Instant Pot almond milk yogurt is an excellent option for people who are lactose intolerant or looking to reduce their dairy intake. It’s super easy to make and involves only a few ingredients. With an Instant Pot, the process is even simpler and quicker, allowing you to enjoy your homemade yogurt in no time!
Besides that, Almonds are a great source of plant-based protein and healthy fats, and when combined with the probiotics found in yogurt cultures, the health benefits are even greater.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of making Instant Pot almond milk yogurt and share tips and tricks to ensure it turns out perfectly every time. Get ready to indulge in a creamy and healthy yogurt that you can feel good about eating.
Why Make Instant Pot Yogurt?
You may be wondering if it’s even worth it to make yogurt in your Instant Pot, right?! I mean there’s plenty of dairy free options on the shelf, so why make it! The simple answer is it’s so much better!
I literally can’t believe it took me this long to make homemade yogurt, and with the Instant Pot, it’s a breeze. If you aren’t sure why you should make homemade yogurt, here’s why:
- It’s cheaper. Making homemade yogurt is much cheaper than buying enough for everyone in my household. You can buy ingredients and make a huge batch that costs way less than those individual containers.
- Homemade yogurt is healthier. The nutrition of yogurt decreases with sugar and other additives. Making it homemade eliminates fillers and sugar to give you the most health benefits form your snack.
- It’s more delicious. In my opinion, homemade yogurt is much more delicious than any yogurt I have ever bought at the store.
Almond Milk Yogurt Ingredients
You only need 4-ingredients for this almond milk yogurt recipe! Like I said above, you save so much money making it homemade. Here’s what you need:
- Almond Milk: Serves as the base of the yogurt. Homemade almond milk tends to yield a thicker yogurt.
- Plain Almond Yogurt: Acts as a starter, introducing live active cultures that ferment the almond milk into yogurt.
- Gelatin and Arrowroot flour: Act as thickeners, giving the almond milk yogurt its characteristic creamy consistency.
How to Make Instant Pot Almond Milk Yogurt
This homemade Almond Milk Yogurt gives you the freedom to add even more nutritious ingredients like real fruit, honey and granola. And, it’s way easier to make than I even expected. Get ready to be impressed!
Step 1: Clean and Sterilize
STOP! Before you do anything else, clean and sterilize your Instant Pot especially the sealing ring. If you don’t, you will risk bad bacteria.
Step 2: Boil the Milk
Add the milk to your Instant Pot, close the lid, and hit the “yogurt” button until it displays boil. Allow it to boil for 45-minutes. When it’s done, it should be at 180℉. If it’s not, hit “Sauté” and stir it until it reaches that temperature.
We use the Instant Pot Duo as it has a Yogurt button function!
Step 3: Add Thickeners
Hit “cancel” and then add your gelatin and arrowroot into the almond milk. Stir and mix well.
Step 4: Cool the Milk Mixture
Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot and let it cool. To speed up this process, place the pot in cold water or an ice water bath. I placed it in the sink with cold water. Let it cool until it reaches 115℉.
Step 5: Skim the Skin
Next, skim the skin off of the milk and discard it. Then, put 3 tablespoons of already made yogurt into a bowl. Stir the yogurt well and add it to your milk mixture. Mix well.
Step 6: Pressure Cook
Finally, place your inner pot back into the Instant Pot. Close the lid and put your pressure valve in the sealing position. Hit your “yogurt” button and set the time for 12-hours.
Pro Tip: When the Instant Pot does the yogurt function, it will NOT count down like pressure cooking. Instead, it will count up to 12-hours. If you like the yogurt thicker, up the time to 16-hours.
Step 7: Cool the Yogurt
After the time has completed, release the pressure and transfer your inner pot to the refrigerator to cool. It needs to cool for at least 6-8 hours.
Step 8: Top as Desired
Serve and Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot Yogurt
- Use the glass lid. I recommend using your glass Instant Pot lid whenever you are not using the pressure cooker function because it’s easier to take it on and off when stirring.
- Save 3 tablespoons of yogurt. Once your yogurt is complete, pull out 3 tablespoons to save for your next batch of yogurt. Using this will make your next batch extra creamy and less tangy.
- Don’t disturb the yogurt. It’s tempting to check on your yogurt while its in your Instant Pot for 12-hours, but DON’T! You don’t want to add outside bacteria.
- Don’t add flavors until the end. Do not add vanilla, fruits, honey, maple syrup, or anything until the yogurt is done cooking.
Best Yogurt Toppings
Not sure what to add to your plain almond milk yogurt? Here are some of our favorite topping suggestions:
How to Store Almond Milk Yogurt?
I like to store my yogurt in these Yogurt Parfait Cups with Lids because it makes for a quick and easy breakfast solution. You can store homemade yogurt in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5-days.
Special Tips and Tricks for Making Almond Milk Yogurt in an Instant Pot
Soak the Almonds
The first step in making almond milk yogurt in an Instant Pot is to soak the almonds overnight. This will help to soften them, making them easier to blend into a smooth, creamy texture.
Also, soaking the almonds will help release some of their natural sweetness, adding flavor to your yogurt.
Use an Immersion Blender
Once the almonds have been soaked and drained, they should be blended until they form a thick paste.
An immersion blender is the best tool for this job as it can quickly and easily blend the almonds into a smooth consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular or food processor.
Once you have blended the almonds into a paste, it’s time to add cultures to the mixture. Adding cultures helps produce a thicker and tangier yogurt with more probiotic benefits than non-cultured varieties.
You can purchase cultures from health food stores or online retailers; however, you can also make your own cultures using plain yogurt that contains live, active cultures.
After adding cultures, it’s time to incubate your almond milk yogurt in an Instant Pot! Place your yogurt mixture into the pot and close the lid securely.
