Do you love Indian cooking? Are you looking for a delicious, flavourful dinner that comes together quickly and easily? Introducing this Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe!
This favorite butter chicken recipe is an easy option that requires minimal effort while providing maximum flavour. It’s a creamy, savory dish your whole family will love – and with the help of the Instant Pot, it can be on the table in no time!
Read on to find out how to make this classic Indian dish using the pressure cooker. It’s one of the best butter chicken recipes around!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Rich and Creamy: This best butter chicken recipe offers a perfect blend of spices, butter, and cream.
- Time-Saver: The Instant Pot reduces cooking time without compromising the depth of flavors.
- Restaurant Quality: Enjoy authentic, restaurant-style butter chicken right in your own kitchen.
- Tomato Sauce: Provides a rich and flavorful base for the butter chicken, adding a tangy and savory element to the dish.
- Garlic: Infuses the butter chicken with a deliciously aromatic flavor, enhancing the overall taste profile and adding depth to the sauce.
- Curry Powder: Adds a warm and fragrant blend of spices, bringing an authentic Indian taste to the butter chicken.
- Garam Masala: Aromatic spice blend that contributes complex flavors and enhances the overall depth and richness of the dish.
- Paprika: Adds a subtle smoky and slightly sweet flavor to the butter chicken, balancing out the spices and adding a beautiful color.
- Onion Powder: Enhances the savory notes of the dish, adding a hint of sweetness and depth to the butter chicken.
- Sugar: Balances out the acidity from the tomato sauce, adding a touch of sweetness to round out the flavors.
- Salt: Elevates the taste of each ingredient, bringing out their natural flavors and ensuring a well-seasoned and delicious butter chicken.
- Unsalted Butter: Provides a creamy and rich texture to the sauce, adding a luxurious and indulgent element to the butter chicken.
- Skinless Chicken Thighs: Offers tender and juicy meat that absorbs the flavors of the sauce, resulting in a succulent and flavorful butter chicken.
- Heavy Cream: Adds a luscious and velvety texture to the sauce, creating a creamy and smooth consistency that perfectly complements the spices and flavors of the dish.
How to Make Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making restaurant-quality butter chicken in your Instant Pot.
Step One: Add Spices to the Instant Pot
Add the tomato sauce, minced garlic, curry powder, Garam Masala, paprika, onion powder, sugar and salt to the Instant Pot and stir together.
Step Two: Add Diced Chicken
Add the diced chicken thighs and butter on top.
Step Three: Pressure Cook Butter Chicken
Cover your Instant Pot and seal. Select the pressure cook button and set pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Step Four: Natural Release for 5 Minutes
When done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then quickly pressure release the remaining pressure.
Step Five: Turn On Saute Function
Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté mode mix in the heavy cream and simmer till the butter sauce thickens to your taste.
Step Six: Serve And Garnish
Switch off the heat and prepare to serve.
Serve this Instant Pot butter chicken recipe with rice and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and a dollop of butter. Enjoy!
- If using Frozen chicken add an extra 4 minutes of pressure cooking time to the Instant Pot.
- If cooking Instant Pot rice with this dish, cook the rice before hand and transfer into a container before making your butter chicken. We like to eat our butter chicken with brown rice for a crunchier texture.
- Chicken Breast: We use boneless chicken thighs in this recipe but you can easily substitute this with boneless skinless chicken breast. Chicken breasts are a great cut to use in butter chicken.
- Coconut Milk Instead of Coconut Cream: If you’d like to make a little healthier version of butter chicken, try substituting the coconut cream with full fat coconut milk. Full fat milk will stop the dish from getting too thin.
- Diced Tomatoes Vs Puree: You can use either diced tomatoes or tomato puree in your Instant Pot butter chicken recipe. Diced tomatoes will give the dish a chunkier texture, while pureed tomatoes will make it smoother and creamier.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Storage: If you have leftover sauce, it’s best to store it in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to three days. The sauce will thicken as it cools, so be sure to add a bit of water or broth when reheating if necessary.
Freezing: You can also freeze butter chicken for up to three months. When ready to eat, just thaw and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Let the Instant Pot butter chicken cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Be sure to check out our article on how to freeze Naan bread too!
Reheating: When you’re ready to eat, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in a saucepan for 2-5 minutes. Enjoy!
What to Serve With Butter Chicken?
- Butter chicken pairs perfectly with Indian-style rice dishes such as cumin rice and jeera rice.
- You can also serve it over naan, roti, or chapati.
- For a lighter option, try pairing your Instant Pot Butter Chicken with a broccoli salad.
- If serving a number of dishes, you might want to pair this butter chicken with Instant Pot Chow Mein or Instant Pot Ramen Noodles.
What Is Butter Chicken?
Butter chicken, or murgh makhani, is one of the most popular dishes in Indian cuisine. It’s a creamy curry dish made with chicken and lots of heavy cream (hence the name!).
Authentic Indian butter chicken sauce is usually made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, spices (such as garam masala), and cream.
What Does Butter Chicken Taste Like?
This butter chicken recipe has a creamy, savory flavor thanks to the combination of spices and tomatoes in the sauce. The dish has a slight sweetness that comes from the brown sugar.
Why Is My Pressure Cooked Chicken Rubbery?
If your pressure cooked chicken is rubbery, it could be because you overcooked the chicken. It can also happen if the chicken isn’t cooked evenly or if you used too much water in the cooking process.
To prevent pressure cooking chicken for too long, follow the recipe instructions closely. If you find that the chicken is still rubbery, try adding a few tablespoons of cream or butter to the pot and cooking for an additional minute. This should help make it more tender.
- 16 Ounces Tomato Sauce
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- A Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 2 lb Diced Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- Add the tomato sauce, minced garlic, curry powder, Garam Masala, paprika, onion powder, sugar and salt to the Instant Pot and stir together.
- Add the diced chicken thighs and butter on top.
- Cover your Instant Pot and seal. Select the pressure cook button and set pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes then quickly pressure release the remaining pressure.
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté mode mix in the heavy cream and simmer till the
- Switch off the heat and prepare to serve.
- Serve this Instant Pot butter chicken recipe with rice and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and a dollop of butter. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 39g
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you love this Instant Pot recipe then try making more Chinese, Mexican and Indian food in your pressure cooker.