I don’t know about you, but when the pandemic hit, I stocked up on anything and everything that could be used long-term. And that means I have a lot of dry beans! You can only eat so many beans, but I got creative and learned all about how you can use these Instant Pot Refried Beans in a variety of different recipes!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why You’ll Love refried beans in instant pot recipe
The great thing about Instant Pot refried beans is that you can use them for so many different things, and it doesn’t feel like you’re just eating pinto beans. For many of us, refried beans are a staple food that we simply can’t do without. Not only are they delicious and versatile, but they are also packed with essential nutrients that keep us healthy and energized.
Plus, cooking them in the Instant Pot makes it easy to whip up huge batches of refried beans whenever we need them. Whether using them as a side dish or a filling for tacos or burritos, you can rest assured knowing that you’re always making the best possible choice for yourself and your family.
Plus, Instant Pot refried beans are:
- Super easy to make. Refried beans are so easy to make in your Instant Pot. You’ll wonder why you’ve ever bought them in a can.
- Adds variety to your meals. You can make tacos, tostadas, chip dip, Nachos, Enchiladas, burritos, hot dog toppings, and more with refried beans.
- Delicious. Making your own refried beans means they aren’t bland like the canned stuff. With delicious seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and more, these refried beans taste delicious.
- Homemade Refried Beans are budget friendly and you get much more for your money than buying canned beans.
Refried Beans Ingredients
You won’t need much for this recipe! In fact, you probably already have everything you need. Take a look…
- Pinto beans: You probably have a bag of dry pinto beans lying around. You’ll need 1 pound for this recipe.
- Butter: Butter makes them creamy and delicious.
- Seasonings: You don’t want bland refried beans, so you’ll need a bit of everything. Make sure you have salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and ground cumin.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make refried beans in instant pot
Get out that Instant Pot because you are about to make the easiest Instant Pot refried beans recipe ever!
Step 1: Rinse PINTO Beans and Begin
First, make sure you rinse your beans. Then, place the dry rinsed beans into your Instant Pot with 5 cups of water.
Step 2: Pressure Cook FOR 30 MINUTES
Seal the lid and pressure valve. Press the manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Manually Release YOUR PRESSURE COOKER
Flip the pressure valve to the venting position, and manually release the pressure when the time is up.
Step 4: Drain and Save
Drain beans while keeping 2 cups of liquid and set aside.
Step 5: blEND YOUR PINTO BEANS
Finally, place the beans in a food processor with butter and spices. Blend until beans are smooth and creamy. Add your leftover liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency.
Serve or store!
What are the Best Beans to Use?
Pinto beans are the best beans to use for refried beans. This is because they are so buttery. If you don’t have pinto beans, navy beans or great northern beans are a good substitute. Keep in mind that using different beans can result in changing the time on your Instant Pot. Take a look at my Instant Pot Dried Beans Cooking Times if you are using different beans.
How Do You Store Leftover Refried Beans?
Refried beans can be stored in an airtight container that is either plastic or glass in the refrigerator. Leftovers can last up to 5 days in the fridge.
If you want to use your beans for different recipes, you can freeze them almost indefinitely. Place them in a freezer bag and store them flat in your freezer. We recommend eating them in about 12 months.
How To Cook The Best Instant Pot Refried Beans In 5 Easy Steps
The process of making refried beans in the Instant Pot is simple and only takes a few minutes. All you have to do is follow these five easy steps, and you’ll be on your way to enjoying this delicious side dish. So, what are you waiting for? Get started cooking some amazing refried beans today! Comment below and let us know how they turned out for you.
more Recipes for Refried Beans
Not sure how to use your delicious refried beans? Here are some delicious recipes you can use your beans with!
- Refried Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
- Fast Refried Bean Soup
- Refried Bean Tacos
- Easy Refried Bean & Cheese Burrito
- Refried Bean Dip
- 1 lb. of pinto beans dried
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- Place dry rinsed beans into the Instant Pot and add 5 cups of water
- Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Manually release pressure when finished.
- Drain beans while keeping 2 cups of liquid and set aside.
- Place the beans in a food processor with butter and spices. Blend until beans are smooth and creamy.
- Add leftover liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency.
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Try
Looking for more? Try some of these other easy Instant Pot recipes!
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Instant Pot Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Jalapeno Corn Dip
- Instant Pot Cowboy Beans
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!