Set your Instant Pot on the “Yogurt” setting and adjust the timer according to your desired thickness of yogurt (thicker yogurts require longer incubation times). Once finished, remove from the pot and enjoy!
Enjoy Almond Milk Yogurt Made in Your Pressure Cooker
Whether you make your almond milk at home or purchase it from the store, making Instant Pot almond milk yogurt is a great way to incorporate this healthy and creamy dairy alternative into your diet.
Not only can it be prepared in the comfort of your kitchen, but it’s also relatively easy to customize to your tastes.
Plus, thanks to its cult popularity, you should never run out of ideas for trying something new. Give almond milk yogurt a chance – you won’t regret it!
Let us know what delicious flavors you use in the comments section. And let those creative juices start flowing! We’d love to hear from you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Almond Milk Yogurt Vegan?
Whilst the almond milk is plant based and vegan, this recipe uses gelatin so it’s not a vegan yogurt. Homemade almond yogurt is a great substitute for dairy yogurt for those who are lactose intolerant.
Why Is My Yogurt Pink? Can I Eat It?
No, you can not eat pink yogurt! When yogurt turns pink, looks red and splotchy, or turns any sort of pinkish color, it means bad bacteria got inside the Instant Pot while it was cooking. Any sort of pink means the yogurt should be thrown away immediately!
What Type of Instant Pot Do I Need to Make Delicious Almond Milk Yogurt?
The simplest way to make Instant Pot Almond Milk Yogurt is with an Instant Pot with a yogurt-making function. This type of Instant Pot is more expensive, but it takes the guesswork out of making your yogurt.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot with a yogurt-making function, you can still make almond milk yogurt in your regular instant pot, but you’ll need to purchase a particular yogurt-making container as well.
You’ll also need an Instant Pot that has enough capacity to fit the ingredients for your almond milk yogurt.
If all you have is a 3-quart Instant Pot, it may be too small for even a single batch of yogurt. However, if you opt for an 8-quart Instant Pot, you’ll have plenty of space for even a large batch of yogurt.
What Is the Best Way to Thicken Almond Milk Yogurt in an Instant Pot?
Use Greek yogurt as a thickener – Adding a few tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt to your Instant Pot almond milk yogurt makes it easy to thicken it up. The active cultures in the Greek yogurt will also help enhance the flavor and texture of your almond milk yogurt.
Add some chia seeds – Chia seeds are another great way to thicken your yogurt. Add a tablespoon or two of chia seeds directly to the Instant Pot, which will help create a creamy texture.
Use tapioca – Tapioca can also be used as an alternative thickening agent for almond milk yogurt. Add a few tablespoons of tapioca starch to the Instant Pot and let it simmer for a few minutes. This will create a thick and creamy texture.
Use gelatin – Gelatin is a great way to thicken up almond milk yogurt quickly and easily. Mix one tablespoon of gelatin with two tablespoons of cold water, then stir the mixture into your Instant Pot almond milk yogurt before cooking. The gelatin will help create a thicker, creamier yogurt.
Use cornstarch – Cornstarch is another great thickening agent for Instant Pot almond milk yogurt. Mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch with some cold water until it forms a paste, then stir the mixture into your almond milk yogurt before cooking to help thicken it up.
How Long Should I Pressure-Cook Almond Milk Yogurt in an Instant Pot?
The ideal pressure cooking time for almond milk yogurt in an Instant Pot will depend on the type of yogurt you make.
If you’re using Greek yogurt or another thickener, such as chia seeds or tapioca, the pressure cooking time should be about 5 minutes.
If you’re making plain almond milk yogurt without a thickener, the pressure cooking time should be about 10 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes before opening the Instant Pot lid. This will help ensure that your yogurt is perfectly cooked and creamy.
Can I Make Instant Pot Yogurt With Other Plant Based Milks?
Yes, you can! Many plant based milks such as almond, soy, coconut and even cashew milk work well for Instant Pot yogurt. Be sure to use a high-quality, unsweetened variety of plant milk when making your yogurt.
Also make sure that the cultures you are using are appropriate for the type of milk you’re using. We love soy yogurt. It’s a great diary free yogurt option and making yogurt is always so fun!
- ½ gallon almond milk
- 3 TBSP plain almond yogurt with live active cultures
- 2 TBSP Gelatin
- 4 TBSP Arrowroot Flour
- Clean and sterilize all of your equipment, especially the ring in your IP. You could risk getting mold if it is not completely sterilized.
- Add milk to your Instant Pot. Close the lid on your Instant Pot.
- Press Yogurt mode and continue to press until it displays “BOIL”. This will take about 45 minutes. It should be at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. If it does not, press “Sauté” on your Instant Pot while stirring until it reaches 180 degrees. Add in your gelatin and arrowroot. Mix well.
- Remove the inner pot once you have reached the degree and let it cool. You can speed up the cooling process by placing the pot in cold water, or ice water (I place it in the sink with cold water). Allow it to cool until 115 degrees.
- Skim the skin off of your milk, and discard. In a small bowl, add a few spoonfuls to your already made 3 TBSP yogurt. Mix well, then add to your inner pot. Mix well.
- Bring your inner pot back to the Instant Pot. Press “Yogurt” function, and up the time to 12 hours (when the Instant Pot has started yogurt function, it will not count down like pressure cooking. It will count up to 12 hours.). If you like your yogurt thicker, you can up the time to 16 hours.
- After the time has completed, transfer the inner pot to your refrigerator to cool for at least 6-8 hours.
- Top with honey, fruits, granola, and more!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 3gSugar: 31gProtein: 10g
More Fantastic Instant Pot Recipes:
If you love this homemade almond milk yogurt you might want to check out the following Instant Pot Recipes: