You’re going to love the flavor of this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Once you learn how to make homemade hummus with the help of the Instant Pot, it will be a game-changer for sure. And the best part about this Instant Pot Hummus recipe is that it’s fast, simple, and full of flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
The best part about hummus is that it makes a healthy snack that is loaded with protein. Dipping into hummus or spreading it on sandwiches is a great way to add fuel to your day.
- It’s a quick snack that is full of nutrients.
- It’s much cheaper than buying ready made hummus.
- The flavor pairs with chips, crackers, veggies, and more!
Ingredients For Instant Pot Hummus
- Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas): The base of the hummus, they provide a creamy texture and mild flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients. Learn how to cook chickpeas in the Instant Pot here!
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper: Adds a sweet, smoky flavor and vibrant color to the hummus.
- Minced Garlic: Infuses the hummus with a sharp, aromatic note that balances out the sweetness of the peppers.
- Tahini: Adds richness and depth to the hummus, creating a smoother consistency.
- Lemon Juice: Brightens up the flavors, adding a fresh, citrusy tang to the hummus.
- Ground Cumin: Gives an earthy, warm spice undertone that complements the roasted red pepper.
- Salt: Enhances all the other flavors, making them more pronounced and balanced.
- Olive Oil: Helps blend the ingredients into a smooth, velvety consistency and adds a fruity, rich flavor.
- Garnish (Chives, Paprika, Cracked Pepper): These add color, texture, and an extra layer of flavor to the finished hummus.
How to Make Sweet Pepper Hummus
The following step-by-step directions show you how easy it is to make hummus in the Instant Pot!
Step 1: Cook the Chickpeas
First, you need to cook your chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Once they are cooked you can make your hummus. To cook in the Instant Pot combine 1 cup of chickpeas with 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Then naturally release for 15 minutes before use.
Step 2: Add the Ingredients
Add your cooked chickpeas, bell pepper, tahini, lemon, cumin, salt, and garlic to your blender. Blend well.
Step 3: Blend
Add in your oil. Blend until smooth.
Enjoy with pita bread or chips, and vegetables!
What Foods Pair Well With Hummus?
This is what makes hummus so great! You can eat hummus with cut-up celery, carrots, radishes, and any other veggies.
Or you can use crackers to dip them in as well. Pita bread is a favorite also!
If you’re looking for a simple spread to add to sandwiches, hummus for the win!
- Spicy Kick: Add a dash of cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or a drizzle of hot sauce for a spicy roasted pepper hummus.
- Herb-infused Twist: Mix in fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, or basil to enhance the flavor profile and add a burst of freshness.
- Nutty Crunch: Incorporate toasted pine nuts, chopped almonds, or walnuts to introduce a delightful crunch to your hummus.
- Citrus Zest: Elevate the hummus with a zing of citrus by adding lemon or lime zest, enhancing its brightness and tanginess.
- Smoky Sensation: Introduce a smoky flavor by incorporating a pinch of smoked paprika or a touch of liquid smoke for a unique twist.
- Creamy Tahini Blend: Amp up the creaminess by adding a bit more tahini, creating a smoother and richer roasted pepper hummus.
- Mediterranean Fusion: Toss in Kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, or crumbled feta cheese for a Mediterranean-inspired variation.
How to Store Hummus
Make sure that you’re storing hummus in an airtight container and keeping it in the fridge. It does need to be kept cold for a longer lifespan. Before enjoying hummus, make sure to stir it with a spoon to mix it back up.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Red Pepper Hummus Taste Like?
Red bell pepper and hummus taste a bit peppery with a little bit of heat if you’re adding in some spice.
How Long Does Homemade Hummus Last?
Once you make the Instant Pot hummus, you need to make sure that you eat it within 3-4 days.
What Does Tahini Do for Hummus?
Tahini is a MUST for hummus! Adding tahini adds great flavor and texture to each and every bite. You can make hummus without it, but I never end up liking it quite as well.
- 15 oz can or 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
- 2 ounces roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Garnish with chives, paprika, cracked pepper
- First, you need to cook your chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Once they are cooked you can make your hummus. To cook in the Instant Pot combine 1 cup of chickpeas with 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Then naturally release for 15 minutes before use.
- Add your beans, bell pepper, tahini, lemon, cumin, salt and garlic to your blender. Blend well.
- Add in your oil. Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy with pita bread or chips, and vegetables!
You can use ready cooked chickpeas from a can if you want to skip the cooking step.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 532mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g
More Instant Pot Recipes
Are you looking for some more super simple recipes for the Instant Pot? I’ve gathered up some of the other favorites that I think you’ll love.
- Scrumptious Instant Pot Ribs On Garlic Mash
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Delicious Instant Pot Mexican Beans