You can become a gourmet chef using the Instant Pot Sous Vide Function! This gradual and controlled cooking method allows you to cook food to perfection with the push of a button. Learn how to cook Sous Vide in the Instant Pot!
What Is Sous Vide Cooking?
Sous vide cooking is a cooking method that uses temperature control to cook various meals to an ultimate perfection.
Sous vide is a French word that means “under vacuum.” It’s called this because food is placed in a vacuum-sealed bag, then cooked for a specific amount of time in a temperature controlled water bath.
How Sous Vide Works?
Because the temperature is controlled during Instant Pot sous vide cooking, it never fluctuates to extreme lows or highs. Instead, the cooking process is gradual and controlled.
This slow method of cooking is typically used for cooking proteins such as steak, vegetables, potatoes, and eggs, so that they are never overcooked. Thus, this method results in perfectly cooked food and restaurant-quality dishes.
Is Sous Vide Worth It?
If you want to become a gourmet chef or simply enjoy cooking, sous vide is definitely worth it! You can easily cook restaurant-quality food at home, and with the added convenience of the Instant Pot, you don’t even have to stay in the kitchen for long.
So if you’re ready to take your culinary skills to the next level, start using the Instant Pot sous vide function today! You’ll be amazed by the delicious results.
How to Pronounce Sous Vide
Some people don’t know how to say sous vide correctly, so here’s a quick tip. Simply say “sue veed” instead of “soo-vee-day.” This will help you remember that the emphasis should be on the first syllable, not the second.
Instant Pot Sous Vide Setting
Like the traditional sous vide method, the Instant Pot sous vide button allows you to cook food in a slow, gradual, controlled manner. However, when using the sous vide function on your Instant Pot, the pot heats to the desired temperature, but there won’t be any circulation inside the pot like the traditional method.
Additionally, the Instant Pot function is different because you don’t have to do all the hard work of checking the temperature and watching the pot. The Instant Pot takes care of all the nitty gritty. It’s a sous vide machine without the traditional sous vide circulators.
Do All Instant Pots Have the Sous Vide Function?
No! The original Instant Pot was not created to sous vide and only a few of the Instant Pot models have the sous vide button, so if you want to use this function, you have to pick the right Instant Pot.
There are only 5 Instant Pots that come equipped with this function:
- Instant Pot Duo Plus – Buy the Instant Pot Duo Plus Here
- Instant Pot Max – Get The Instant Pot MAX Here
- Duo Crisp Instant Pot –Duo Crisp Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Duo SV –Instant Pot Duo SV
- Duo Gourmet Instant Pot –Duo Gourmet Instant Pot
Sous Vide Temperature
Since the Instant Pot sous vide function is different from traditional sous vide cooking, you will have to do a little bit of math to figure out the desired temperature and timing for each meal.
Luckily, there are many guides online that can help you determine how long and at what temperature to cook various foods with the Instant Pot. Check online sous vide recipes and our sous vide cooking chart below for the exact sous vide cooking times needed for your recipes.
How to Use Instant Pot Sous Vide Function by Model
The sous vide function works a bit differently with each model. Check your model below to find out how to use each one:
Duo Plus, Duo SV, or Duo Gourmet
- Press the sous vide button.
- Press the + or – buttons and adjust the temperature.
- Then, hit the sous vide button again.
- Use the + or – buttons to adjust the time.
- After 10-seconds, the display will change to on. Once it has reached the right temperature, the Instant Pot will beep and the display will change to the cooking time and count down.
- Press the sous vide button.
- Use the + or – temperature buttons to adjust the temperature.
- Then, use the + or – time buttons to adjust the time.
- Hit the start button.
- The display will change to on. Once it has reached the right temperature, the Instant Pot will beep and the display will change to the cook time and count down.
Instant Pot Max
- Select the sous vide smart program.
- Then, select “hour” and turn the knob to set the desired cook time.
- Select “minute” and adjust the minutes with the knob.
- Next, select the temperature and turn the knob to adjust the temperature.
- Finally, select start.
- Once it has reached the right temperature, the Instant Pot will beep and the display will change to the cook time and count down.
How to Use Instant Pot Sous Vide Cooking Function
Aside from an Instant Pot with the sous vide function, you will also need good quality ziploc freezer bags or a sous vide bag and tongs.
The sous vide function works a bit differently with each Instant Pot method, but the process is the same. Here’s an easy step-by-step guide on how to use the Instant Pot sous vide function.
This cooking technique (the sous vide option) is a popular choice for cooking food slowly and gradually, allowing it to retain its moisture and produce amazing results.
Step 1: Add Water to the Instant Pot
First, fill your inner pot at least half full with water. Close the lid and leave your pressure valve in the “venting” position.
Pro tip: You may need more water depending on what Sous vide ingredient you are cooking. The water needs to completely cover the food. For example, you may need more liquid if you have a large delicate fish in comparison to a small pork chop.
Step 2: Program the Sous Vide
As stated above, the sous vide program will be different for different Instant pot models. Push the sous vide button and adjust the temperature and cooking time based on the recipe you are using.
Step 3: Add Food to Sous Vide Bag
Add whatever food you are making to your ziploc freezer bag or sous vide sealable bag. Then, squeeze out as much air as you can from the bag. Seal the bag leaving a 1-inch opening.
Step 4: Remove Additional Air
Use your tongs to gently lower the bag into the water with the zipper up. The water will push the rest of the air out sealing the bag around your food. This is called the displacement method. Now seal the bag completely.
