This is a really delicious and mouth-watering ‘Instant Pot Black Bean Chili‘ recipe. This recipe has lots of protein and thus, it makes for a truly fulfilling meal for the whole family. What makes this Instant Pot black bean chicken chili so great, is because this meal has some shredded chicken, which makes the whole recipe more satisfying.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Nutrient-Rich: Black beans are a great source of fiber and protein, promoting good health.
- Flavor Explosion: This chili recipe combines spices for a mouthwatering and hearty meal.
- Efficient Cooking: The Instant Pot significantly reduces the usual cooking time for black beans.
Instant Pot Black Bean Chili
Here are some other Instant Pot Black Bean Chili Recipe ideas.
- Sweet potato black bean chili
- Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Ingredients Required for Black Bean Chili Recipe
- Rotisserie Chicken: Adds a savory protein base that’s already cooked, simplifying the recipe and adding depth of flavor.
- Coconut Oil: Used for sautéing vegetables, it imparts a subtle sweetness and tropical hint.
- Yellow Onion: Provides a sweet and tangy flavor that complements the hearty ingredients.
- Bell Peppers: Adds crunch, color, and a mild sweet flavor to the chili.
- Chicken Stock: Acts as a flavorful liquid base, enhancing the overall taste of the chili.
- Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce & Diced Tomatoes with Green Chillies: Add acidity, sweetness, and a rich body to the chili, while the green chillies provide a spicy kick.
- Black Beans: Staple in chili, providing a creamy texture and high protein content.
- Sweet Whole Kernel Corn: Adds a touch of sweetness and a contrasting texture.
- Taco Seasonings: Infuses the chili with warm, smoky, and spicy flavors typical in Mexican cuisine.
- Pepper & Salt: Enhance all the other flavors in the dish.
How To Make Black Bean Chili In The Instant Pot?
Steps 1-3: Set Instant Pot to sauté function. Add coconut oil. Once it melts and begins to sizzle, add onions and peppers and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are translucent and peppers begin to slightly soften, stirring occasionally.
Step 4: Add in the chicken, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
Step 5: Add in the chicken stock and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
Step 6: Add in the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans. Stir to combine.
Steps 7-8: Set Instant Pot to manual for 5 minutes. Make sure venting is turned off and close lid. Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Release remainder of pressure by venting Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
Garnish with your favorite toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Serves upto 6 to 8 depending on portion size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Substitute For Kidney Beans In This Recipe?
Can I substitute black beans for kidney beans in this recipe? The short answer is yes, however, the reason for this recipe is to call it Black Bean Chili. Kidney beans have more fibre and than black beans.
The reason Why Black Bean are better than Kidney Beans
5.48% more potassium per 100g
1.7x more thiamin per 100g
22.14% more magnesium per 100g
3.92% more carbohydrates per 100g
30.82% more zinc per 100g
12.69% more folate per 100g
3.82% more manganese per 100g
2.3% more food energy (kJ) per 100g
How to Make This Black Bean Chili in the Instant Pot
This Instant Pot Black Bean Chili Recipe is very simple and straightforward to make. Sauté the chicken and then add the coconut oil. Add the onions and Sauté until translucent, stirring your ingredients are you progress through the recipe.
Once you have browned your onions and chicken. Turn off Sauté and then add the seasoning and tomato puree. Then add the chicken broth and then add the rest of your ingredients.
Set Instant Pot to manual for 5 minutes. Turn off ‘Keep Warm‘ and then leave the Instant pot. Natura
L Pressure (NPR) release for 10 minutes and Quick Release (QPR) the rest of the pressure for 5 minutes.
- 4 cups cooked Rotisserie chicken, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow, red, and orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 10 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1–15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
- 1-15 ounce can of sweet whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons taco seasonings
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Steps 1-3: Set Instant Pot to sauté function. Add coconut oil. Once it melts and begins to sizzle, add onions and peppers and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are translucent and peppers begin to slightly soften, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4: Add in the chicken, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Step 5: Add in the chicken stock and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Step 6: Add in the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans. Stir to combine.
- Steps 7-8: Set Instant Pot to manual for 5 minutes. Make sure venting is turned off and close lid. Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Release remainder of pressure by venting Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1228Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1692mgCarbohydrates: 164gFiber: 52gSugar: 14gProtein: 99g
Did you enjoy this fun Instant Pot Recipe? You may also love the following posts: