This is one simple and easy recipe and can be done for all of the family. Instant Pot Sesame Rice Recipe is so simple it can be prepared and cook in less than 10 minutes to completely cook. This recipe is a great way to season your rice with great flavours.
WHY USE LONG GRAIN RICE?
You can use any rice to suit your cooking needs. Basmati and long grain rices taste the same. Scroll down and use the accordion below to view more.
Long Grain RIce Sesame Oil Substitues
Long grain rice is one of the commonly used grains for any rice dish. People ask of long grain rice and basmati rice at the same. The short answer is no they are not. But they have the same flavour and cooking time, which make them ample substitutes.
Long grain and basmati both cook in the Instant Pot for 4 to 5 minutes with either a 1 to 1 ratio or the 2:1 ratio we use. The choice is always a personal one. If you use the 1 to 1, ratio never cooks the rice above 4 minutes and use QPR (Quick Pressure Release).
Sesame oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. In addition to being used as a cooking oil, sesame oil is used as a flavor enhancer. The oil is one of the earliest-known crop-based oils.
SESAME OIL SUBSTITUTE
If Sesame oil is not an option, then here are some alternatives.
- Perilla oil
- Walnut oil
- Olive Oil
- Canola oil
- DIY sesame seed oil
- Avocado oil
- Roasted sesame seeds
A few of the sesame oil substitutes vary depending on the type of taste you are after. One of the best substitutes for sesame oil would have to be perilla oil. Perilla oil is an oil used commonly in Korean and Chinese dishes and it has a similar flavour, taste and smell to sesame oil.
Alternate Sesame and Chicken Options
Add some Chicken Pieces
If you wish to make this recipe more wholesome or add some more protein. You could add some chicken pieces. To do this, you slice up some chicken breast and saute them until they are fully cooked for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and store it on a plate and begin the rice cooking process. Once the rice is done, re-add the chicken and serve it up on a plate or dish. Add garnish to suit your preference.
Honey Chicken and Sesame Rice
Just like the Chicken option, this time were are making the chicken honey flavoured. For this, we will use a recipe from here! You will have to follow the recipe exactly what it directs. Otherwise, the chicken could turn out gooier or not as expected. So please follow the recipe as directed.
Making This Meal More Wholesome
So I have given you two chicken options. You could use beef or pork and Saute them before you cook the rice and garnish them as you wish. This is just giving you more options when you begin this recipe. Now, let your taste buds ignite and start cooking.
Ingredients needed for this Sesame Rice Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Cups White Long-grain Rice
- 2 Cups of Water (You can also do a Ratio of 2-1. 2 Cups of water to 1 Cup of Rice)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- Spring Onions for Topping
- Sesame Seeds for Topping
Here is a Rice to Water Ratio Chart which can help with any rice recipe in the Instant Pot. Yes you can use a 1 to 1 Water to rice ratio. However, we have found the 2-1 works best for us.
HOW TO MAKE Instant Pot Sesame Rice
In the instant pot insert place 2 cups water and 2 cups rice. The ratio for rice is 1:1. Add in salt, pepper, and sesame oil. Give it a good stir. Place the lid on the instant pot. Set the valve to a sealed position. Press the pressure cook or manual button. Set timer to 4 minutes.
Once the instant pot stops counting do not release the pressure, let it naturally release pressure on its own. The instant pot will count up to 30 minutes. If the pressure is not all out then you can release it. This will result in a crispy nice rice.
Serve along side chicken or beef topped with sesame seeds and spring onions.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Option 1: Optional: spring onions for topping
- option 2: Sesame seeds for topping
- In the instant pot insert place 2 cups water and 2 cups rice. The ratio for rice is 1:1. Add in salt, pepper, and sesame oil. Give it a good stir. Place the lid on the instant pot. Set the valve to a sealed position. Press the pressure cook or manual button. Set timer to 4 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting do not release the pressure, let it naturally release pressure on its own. The instant pot will count up to 30 minutes. If the pressure is not all out then you can release it. This will result in a crispy nice rice.
- Serve alongside chicken or beef topped with sesame seeds and spring onions.
Did you enjoy this fun Instant Pot Sesame Rice Recipe? You may also love the following posts:
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Homemade Bread Recipes
- The Best Instant Pot Macaroni And Cheese
- Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Cowboy Beans
- Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Chinese Pork
- Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Broccoli And Beef
- Healthy Instant Pot Dump Recipes
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!