If you have a vacuum sealer machine then follow the instructions for vacuum sealing your meat.
Step 5: Sous Vide Cook Your Ingredients
Completely lower the bag of food into the water so that it is fully submerged. Close the Instant Pot lid while the food cooks.
Step 6: Remove Lid and Let Meat Rest
If you cooked meat, you will want to remove it and set it on a cutting board to rest for an additional 15-minutes. After that, you can sear the meat on both sides if you choose.
Instant Pot Sous Vide Cooking Tips
- Place warm water in the inner pot to speed up the preheating process.
- Check the water temperature using a thermometer before placing the food in the water.
- If the water temperature is lower than the programmed temperature, increase the programmed temperature (see chart below) and let it heat up again. Then check the temperature.
- Lay sous vide food pieces flat with no overlapping.
- If cooking food over 158℉, double bag your food as higher temperatures can weaken the plastic resulting in leakage.
- Dry your sous vide meat as much as possible before searing.
How to Prevent Uneven Cooking?
One potential challenge with sous vide cooking is uneven cooking or food that is undercooked on one side and overcooked on the other.
This can occur if you don’t properly balance your food in the bag before sealing it if you lose track of cook time and leave your food in the water bath for too long.
Instant Pot Sous Vide Cooking Times
If you don’t have a recipe that you are following, you can use the chart below to help you with the temperature and sous vide cooking time.
Keep in mind that the higher the temperature, the more well-done your food will be. The time will also depend on how well done you want it as well as the size of the meat.
Instant Pot Sous Vide Recipes
Here is a quick guide for using the sous vide program on your Instant Pot
|Sous Vide Steak||130℉ to 140℉||1.5 to 3 hours|
|Sous Vide Chicken Breasts||145°F to 150 °F||1.5 to 4 hours|
|Sous Vide Chicken Thighs||148°F to 165 °F||2 to 4 hours|
|Sous Vide Turkey Breasts||145°F to 150°F||3.5 to 5 hours|
|Sous Vide Pork Chops||135°F to 150°F||1 to 3 hours|
|Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin||140°F to 150°F||1.5 to 3 hours|
|Sous Vide Firm Fish||125°F to 130°F||30 to 45 minutes|
|Sous Vide Delicate Fish||120°F to 130°F||20 to 30 minutes|
|Sous Vide Scallops||140°F||30 minutes|
|Sous Vide Shrimp||135°F to 140°F||30 to 45 minutes|
How to Sous Vide Steak in the Instant Pot Duo
Looking to cook Instant Pot Sous vide steak? Here is a simple recipe for cooking steak in the sous vide function of your Instant Pot:
Ingredients for Sous Vide Steak
1-2 steaks, depending on size and desired doneness
1 tbsp oil or butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions for Sous Vide Steak:
1. Preheat the Instant Pot by filling it with warm water. Depending on the size of your steak, heat the water to 130-140℉.
2. Season the steaks with salt and pepper to taste, then add them to a ziploc bag or sous vide bag along with 1 tbsp oil or butter.
3. Gently lower the bag into the pot of water, then seal it completely.
4. Cook the steak for 1.5 to 3 hours, depending on size and desired doneness.
5. Remove the steak from the pot and let it rest for 15 minutes before searing or serving as desired. Enjoy!
Can You Sous Vide Frozen Steak?
Yes, it is possible to sous vide frozen steak in the Instant Pot. To do so, start by preheating the pot with warm water and preparing your steaks according to the recipe above.
Then, place a bag filled with frozen steaks into the pot of water and cook for 1.5 to 3 hours, depending on the size and desired doneness.
Remember to carefully monitor the water temperature throughout the cooking process, as using frozen meat may lower the overall temperature of the pot.
When your steaks are cooked through and safely thawed, remove them from the bag and serve as desired. Enjoy!
Can You Sous Vide Frozen Chicken & Pork Chops?
Yes, it is possible to sous vide frozen chicken in the Instant Pot as well as other frozen meats like pork tenderloins and pork chops.
Simply cook for longer than the fresh chicken/pork recommended times, depending on the size and desired doneness of your chicken.
How to Sous Vide Salmon
Looking to try sous vide salmon in the Instant Pot? Here is a simple recipe for cooking salmon using the sous vide function:
1 lb. salmon fillets, fresh or frozen
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp oil or butter, optional
1. Preheat the Instant Pot by filling it with warm water.
2. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to taste, then add them to a ziploc bag or sous vide bag along with 1 tbsp oil or butter (optional). 3. Gently lower the bag into the inner pot of water, then seal it completely.
4. Cook the salmon for 15 to 45 minutes, depending on desired doneness and size of your fillets.
5. Remove the salmon from the bag and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Sous Vide V’s Slow Cooker
When comparing sous vide vs slow cooker, there are a few key differences to keep in mind.
Firstly, the temperature range of sous vide is much more precise and controlled than that of a slow cooker.
This makes it easier to cook foods at exact temperatures, which helps to ensure even cooking throughout your food.
The slow cooker on the other hand is a more versatile cooking tool that can be used for just about any dish or recipe.
So, which one is better comes down to your own personal preferences and cooking style. If you’re looking for more precise control over the temperature of your food, then cooking sous vide in a sealed bag may be the better option for you.
If you’re looking for versatility and ease of use, then the slow cooker or even pressure cooking method may be a better choice.