Talk about a quick and flavourful dish, this one really packs a punch. Not only is this really delicious, but it also is really easy, and you put it all in the Instant pot, and you’re done.
This Instant Pot Pasta Puttanesca Recipe would be great for a quick dinner after a busy day, or when you have a busy evening, or in place of fast food. You can add more toppings, or less if you prefer, but the Pasta in the light sauce will surely become a favourite.
WHAT IS THE BEST PASTA FOR PUTTANESCA?
The best pasta to use for Pasta Puttanesca is fettuccini. I would recommend the Campofilone Italian Fettuccini Egg Pasta as it gives the dish a homemade taste you just can’t beat! However, Barilla Gluten Free Fettuccini is another option for those with gluten intolerance.
PASTA PUTTANESCA INGREDIENTS
- 1 pound of Fettuccini
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small can of Tomato Paste
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon of Capers
- 1/2 cup of minced sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned pepper
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of brown sugar
- Fresh Basil – washed and chopped – for topping
- Green Olives – sliced in half – for topping (can use black olives if preferred)
- Cherry tomatoes – washed and sliced in half – for topping
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – for topping
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT PASTA PUTTANESCA
- First, open the Fettuccini, break in half and place in the liner of the Instant Pot.Add the olive oil, and toss the Pasta in the oil to coat.
2. In a large bowl, add the crushed red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, capers, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, seasoned pepper, and brown sugar and stir all ingredients until well blended.
3. Next, pour the mixture over the pasta, and stir, covering the pasta in the sauce. Make sure all the pasta is submerged in the sauce, don’t leave any Pasta sticking up above the liquid/sauce, as it will not cook, and will become hard and dry. If the sauce does not cover all the pasta, add a little more chicken broth, and stir well. You may have to move the Pasta around in the Instant Pot to make sure it’s covered in the sauce.
4. Finally, place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set to ‘SEALING’, and press the MANUAL button, and set the time for 4 minutes.
5. Allow the Instant Pot to build and release pressure, don’t quick release. When the Instant Pot is done, it will beep and go to off. Allow the Pasta to sit in the Pot for 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes, turn the pressure valve to ‘VENTING’, making sure all the pressure has been released.
7. Open the lid to the Instant Pot, and stir the Pasta in the sauce. Pasta should be completely done and ready to eat.
When you’re ready to serve the Pasta, either plate the pasta, or serve in bowls, and top with sliced green Olives, chopped basil, and sliced cherry tomatoes. Add Parmesan cheese, and Enjoy!
INSTANT POT PASTA TIPS
If you haven’t cooked Pasta in the Instant Pot before, it’s really easy, and quick. Here are some tips to keep in mind when cooking pasta:
- You must make sure it’s completely covered in the liquid, or sauce.
- Don’t put milk or cheese in the pot with Pasta, as it will curdle while under pressure!
- Add any milk or cheese after the pasta has cooked.
- Break pasta in half so it fits in the pot.
WHY COOK PASTA IN THE INSTANT POT?
Cooking pasta on the stove is pretty quick and painless, so why should you cook it in the Instant Pot? Well, there is one huge advantage to cooking pasta in the Instant Pot.
This is that You DON’T need to drain it. When you cook pasta in your Instant Pot, you only use the minimum amount of water. So, once the pasta is cooked, all the water has been absorbed.
Thus, you don’t have to drain the pasta. Simply mix in your sauces, cheese or other ingredients without messing with boiling water.