- It’s so easy. After cooking up the sausage, you add everything together and let the Instant Pot do the work. You don’t have to be a master chef to make this meal.
- Simple ingredients. Every ingredient you need for this recipe can be found at your local grocery store, so you won’t be searching high and low for anything.
- Packed with flavor. With the onions, peppers, garlic, cajun seasoning, and sausage, this dish is bursting with spicy and savory flavors that will have you grabbing seconds.
Red Beans and Rice Ingredients
The best part about this recipe is you can double it and have leftovers for the next day that you can use as another meal or lunch. Get out your shopping list and jot these ingredients down!
- Sausage: I used turkey sausage as a healthier alternative, but you can use andouille or smoked sausage as well.
- Olive oil: I used olive oil, but you can use butter or any oil for sautéeing your food.
- Diced onions: I like to use sweet onions for this dish because it adds another layer of flavor.
- Bell pepper: Red bell peppers work best for this dish, but you can use green, yellow, or orange as well.
- Minced garlic: If you don’t feel like chopping and mincing a garlic clove, grab the jar of already minced garlic for less prep work.
- Red kidney beans: You will need a 1-pound bag of dried kidney beans.
- Broth: I used chicken broth, but you could also use beef or vegetable broth. Use low sodium broth for a healthier alternative.
- Seasonings: For this recipe, you will need cajun seasoning, dried sprigs of thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper for seasoning.
- Rice: You’ll serve this over cooked rice. You can use your Instant Pot to cook the rice, or you can get Success Boil in A Bag Rice for a quick and easy option.
How to Make Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
After you cook up the sausage and sauté your veggies, the Instant Pot does all the work for you! This Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is going to be your new favorite meal!
Step 1: Sauté The Meat
Hit the sauté button on your Instant Pot. Add the oil and begin cooking your sausage until it begins to brown. Remove it, and set it to the side.
Step 2: Sauté The Veggies
Then, add more oil and add in the onions and bell peppers. Cook the veggies until they become soft or about 3-minutes. Once they are soft, add the garlic.
Step 3: Deglaze the Pot
Once the veggies are done, use a wooden spoon and some water to scrape any particles from the bottom of your pot.
Step 4: Add Everything to The Pot
Next, add in the beans and chicken stock. Stir. Then, add in the thyme, cajun seasoning, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir.
Step 5: Pressure Cook
Close the lid, put the sealing valve in the sealing position and hit your manual or pressure cook button. Set the time for 1 hour and 20-minutes. Once the time is up, do a quick release by turning the sealing valve to the venting position.
Step 6: Remove the Bay Leaves and Mash
Open the lid and remove the bay leaves. Then, use a potato masher and smash the beans about 6-7 times to release the flavors.
Serve over rice and enjoy!
How Do I Make Rice in the Instant Pot
This recipe makes the bean soup, but you can make rice in your Instant Pot as well. Rice needs to be cooked separately if you want it to turn out right. Learn How to Cook Instant Pot Rice, Here!
Are Red Beans and Kidney Beans the Same?
No, these are actually two different types of beans. Red beans are smaller and rounder than kidney beans, kind of like pinto beans, but red in color. However, both beans can typically be used interchangeably in recipes that call for red beans.
Sides To Serve with instant pot beans and sausage
This rInstant Pot Red Beans and Rice is hearty and delicious all on its own, but you can add sides if you like. Here are some of our favorite sides to serve with it:
This Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe is very healthy yet flavorful recipe to make. You will feel energize when you have this on your day.
- 1-pound sausage (I used turkey sausage for a healthier alternative, or you can do andouille or smoked sausage works) cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking spray for a healthier alternative
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic-minced
- 1-pound dried red kidney beans-rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning- I used Tony Chacheres
- 4 sprigs dried thyme, remove leaves from stem
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- cooked rice-1 cup per serving
- Turn your instant pot on sauté mode. Add your Oil or cooking spray to the bottom of the pan once hot. Add in your sausage. Stir and cook until side start to brown. Remove from instant pot and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Add more oil or cooking well to your pan. Add in your onions and red bell peppers. Continue to mix and stir until your vegetables become softened. It should take about three minutes. Once your vegetables have softened add in your garlic. Stir.
- Once your vegetables have started to release water, scrub the bottom of the pot to remove any Brown residue from the meat.
- Add in your beans, and chicken stock. Stir.
- Add in your thyme, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, and salt and pepper. Stir.
- Put the lid on the instant pot and twist to seal. Close your sealing valve. Set your instant pot to high-pressure for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Once the time is up, do a quick release by opening the sealing valve to release pressure.
- Once you have opened up your instant pot, remove the bay leaves.
- Take a potato masher and smash your beans about six or seven times to release the flavors of the beans.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 2064mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Other One Pot Recipes to Try
Looking for more recipes like this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Instant Pot Carnitas Rice Bowl
- Instant Pot Gumbo with Sausage and Shrimp
- Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper with Rice
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has studied nutrition for children and has also taught cooking skills to adults. Angela loves to share family meals and easy instant pot recipes here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!