This Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday table. Made with sweet potatoes, chopped pecans, marshmallows, and other easy ingredients, you’re going to love the flavor of this simple casserole.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
WHY WE LOVE SWEET POTATO PIE TOPPED WITH MARSHMALLOWS
I love the texture and taste of this comfort food dish. Not only is it simple and easy to make, but every bite is sweet and delicious. It’s a must at our holiday table, and I think you’re going to love it, too.
- It’s a fool proof. Seriously – this dish is so easy to make and can’t be messed up. It always tastes good!
- The leftovers are awesome. Do you know how some foods taste good the next day, even as leftovers? This is one of those dishes!
- This recipe feeds a crowd. You can make for yourself and eat for several days or rest easy knowing that you’ll feed all the mouths at your house. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
OLD FASHIONED SWEET POTATO PIE INGREDIENTS
To make this southern sweet potato pie, you just need a few easy ingredients. You may already have most of them at home in your cabinet!
- Sweet potatoes – This will be about 2-3 large potatoes.
- Brown sugar packed – You can use light brown sugar as well.
- Salted butter – Unsalted butter will work but you may need to add a bit more salt.
- Vanilla extract – I love using pure vanilla extract.
- Pumpkin pie spice – This adds the perfect flavor!
- Salt – Just a pinch!
- Pecans or walnuts chopped (optional)
- Mini marshmallows – You can cut up regular marshmallows as well.
HOW TO MAKE OLD FASHIONED SWEET POTATO PIE
Making your very own recipe for sweet potato pie isn’t hard to do at all. The following steps will give you all the information you need.
STEP 1: ADD THE POTATOES
Add your potatoes to a steamer insert in your instant pot on top of your trivet.
STEP 2: ADD WATER
Add one cup of water to the liner of your instant pot underneath your potatoes.
STEP 3: CLOSE THE LID
Close the lid on your instant pot and close the sealing valve by it pushing away from you.
STEP 4: SET THE TEMPERATURE AND TIME
Set your instant pot to high pressure for 3 minutes.
STEP 5: PREHEAT THE OVEN
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
STEP 6: QUICK RELEASE
Once your instant pot has come to pressure and stopped cooking, do a quick release by opening the sealing valve.
STEP 7: TAKE OUT THE POTATOES
Remove your potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Mash.
STEP 8: MIX THE INGREDIENTS
Add to your bowl your brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add nuts if desired. Mix well.
STEP 9: PUT THE POTATOES INTO A DISH
Transfer your potatoes to an oven safe dish.
STEP 10: ADD MARSHMALLOWS
Top your potatoes with marshmallows.
STEP 11: BAKE
Bake for 15 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted to your liking!
Serve and enjoy!
Why is sweet potato pie soupy?
It shouldn’t be soup after you bake it. If it is, you can bake it for a little bit longer and see if that helps.
Does sweet potato pie need to be refrigerated?
Since this recipe doesn’t have any egg or milk in it, it’s not required to be stored in the fridge. However, it will help it have a longer shelf life if you store it in a cool place.
How to store this old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe
The best way to store leftover sweet potato pie is to put a lid on it and keep it in the fridge. Eat the leftovers within 2-3 days.
This sweet potato pie recipe is a delicious option for lunch, dinner, or leftovers.
- 2 ½ lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes - about 2-3 large sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch salt
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts chopped (optional)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Add your potatoes to a steamer insert in your instant pot on top of your trivet.
- Add one cup of water to the liner of your instant pot underneath your potatoes.
- Close the lid on your instant pot and close the sealing valve by it pushing away from you.
- Set your instant pot to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Once your instant pot has come to pressure and stop cooking, do a quick release by opening the sealing valve.
- Remove your potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Mash.
- Add to your bowl your brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add nuts if desired. Mix well.
- Transfer your potatoes to an oven safe dish.
- Top your potatoes with marshmallows.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the Marshmallows are toasted to your liking!
- Serve and enjoy!
other potato recipes
In the mood for recipes containing potatoes? Check out some of my options below!
- The Best Loaded Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Secret Ingredient Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup‘
- The Best Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!