I don’t know about you, but when the pandemic hit, I stocked up on anything and everything that could be used long-term. That means I have a lot of dry beans! You can only eat so many beans, but you can use these Instant Pot Refried Beans in a variety of different recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
The great thing about refried beans is that you can use them for so many different things, and it doesn’t feel like you’re just eating pinto beans.
- Super easy to make. Refried beans are so easy to make in your Instant Pot. You’ll wonder why you’ve ever bought them in a can.
- Adds variety to your meals. You can make tacos, tostadas, chip dip, Nachos, Enchiladas, burritos, hot dog toppings, and more with refried beans.
- Delicious. Making your own refried beans means they aren’t bland like the canned stuff. With delicious seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and more, these refried beans taste delicious.
- Homemade Refried Beans are budget friendly and you get much more for your money than buying canned beans.
Refried Beans Ingredients
You won’t need much for this recipe! In fact, you probably already have everything you need. Take a look…
- Pinto beans: You probably have a bag of dry pinto beans lying around. You’ll need 1 pound for this recipe.
- Butter: Butter makes them creamy and delicious.
- Seasonings: You don’t want bland refried beans, so you’ll need a bit of everything. Make sure you have salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and ground cumin.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Refried Beans
Get out that Instant Pot because you are about to make the easiest refried beans ever!
Step 1: Rinse PINTO Beans and Begin
First, make sure you rinse your beans. Then, place the dry rinsed beans into your Instant Pot with 5 cups of water.
Step 2: Pressure Cook FOR 30 MINUTES
Seal the lid and pressure valve. Press the manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Manually Release YOUR PRESSURE COOKER
Flip the pressure valve to the venting position, and manually release the pressure when the time is up.
Step 4: Drain and Save
Drain beans while keeping 2 cups of liquid and set aside.
Step 5: blEND YOUR PINTO BEANS
Finally, place the beans in a food processor with butter and spices. Blend until beans are smooth and creamy. Add your leftover liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency.
Serve or store!
What are the Best Beans to Use?
Pinto beans are the best beans to use for refried beans. This is because they are so buttery. If you don’t have pinto beans, navy beans or great northern beans are a good substitute. Keep in mind that using different beans can result in changing the time on your Instant Pot. Take a look at my Instant Pot Dried Beans Cooking Times if you are using different beans.
How Do You Store Leftover Refried Beans?
Refried beans can be stored in an airtight container that is either plastic or glass in the refrigerator. Leftovers can last up to 5 days in the fridge.
If you want to use your beans for different recipes, you can freeze them almost indefinitely. Place them in a freezer bag and store them flat in your freezer. We recommend eating them in about 12 months.
Recipes for Refried Beans
Not sure how to use your delicious refried beans? Here are some delicious recipes you can use your beans with!
- Refried Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
- Fast Refried Bean Soup
- Refried Bean Tacos
- Easy Refried Bean & Cheese Burrito
- Refried Bean Dip
- 1 lb. of pinto beans dried
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- Place dry rinsed beans into the Instant Pot and add 5 cups of water
- Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Manually release pressure when finished.
- Drain beans while keeping 2 cups of liquid and set aside.
- Place the beans in a food processor with butter and spices. Blend until beans are smooth and creamy.
- Add leftover liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency.
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Try
Looking for more? Try some of these other easy Instant Pot recipes!
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Instant Pot Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Jalapeno Corn Dip
- Instant Pot Cowboy Beans