Bring the fiesta to your dinner table with Instant Pot Taco Pasta! This quick and easy recipe combines the best of both worlds – the beloved flavors of tacos and the comforting allure of pasta.
This one-pot dish provides all the flavors of tacos without any hassle or mess, perfect for busy mums looking for an easy way to whip up something special at dinnertime.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fusion of Favorites: This recipe cleverly combines the flavors of tacos and comfort of pasta.
- One-Pot Wonder: Utilize your Instant Pot to make this meal quickly with minimal cleanup.
- Family-Friendly: A crowd-pleasing dish that’s perfect for weeknight dinners or casual gatherings.
Here are the ingredients needed for this taco pasta Instant Pot recipe:
- Lean Ground Beef: The primary source of protein in this dish, it adds a hearty and savory element.
- Small Onion, Diced: Contributes a sweet and slightly sharp flavor that complements the beef.
- Minced Garlic: Adds a pungent, aromatic note that deepens the overall flavor profile of the dish.
- Pasta Shells: Serve as the base of the dish, soaking up all the flavors from the other ingredients.
- Mild Salsa: Infuses the pasta with a tangy, mildly spicy flavor and also adds some vegetable content to the dish.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning: Brings a warm, earthy, and slightly spicy flavor that’s characteristic of taco dishes.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth: Provides the liquid necessary for cooking the pasta in the Instant Pot and also enhances the overall savory taste.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Melts into the hot pasta, adding a creamy, rich, and slightly tangy flavor.
- Salt & Pepper: Enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
Taco Seasoning Recipe
Here are the ingredients for making taco seasoning:
- Chili Powder: Gives a mild heat and smoky flavor.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: Provide concentrated flavors without the need for fresh ingredients.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Add a spicy kick.
- Oregano: Brings a hint of earthy, minty flavor.
- Paprika: Adds a touch of sweetness and color.
- Cumin: Offers a warm, earthy flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential seasonings to enhance all the other flavors.
You can also check out the following recipe: Homemade Taco Seasoning.
How to Make Instant Pot Taco Pasta?
Here is a step-by-step recipe for cooking Instant Pot Taco Pasta
Step One: Add Ground Beef To Pot
Add the ground beef, diced onion and minced garlic to the Instant Pot insert.
Step Two: Turn On Saute Function
Press saute and brown the meat. Drain the grease if needed.
Step Three: Add Taco Seasoning
Once the ground beef is browned, add the homemade taco seasoning.
Step Four: Add Broth, Salsa and Pasta Shells
Add in the chicken broth, salsa and pasta and stir to combine the ingredients.
Step Five: Pressure Cook Taco Pasta
Close the Instant Pot lid and seal it shut. Set the manual button to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Quick Release Pressure
Once the cooking cycle has completed carefully vent the Instant Pot by performing a quick release.
Step Seven: Add Cheese
Stir in the 2 cups of shredded cheese until melted into the shell pasta.
Step Eight: Garnish And Serve
Garnish with salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese and other taco garnishes.
- Extra Beans: There are many different variations that you can try with this taco pasta Instant Pot recipe. One tasty option includes adding black beans, frozen corn or bell peppers to the mix.
- Add Tomatoes: This cheesy Instant Pot taco pasta does not need tomatoes. However, if you wish to add a tomato taste, add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce or 1/2 can diced tomatoes to the recipe for a tomato flavor.
- Cheese: You could even use a variety of different cheeses, such as cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, to give your dish a unique flavor. Or try using a Mexican blend cheese.
- Broth: Other substitutions include switching the chicken broth for beef broth, and adding a cup of enchilada sauce to the meat mixture.
- Add Chicken: If you prefer to use chicken instead of ground beef or ground turkey, simply add 1 pound of shredded chicken to your electric pressure cooker and follow the instructions as above.
Here are the best toppings for cheesy taco pasta.
What to Serve With This Recipe?
Wondering what to serve with taco pasta? Here are some ideas:
- Spicy Corn And Black Bean Salad
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Cheesy Quesadillas
Can I Use Frozen Ground Beef in Taco Pasta?
Yes, you can use frozen ground beef in this taco pasta recipe. Simply add the frozen beef to the Instant Pot and slowly cook in the pot from frozen.
Can I Use Ground Turkey for Taco Pasta?
Yes, you can use ground turkey for this recipe instead of ground beef. Simply follow the same cooking instructions.
You may also need to use a little extra chicken broth or salsa if the meat is not as flavorful and juicy as you would like it.
Taco Pasta vs Hamburger Helper
While both taco pasta and hamburger helper are simple, easy-to-make dishes that combine ground beef with pasta and a variety of spices, there are some key differences between the two.
Taco pasta casserole has a Mexican taco flavor, while hamburger helper has more of an American burger flavor.
Can I Cook Cheesy Taco Pasta in the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can cook cheesy taco pasta in the slow cooker. Brown your mince and then add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, and stir well to combine. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the pasta is cooked through and tender. Garnish as desired and serve warm. Enjoy!
- 1 Pound Of Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 2 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 16 oz Pasta Shells
- 16 oz Jar Of Mild Salsa
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- Add the ground beef, diced onion and minced garlic to the Instant Pot insert.
- Press saute and brown the meat. Drain the grease if needed.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add the homemade taco seasoning.
- Add in the chicken broth, salsa and pasta and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and seal it shut. Set the manual button to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed carefully vent the Instant Pot by performing a quick release.
- Stir in the 2 cups of shredded cheese until melted into the shell pasta.
- Garnish with salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese and other taco garnishes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 795Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 2782mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 54g
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you love to cook pasta then why not try these pasta dishes in your Instant pot. These delicious recipes are easy and simple and perfect for the Instant Pot newbie.