The Best Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Ground beef in a creamy mushroom sauce served with noodles, this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is easy, creamy, and delicious! If you love mushrooms as much as I do, you’re going to love this simple recipe.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What Is Beef Stroganoff?
This Instant Pot beef stroganoff is a Russian cuisine made with sauteed pieces of meat served in a creamy stroganoff sauce.
You can make the sauce without mushrooms by using sour cream, beef broth, and cornstarch to thicken it, but the sauce is so much better with mushrooms added to it.
The savory flavors of mushrooms, onions, and beef meld together with the rich and tangy sauce making this dish irresistible.
Where Is Beef Stroganoff From?
The dish was named after Count Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov, a Russian nobleman in the mid-1800s. It is believed to have been created by French chefs for the Count’s household and popularized in Russia before making its way to western countries.
Is Beef Stroganoff Healthy?
This Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe is certainly not a low-calorie dish, but it can be made healthier with adjustments to the ingredients and cooking methods.
Using leaner cuts of beef and reducing the amount of sour cream in the sauce can reduce the fat content per serving. You can use extra lean ground beef to reduce the fat content.
If you’re looking for a low-carb option, serve the stroganoff over zucchini noodles instead of traditional egg noodles.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
The ingredients in this pressure cooker recipe are going to make your delicious rich and tangy mushroom sauce. So, get out your shopping list and jot these down!
- Lean Ground beef: (1 pound) I like to get ground chuck for this recipe. Since it contains less fat, you’ll get more meat out of a pound.
- Onion: 1/2 medium Onion. Yellow onions are best for sauces. They are meant to be cooked into stews, sauces, and soups.
- Beef broth: (1 1/2 Cups) Since this is beef stroganoff, you’ll want to use beef broth to bring out a delicious beefy flavor.
- Sliced Mushrooms: (5 Oz) The best mushrooms to get for this recipe are cremini mushrooms also known as baby bella mushrooms.
- Sour Cream : (1/4 Cup) This gives you a savory yet tangy flavor to your sauce.
- Egg Noodles: (8 Oz) I like thin noodles so I use the Kluski egg noodles, but you can use any egg noodles you prefer.
- Butter: (1 tbsp) You’ll only need 1 tablespoon, but make sure you get real butter, not margarine.
- Seasonings: Check your cupboards for minced garlic, salt, and pepper for seasoning 1-pound ground beef
- Tomato Paste (1 tbsp)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
STEP 1: Turn On The Saute Function
First, set your Instant Pot to sauté mode. Once your pot is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown your ground beef. Once browned, remove it, and set it aside.
STEP 2: Saute The Mushrooms
Next, saute your mushrooms. Add one more tablespoon of oil and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms.
Saute mushrooms for about 5-minutes or until they are softened and caramelized. Remove them, and set them aside in a small bowl.
STEP 3: Saute The Onions
If needed, add a tablespoon of oil. Add onion into the Instant Pot and sauté for about three minutes until they soften and caramelize.
STEP 4: Add Garlic To The Instant Pot
After the onion is cooked, add in your garlic and stir for another minute to release the flavors.
STEP 5: Pressure Cook Beef Stroganoff
Add your beef broth, tomato paste and ground beef to the onion and garlic.
Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
STEP 6: Quick Release Pressure
Turn the sealing valve to the venting position to manually release the pressure when your Instant Pot beeps.
STEP 7: Make The Stroganoff Sauce
In a separate small bowl mix together your cornstarch and water. Add to your Instant Pot.
Next, hit cancel, and then hit the sauté button. Simmer and bring your gravy mixture to a boil. Add your sour cream and cooked mushrooms. Mix well.
STEP 8: Cook The Egg Noodles
Add your egg noodles to the Instant Pot. Mix well so that each noodle is covered in the gravy mixture. Press cancel on your pressure cooker.
With your noodles still raw, lock the Instant Pot lid in place and allow the egg noodles to cook in the sauce for 10 minutes.
Open your Instant Pot lid, and make sure your noodles are cooked to your liking.
STEP 9: Serve And Garnish Your Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Once your noodles are cooked give the inner pot one more stir and transfer to a bowl. Top the delicious beef stroganoff with fresh parsley or fresh herbs and enjoy!
Pressure-cooking beef stroganoff has never been easier.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
So what goes with beef stroganoff?
I tend to make beef stroganoff as an all-in-one meal! Some people make their beef stroganoff with mashed potatoes or rice instead of egg noodles.
What Vegetables Go With Beef Stroganoff?
When it comes to serving vegetables with beef stroganoff, I love to serve it with a side of roasted asparagus or green beans. A simple side salad or steamed broccoli also pairs well with this dish.
Here are some other sides that would go well with it:
- Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- Tasty Broccoli Salad
- Delicious Corn Bread
- Instant Pot Corn On The Cob
- Instant Pot Baby Carrots
- Instant Pot Asparagus
Do I Have To Use Ground Beef In Beef Stroganoff?
No! I use ground beef because it makes an affordable, quick, and easy meal. However, you can use a variety of different kinds of beef or stew meat to make beef stroganoff.
