Ground beef in a creamy mushroom sauce served with noodles, this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is easy, creamy, and absolutely delicious! If you love mushrooms as much as I do, you’re going to love this simple recipe.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What is Beef Stroganoff?
This Instant Pot beef stroganoff is a Russian cuisine made with sauteed pieces of meat served in a creamy stroganoff sauce. You can make the sauce without mushrooms by using sour cream, beef broth, and cornstarch to thicken it, but the sauce is so much better with mushrooms added to it.
The savory flavors of mushrooms, onions, and beef meld together with the rich and tangy sauce making this dish irresistible.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Most of the ingredients in this recipe are going to make your delicious rich and tangy mushroom sauce. So, get out your shopping list and jot these down!
- Ground beef: I like to get ground chuck for this recipe. Since it contains less fat, you’ll get more meat out of a pound.
- Onion: Yellow onions are best for sauces. They are meant to be cooked into stews, sauces, and soups.
- Beef broth: Since this is beef stroganoff, you’ll want to use beef broth to bring out a delicious beefy flavor.
- Mushrooms: The best mushrooms to get for this recipe are cremini mushrooms also known as baby bella mushrooms.
- Sour Cream: This gives you a savory yet tangy flavor to your sauce.
- Egg Noodles: I like thin noodles so I use the Kluski egg noodles, but you can use any egg noodles you prefer.
- Butter: You’ll only need 1 tablespoon, but make sure you get real butter, not margarine.
- Seasonings: Check your cupboards for minced garlic, salt, and pepper for seasoning.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
I’ve found that you can make just about anything in your Instant Pot. This recipe is easy to make, and I think it’s even better when you make it in your Instant Pot. Follow the steps below!
Step 1: Brown the Meat
First, set your instant pot to sauté mode. Once your pot is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown your ground beef. Once browned, remove it, and set it aside.
Step 2: Saute the Mushrooms
Next, saute your mushrooms. Add in one more tablespoon of oil and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms. Saute them for about 5-minutes or until they are softened and caramelized. Remove them, and set them to the side.
Step 3: Saute the Onion
If needed, add a tablespoon of oil. Add in your onions and sauté for about three minutes until they soften and caramelize.
Step 4: Add Garlic
After the onion is cooked, add in your garlic and stir for another minute to release the flavors.
Step 5: Pressure Cook
Add in your beef broth, tomato paste and ground beef to the onion and garlic. Lock the lid in place, press the pressure cook or manual button, and set the time for 4 minutes.
Step 6: Manual Release
Turn the sealing valve to the venting position to manually release the pressure when your Instant Pot beeps.
Step 7: Make the Sauce
In a separate small bowl mix together your cornstarch and water. Add to your instant pot. Then, hit cancel, and then hit the sauté button. Simmer and bring your gravy mixture to a boil. Add your sour cream and cooked mushrooms. Mix well.
Step 8: Cook the Egg Noodles
Add your egg noodles to your pot. Mix well so that each noodle is covered in the gravy mixture. Press cancel on your instant pot. With your noodles still raw, lock your lid in place and allow your noodles to cook in the sauce for about 10 minutes. Open your lid, and make sure your noodles are cooked to your liking.
Step 9: Give it a Good Stir
Once your noodles are cooked give it one more stir and transfer to a bowl.
Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Do I Have to Use Ground Beef?
Nope! I use ground beef because it makes an affordable, quick, and easy meal. However, you can use a variety of different kinds of beef to make beef stroganoff. Many people use the following cuts:
- Boneless rib eye
- boneless sirloin
- sirlion steak tips
- beef tenderloin
If you use a different type of beef, be sure to brown the meat first, and then follow the steps above.
Is Beef Stroganoff Good the Next Day?
Yes, it is! In fact, I think it tastes even better the next day. This is because savory foods like beef stroganoff can meld the flavors even more while overnight.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
You can store leftover beef stroganoff in your refrigerator for 3-4 days. Simply put it in a container with a lid. Additionally, you can place it in the freezer in a freezer ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the noodles will soak up a lot of the sauce during storage, so they may become soggy.
I tend to make beef stroganoff as an all-in-one meal! Some people make their beef stroganoff with mashed potatoes or rice instead of noodles. So, you can do that if you choose. Here are some other sides that would go well with it:
- 1-pound ground beef
- salt and black pepper (for seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsps. cold water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz egg noodles, raw
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Once your pot is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown your ground beef. Once browned, set aside.
- Add in one more tablespoon of oil and your butter. Once your butter is completely melted add in your mushrooms. Sauté them for about five minutes until they have softened and caramelized. Then set aside.
- If needed, add a tablespoon of oil. Add in your onions and sauté for about three minutes until they soften and caramelize. Add in your garlic and stir for another minute to release the flavors.
- Add in your beef broth and ground beef.
- Lock the lid in place enclosure pressure valve. Pressure cook on high for four minutes. Manually release when the time is done by opening the valve.
- In a separate small bowl mix together your cornstarch and water. Add to your instant pot.
- Turn your instant pot on cancel then sauté mode. Simmer and bring your gravy mixture to a boil.
- Add your sour cream and cooked mushrooms. Mix well.
- Add your egg noodles to your pot. Mix well so that each noodle is covered in the gravy mixture.
- Press cancel on your instant pot. With your noodles still raw, lock your lid in place and allow your noodles to cook in the sauce for about 10 minutes. Open your lid, and make sure your noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Once your noodles are cooked give it one more store and transfer to a bowl. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 618mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
Other Beef Recipes to Try
Beef…it’s what’s for dinner! Here are some of our other favorite Instant Pot beef recipes for you to try!
- Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- The Best Salsibury Steak
- Instant Pot Roast Beef and Veggies
- Instant Pot Meatballs and Gravy
10 Delicious Summer INSTANT POT DRINKS Are Quick and Easy To Make
I hope you enjoyed this list of 10 drool-worthy Instant Pot drinks! These are delicious, refreshing, and surprisingly quick to whip up on a summer afternoon for any occasion. What’s your favorite on so far? Let us know in the comments below!
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!