Those tortillas add a lot of carbs to your meal. If you are looking for a healthier dinner option, this Instant Pot chicken burrito bowl is perfect! Its packed full of protein, flavor, and is super easy to make in your Instant Pot!
Why You’ll Love This Burrito Bowl Recipe
- Easy one-pot meal: This recipe requires minimal prep work and all the ingredients are cooked together in one pot, making cleanup a breeze.
- Quick cooking time: With the help of the Instant Pot, this dish can be on your table in under 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights!
- Healthy and balanced: Packed with protein from the chicken and beans, along with corn, this recipe is a well-rounded meal that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Ingredients
This chicken burrito bowl recipe is packed full of protein and healthy ingredients. Make sure you have everything you need before you get started! Here’s a shopping list:
- Canola or Vegetable Oil: Used to sauté the onion and garlic, it aids in flavor release and prevents sticking.
- Garlic, Minced: Adds a pungent depth that forms the aromatic base of the dish.
- Yellow Onion, Diced: Provides a sweet and savory note that complements the other flavors.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth: Acts as a cooking liquid that infuses the chicken and rice with a rich, savory flavor.
- Chili Powder: Gives the dish a warm, smoky kick, enhancing the overall taste.
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro: Offers a fresh, herbaceous touch that brightens the dish.
- Ground Cumin: Contributes an earthy flavor that’s integral to the dish’s Mexican-inspired profile.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: The main protein, it provides a hearty, lean element to the burrito bowl.
- Salt: Enhances the flavors of all other ingredients, making them more pronounced.
- Black Pepper: Adds a slight heat and complexity to the dish.
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Melts into the dish, adding a creamy, tangy layer of flavor.
- Black Beans, Drained: Add a nice texture contrast, while also boosting the dish’s protein and fiber content.
- Corn Kernels, Drained: Provide a sweet crunch that balances the savory elements of the dish.
- Salsa: Adds a tangy, spicy, and slightly sweet component that ties together all the flavors.
- Long Grain White Rice: Serves as the starchy base, absorbing the flavors and providing a satisfying chew.
How to Make This Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl?
Whether you are new to Instant Pot, or a seasoned pressure cooker, you’ll love making this chicken burrito bowl recipe! Follow the simple steps below for a delicious low carb dinner option:
Step 1: Sauté the Onions
Press “sauté” mode on your Instant Pot. Once your pot becomes hot, add in your oil, and onions. Stir occasionally for about 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Step 2: Season the Chicken
While your onions are cooking, season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Sauté the Garlic
Add in your minced garlic. Stir for about one minute.
Step 4: Turn Off Sauté and Add Broth
Add in your chicken broth. Scrape any residue from the onion and garlic that may still remain on the bottom of your pot.
Step 5: Add in the Main Ingredients
Next, add in your chili powder, cumin, chicken breasts, Black beans, corn, and salsa. Mix well.
Step 6: Add in the Rice
On top of the mixture add your white rice. Press the rice grains into the liquid making sure that every grain is submerged, but don’t stir.
Step 7: Lock the Lid
Press cancels on your instant pot. Close and lock the lid. Make sure that the valve is closed.
Step 8: Pressure Cook
Press the manual or pressure cook button and set your instant pot to high pressure for 10 minutes.
Step 9: Release the Pressure
Once the cooking time is complete, do a manual release by releasing the pressure yourself. To prevent it from spewing, you can allow a 10 minute natural release before manually releasing the pressure.
Step 10: Serve and Enjoy Your Chicken Burrito Bowl
Open the lid, and gently mix everything together.
Transfer to bowls and then top with your favorite toppings. You can top with diced tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and more! Enjoy your chicken burrito bowl.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Tips and Tricks
Using your Instant Pot is super easy once you start using it! But, if you are a newbie, here are some simple tips and tricks to make your meal come out perfect:
- Scrape the inner pot. After using the sauté, be sure to use a tad bit of water to scrape the residue off the bottom. This helps prevent the dreaded burn notice.
- Consider a natural release. Once the time is up, let your pot sit for about 10 minutes then do a manual release. This will prevent the contents from spewing out of the valve.
- Don’t stir the rice. Press the rice into the liquid so it is submerged, but do not stir it. You don’t want the rice to be on the bottom of the inner pot, or you will get a burn notice.
What Pairs Well With Burrito Bowls?
- Tortilla chips: Serve alongside your burrito bowls for some extra crunch and texture.
- Avocado: Diced or mashed avocado adds a creamy element to the dish.
- Salsa: Top your bowl with your favorite salsa for added flavor and spice.
- Cheese: Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top for a gooey and melty finish.
- Lime wedges: A squeeze of fresh lime juice brightens up the flavors in this dish.
- Cilantro: For those who enjoy it, fresh cilantro adds a pop of freshness to the dish.
How to Store Leftovers?
This dish can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze this dish for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat it, just thaw and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes:
- The Best Instant Pot Meatloaf Recipe
- A Great Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 31 Must-Try Mexican Instant Pot Recipes
- Bariatric Friendly Recipes For Your Instant Pot
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
- Instant Pot General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Ham: The Best Ham You Will Ever Have
- Instant Pot Panda Express Chow Mein
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken And Quinoa
- Instant Pot Beef And Broccoli
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts in this recipe. Just increase the cooking time to 15 minutes.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 TBSP garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1 TBSP black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 16-ounce salsa (or 16 oz jar salsa)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Press “Sauté” mode onyour Instant Pot. Once your pot becomes hot, add in your oil, and onions. Stir occasionally for about 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- While your onions are cooking, season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add in your minced garlic. Stir for about one minute.
- Add in your chicken broth. Scrape any residue from the onion and garlic that made still remain on the bottom of your pot.
- Next, add in your chili powder, cumin, chicken breasts, Black beans, corn, and salsa. Mix well.
- On top of the mixture add your white rice. Press the rice grains into the liquid making sure that every grain is submerged.
- Press cancels on your instant pot. Close and lock the lid. Make sure that the valve is closed.
- Set your instant pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the cooking time is complete, do a manual release by releasing the pressure yourself.
- Open the lid, and gently mix everything together. Transfer two bowls and then top with your favorite toppings.
- You can top with diced tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and more! Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 1905mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g