Instant Pot Chili Beans Recipe
Chili is perfect for cool autumn days, wintertime blues, and football season! No matter what time of year it is, everyone will love this Instant Pot chili beans recipe!
Why You’ll Love this Chili Beans Recipe
I love a good bowl of chili especially on a cool day! It warms up my bones and my soul. This is the best Instant Pot Chili beans recipe, and here’s why:
- More flavor. With a variety of different kinds of beans, veggies, and spices, you get a bowl packed with flavor like never before.
- You can stop before the chili part. If you aren’t a fan of chili, but want to make some beans, you can use this recipe to make your beans and skip the chili part.
- Simple ingredients. This recipe is made with simple ingredients so you won’t be searching high and low for what you need.
Instant Pot Chili Beans Ingredients
The great thing about this recipe is you won’t have to spend an eternity looking for ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Beans, beans, and more beans: You will need black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans for this delicious chili bean recipe. Make sure you get the dry beans not canned.
- Ground Beef: You can’t have chili without the beef. You’ll want 1 pound of ground beef for this recipe.
- Veggies: You’ll want more than hamburger and beans to make this dish hearty and delicious. So, you’ll need garlic, onion, jalapeños (canned), and tomatoes (canned).
- Seasonings: To give it the perfect flavor, you will want to grab some southwestern seasoning and dark cocoa powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beef Broth: You’ll need to thin it up a little and that’s where the beef broth comes into play. Additionally, it adds just the right amount of salty, beefy flavor.
Keep scrolling to the bottom for the recipe card. There you will find exact ingredients needed for this recipe!
How to Make The Best Instant Pot Chili Beans
They key to this delicious recipe is perfecting those chili beans! For this recipe, you will use dry beans not canned beans. Follow the simple steps below for a delicious chili bean dish:
Step 1: Rinse the Beans
Rinse the beans and combine in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Cover the beans with water. Then, secure the lid.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Make sure the sealing vent on the lid is in the “sealing position” Push your “beans/chili” button and set it for 25 minutes.
Step 3: Natural Release and Drain the Beans
Allow your Instant Pot to naturally release. Just let it sit there until the pin drops and the lid unlocks. Then, remove the lid, drain, and rinse the beans. Clean out your inner pot.
Step 4: Sauté the Veggies
Set instant pot to sauté and add the cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and diced jalapeños. Cook for 3 minutes.
Step 5: Add Garlic
Then, add the garlic and continue cooking for one more minute. Stir occasionally.
Step 6: Sauté Ground Beef and Add Seasoning
Add the ground beef, seasoning and cocoa powder. Stir well and cook until ground beef is well-browned.
Step 6: Add Broth, Beans and Tomatoes
Turn off the Instant Pot, and then add the cooked beans, broth and tomatoes.
Step 7: Pressure Cook Again
Secure lid and set Instant Pot to “beans/chili” setting for 20 minutes.
Step 8: Natural Release
Finally, allow the chili to naturally release, again.
Serve and Enjoy!
Do I Have to Use Different Chili Beans?
I personally like the variety of all the different beans in this recipe, but if you only have 1 kind of bean, you can use that instead. All the beans you use call for 1 cup, so just use 3 cups of the beans you prefer! Traditional chili beans are made from kidney beans.
Do I Have to Soak the Chili Beans?
The best thing about using your Instant Pot to make chili beans is that you don’t have to soak them like you do when making traditional chili. All you need to do is rinse them and pressure cook them.
Can I Just Cook the Beans?
Most beans require 25 to 30 minutes in the pressure cooker, so if you want to just make beans, you can do that with this recipe too. Simply rinse the beans, throw them in the Instant Pot, cover with water, and set the time for 30 minutes.
The Best Instant Pot Chili Beans Recipe
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (can deseed if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 Tablespoons southwestern seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 3-4 cups beef broth
- 1-32 oz can tomatoes
- Rinse the beans and combine in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Cover with water and secure the lid.
- Set to "beans/chili" setting and cook for 25 minutes.
- Do a natural release by leaving the pot alone after the time is up until the pin drops.
- Drain and rinse the beans and clean out the inner pot.
- Set instant pot to saute and add the cooking oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and diced jalapeños. Cook for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and continue cooking for one more minute. Stir occasionally.
- Add the ground beef, seasoning and cocoa powder. Stir well and cook until ground beef is well-browned.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add the cooked beans, broth and tomatoes.
- Secure lid and set Instant Pot to "beans/chili" setting for 20 minutes.
- Natural release.
- Serve and Enjoy!
If you don't have a "beans/chili" setting, use your manual or pressure cook button and set for the same time.
Other Chili Bean Recipes to Try
If you are a fan of chili, check out some of my other favorite chili recipes, below!
- Instant Pot Black Bean Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Easy Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- Instant Pot Fish Tacos
- Instant Pot Mexican Beans
- Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Gumbo
- Instant Pot Chili with Ground Beef
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!
This will be a great recipe for winter. Add some cornbread and it is a perfect meal.
Sounds so good, I love chilis too when it’s rainy days.
I love beans so this recipe is something that I do want to make at home.
It’s great that you used a mix of different beans. Looooove chili beans it’s so yummy!!!
We love a good chili and we love having it in the wintertime. Yum!
I have not tried chili beans yet but looking at your post makes me wish to taste them soon!
I’ve never made a chili dish before. This sounds easy enough to make especially because of the Instant Pot!