Many people use the following cuts in their beef stroganoff recipe:
- Boneless rib eye
- Boneless sirloin
- Sirloin steak tips
- Beef tenderloin
- Chuck Roast Beef
If you use a different type of beef, be sure to brown the meat first, and then follow the steps above. Whatever beef you choose be sure to use tender meat and cut into thin strips or small meat cubes.
Can I Use Gluten-Free Noodles In This Beef Stroganoff Instant Pot Recipe?
Yes, you can absolutely use gluten-free noodles in Instant Pot beef stroganoff! Simply substitute your preferred gluten-free egg noodles for the regular egg noodles called for in this recipe.
Best Substitute For Sour Cream
If you’re in a pinch and don’t have sour cream, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt or even heavy cream.
Keep in mind that these substitutes may change the taste slightly, so adjust the seasoning as needed. Enjoy your delicious beef stroganoff!
Can I Use Beef Stock Instead Of Beef Broth?
Yes, you can use beef stock instead of beef broth. Keep in mind that beef stock has a richer and more intense flavor than beef broth.
Adjust the seasoning as needed to accommodate this difference. Both options work well with this beef stroganoff recipe.
What Cheese Is Good On Beef Stroganoff
Some people like to add a little bit of grated Parmesan cheese to their beef stroganoff for an extra cheesy kick. You can also try Swiss or Gruyere cheese as well.
Some like to add a little cream cheese or even blue cheese for a tangy twist. Experiment to find the perfect cheese for your taste buds!
Different Seasoning Options For Beef Stroganoff
Feel free to experiment with different seasonings for this recipe. Try adding in a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, or even some dried thyme or tarragon.
You might like to add some dijon mustard or garlic powder. Use your taste buds as your guide and have fun with them. Enjoy.
Do You Use Mushroom Soup In Beef Stroganoff?
Some people do use mushroom soup in beef stroganoff, but I personally prefer to add fresh mushrooms.
However, if you like the taste of the mushroom soup and have it on hand, feel free to add a can or two to the Instant Pot during step 7.
Why Does Beef Stroganoff Have Tomato Paste
Tomato paste adds a depth of flavor and thickness to the sauce in this beef stroganoff recipe. It also helps balance out the richness of the sour cream and adds a touch of acidity.
If you don’t have tomato paste, you can try using a small can of diced tomatoes or even a tablespoon or two of ketchup. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
How To Thicken Beef Stroganoff
If you’d like a thicker beef stroganoff, try adding more corn starch mixed with water. Alternatively, you can simmer on the sauté setting without a lid to allow some of the liquid to evaporate and thicken the sauce.
Is Beef Stroganoff Good The Next Day?
Yes, it is! I think it tastes even better the next day. This is because savory foods like beef stroganoff can meld the flavors even more overnight.
How Do I Store Leftover Beef Stroganoff?
You can store leftover beef stroganoff in your refrigerator for 3-4 days. Simply put it in a container with a lid.
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff
Additionally, you can place the beef stroganoff into the freezer in a freezer ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the noodles will soak up a lot of the sauce during storage, so they may become soggy.
How To Reheat Beef Stroganoff
To reheat the beef stroganoff, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then heat up your beef stroganoff on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through.
Adding a splash of beef broth can help to revive some of the sauce that may have been absorbed by the noodles during storage.
Can I Cook Beef Stroganoff In The Slow Cooker?
Yes, to make slow cooker beef stroganoff, simply follow the same steps as above, but cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
You may need to adjust the cooking time based on your slow cooker’s settings and preferences.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Looking for a deliciously creamy beef stroganoff recipe? This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is so simple to make right in your Instant Pot.
- 1-pound ground beef
- salt and black pepper (for seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsps. cold water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz egg noodles, raw
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Once your pot is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown your ground beef. Once browned, set aside.
- Add in one more tablespoon of oil and your butter. Once your butter is completely melted add in your mushrooms. Sauté them for about five minutes until they have softened and caramelized. Then set aside.
- If needed, add a tablespoon of oil. Add in your onions and sauté for about three minutes until they soften and caramelize. Add in your garlic and stir for another minute to release the flavors.
- Add in your beef broth and ground beef.
- Lock the lid in place enclosure pressure valve. Pressure cook on high for four minutes. Manually release when the time is done by opening the valve.
- In a separate small bowl mix together your cornstarch and water. Add to your instant pot.
- Turn your instant pot on cancel then sauté mode. Simmer and bring your gravy mixture to a boil.
- Add your sour cream and cooked mushrooms. Mix well.
- Add your egg noodles to your pot. Mix well so that each noodle is covered in the gravy mixture.
- Press cancel on your instant pot. With your noodles still raw, lock your lid in place and allow your noodles to cook in the sauce for about 10 minutes. Open your lid, and make sure your noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Once your noodles are cooked give it one more store and transfer to a bowl. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 618mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
More Instant Pot Recipes That Use Beef
Beef…it’s what’s for dinner! Here are some of our other favorite Instant Pot Beef Recipes for you to try!
- Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- The Best Salisbury Steak
- Instant Pot Roast Beef and Veggies
- Instant Pot Beef Tips
- Instant Pot Beef Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Meatballs and Gravy
- Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- Instant Pot Beef Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
- Instant Pot Beef Chili
- Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew