Made with fresh spinach leaves, Italian sausage, and cheese-stuffed tortellini in a delicious creamy sauce, this Instant Pot Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup is perfect for those crisp fall days!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why We Love Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup
The weather is getting colder and that means it’s soup season! Soup season seems to last an eternity and we get tired of eating chicken and noodles, tomato, and potato soup. So, I like to add new flavors to our palette like this sausage and cheese tortellini soup! We all love this soup, and here’s why:
- It’s easy! I kind of turn into a bear that hibernates during the winter months, so this easy soup is perfect for those lazy days when I just don’t want to cook anything fancy. Just throw it all in and it’s done.
- It’s bursting with flavor: The Italian sausage paired with spinach, parmesan cheese, and cheese-stuffed tortellini adds a whole new level of flavor the whole family loves.
- Warm and comforting: Rich and creamy, this soup really warms the soul and gives you that full and comforting feeling after every meal.
Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup Ingredients
Made with simple ingredients, you won’t have any trouble finding what you need to make this recipe. Get out your shopping list and jot these ingredients down:
- Olive oil: I used olive oil, but you can use canola, vegetable, coconut, or any oil you prefer to saute your onion.
- Onion: You’ll need 1 onion. I used a yellow onion as they are the best for soups.
- Sausage: I used mild Italian sausage links, but you can use ground sausage links if you prefer. Choose mild or hot depending on your heat level.
- Tortellini: I use refrigerated Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini, but you could use whatever you prefer.
- Chicken broth: If you don’t have chicken broth, you can easily use it using 6-cups of water and 6 chicken bullion cubes.
- Spinach: It’s best to use fresh spinach for this recipe. Make sure to chop it up into pieces.
- Heavy cream: To make 1 cup of heavy cream, mix 2/3 cup of whole milk with 1/3 cup melted butter.
- Shredded parmesan cheese: This makes your soup extra creamy and extra cheesy!
- Seasonings: To add a complex layer of flavor, you’ll need minced garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage and Cheese Tortellini Soup
Get ready to have dinner on the table in less than half an hour! This recipe is so easy to make, it’s sure to become one of your weekly meals!
Step 1: sauté the Onion
Set instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot add the diced onion. Cook for 5 minutes to brown the onion.
Step 2: Cook the Sausage
After you’ve browned the onion, squeeze the sausage out of the casing into small meat balls the size of marbles. Brown the meat with the onion.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Next, add the broth, tortellini, spices, garlic, and spinach to your IP. Close and seal the lid, and put the pressure valve into the sealing position. Hit your manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 6 minutes.
Step 4: Add Cream and Cheese
When the time is up, put your pressure valve into the venting position to release the pressure. Open the lid, stir in the cream and cheese, and let it cool to thicken.
Serve and Enjoy!
How Do I Thicken This Tortellini Soup?
This tortellini soup should thicken as it cools and the tortellini absorb more of the broth. If you still want it a little thicker, you can add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to the soup at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
Can I Use a Different Cheese?
We think the parmesan cheese adds the perfect flavor for this Italian soup; however, you can use any melting cheese that you prefer. Some good substitutes would be mozzarella, asiago, or cheddar cheese.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store leftover sausage and cheese tortellini soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-days. Keep in mind that the tortellini will continue to absorb the broth during storage. After 3-days, it will be too mush to eat.
You can freeze this soup, but it is best to not cook the tortellini with it if you plan to freeze it. This way, the tortellini doesn’t absorb too much broth during the freezing process. To freeze it, let the soup cool, completely, then pour it into Ziploc freezer bags.
Soup and salad go hand in hand and that’s usually what we pair with this delicious sausage and cheese tortellini soup. Here are some other side recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Garlic Monkey Bread
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Rolls
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
delicious and tasty instant pot tortellini with sausage and cheese soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 5 links of Italian sausage. Mild or hot
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 19 oz of cheese tortellini
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- Set instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot add the diced onion. Cook for 5 minutes to brown the onion.
- Squeeze the sausage out of the casing into small meat balls the size of marbles. Throw in with the onion. Brown meat off.
- Add the broth, tortellini, spices, garlic, and spinach. Close and seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 6 minutes
- Quick release pressure and remove lid. Stir in cream and cheese and let cool and thicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 845Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 2262mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more soups to enjoy during the cooler months? Here are a few of my hearty favorites:
- Instant Pot Dump and Dash Taco Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Mamas Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup