Do you love cooking with your Instant Pot but are tired of the same old recipes? If so, then get ready to be amazed at this delicious and easy Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe! With just a few simple ingredients and no prepping required, you can create a flavorful teriyaki chicken dish that will have everyone asking “Where did you learn how to make this?!”
This version of Instant Pot Honey Teriyaki Chicken is family-friendly and only takes around 20 minutes from start to finish. Impress your friends or even yourself in the kitchen today by trying out our quick and easy Teriyaki Chicken Instant Pot recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Authentic Taste: This recipe captures the classic, sweet-savory flavors of traditional Japanese teriyaki.
- Quick and Easy: The Instant Pot ensures a fast, foolproof cooking process.
- Versatile Dish: Serve over rice, noodles or steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Ingredients
Here are the ingredients needed for this Instant Pot honey teriyaki chicken recipe:
- Skinless Chicken Thighs: The star of the dish, offering a rich, juicy base that absorbs all the flavors.
- Soy Sauce: Provides a deep, savory umami flavor that’s essential to any teriyaki dish.
- Honey: Balances out the saltiness of the soy sauce with a touch of natural sweetness.
- Minced Garlic: Adds a kick of pungent, earthy flavor that pairs well with the other savory ingredients.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavors of the dish, making them more pronounced.
- Rice Vinegar: Brings a tangy note to the dish, balancing out the sweetness and saltiness.
- Pepper: Gives the dish a hint of heat, adding another layer of complexity to the flavors.
- Ginger Purée: Infuses the dish with a warm, spicy flavor that’s a classic in Asian cuisine.
- Cornstarch Thickener: Helps to create a thick, glossy sauce that clings to the chicken.
- Butter: Adds a subtle richness to the sauce, rounding out the flavors and giving it a silky finish.
- Diced Green Onions: Used as a garnish, they add a pop of color and a fresh, crisp flavor.
- Sesame Seeds: Another garnish, they add a nutty flavor and a bit of crunch for textural contrast.
How to Make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Here are the step-by-step instructions for Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken:
Step One: Turn On Saute Function
Place the Instant Pot on sauté mode and melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add cubes of chicken and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes to brown the outside.
Step Two: Add Spices and Flavorings
Cancel the sauté mode, add the spices, rice vinegar, honey, and soy sauce to the Instant Pot insert.
Step Three: Pressure Cook Teriyaki Chicken
Close the Instant Pot lid and set the sealing valve to closed. Set your electric pressure cooker to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Step Four: Naturally Release Pressure
When the honey teriyaki chicken has finished cooking, release the steam naturally for 10 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
Step Five: Turn On Saute
While simmering, whisk in the cornstarch slurry mixture slowly to thicken up your Teriyaki sauce.
Step Six: Garnish and Serve Teriyaki Chicken
Remove chicken from the pot and serve into bowls with green onions and sesame seeds.
Serve your Instant Pot teriyaki chicken over white steamed rice or brown rice for a delicious main course cuisine.
What Goes With Teriyaki Chicken?
What to eat with teriyaki chicken?
If you want to get creative and try something new, why not add some additional flavors? You might want to try using:
- Broccoli Rice
- Brown Rice
- Spiralized Veggie Noodles
- Roasted Vegetables
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice
- Arugula Salad
- Rice noodles
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
These sides will help to complement the teriyaki chicken and make an even more delicious meal. Enjoy!
Helpful Tips for Making Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- When making teriyaki chicken with honey, use a light-colored honey such as clover or orange blossom. This will help to produce a more subtle sweetness compared to darker varieties.
- To make the glaze thinner, add a little water and whisk until combined before brushing it on the chicken.
- If you don’t have rice wine vinegar try using apple cider vinegar.
- For extra flavor, sprinkle your chicken with sesame seeds after glazing.
- To get that classic teriyaki flavor, make sure to use a good quality soy sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Teriyaki Chicken?
Teriyaki Chicken is a traditional Japanese dish made with marinated chicken that has been cooked in a sweet and sticky teriyaki sauce. It can be served as an entree, over white or fried rice, or even used as a topping for salads.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Japanese?
Yes, teriyaki chicken is a traditional Japanese dish. The marinade and the cooking technique originates from Japan and has been popularized worldwide over the years.
The Japanese version of Teriyaki Chicken is more savory and less sweet than the American version that is typically served in restaurants.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Healthy?
Teriyaki Chicken is a great source of protein and can be a healthy option if you make it at home.
This particular Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe is made with ingredients that are low in saturated fat and has no added brown sugar, making it an even healthier alternative to the traditional restaurant version.
How Many Calories Are in Teriyaki Chicken?
Wondering how many calories are in teriyaki chicken? This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe has around 785 calories per serving. When served with a side of white or fried rice, this dish will make for a complete and satisfying meal.
What Does Teriyaki Chicken Taste Like?
Teriyaki Chicken has a sweet and savory flavor with hints of garlic and ginger.
The teriyaki sauce in this recipe is made from soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, ground ginger, and rice wine vinegar. All of these ingredients create a unique flavor that will tantalize your taste buds!
Why Make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce?
This Instant Pot honey teriyaki chicken recipe is made from scratch. The benefit of making homemade teriyaki sauce is that you can customize it to your taste.
Add more or less garlic and ginger, spice things up with some crushed red pepper flakes or chilli oil, or even add a touch of honey for sweetness.
Plus, making teriyaki sauce from scratch allows you to control the amount of sugar – the less processed your recipe the better! This is sure to become one of your favorite Instant Pot Chicken recipes.
How to Thicken Teriyaki Chicken Sauce?
To thicken the teriyaki sauce, you can whisk in a mixture of corn starch and cold water to the Instant Pot before serving. A cornstarch slurry will help the sauce become thicker and more like a traditional teriyaki sauce.
You can also simmer the sauce for a few minutes after cooking to reduce it further so that it coats the chicken nicely.
Best Soy Sauce for Chicken Teriyaki
When making chicken teriyaki, it is best to use a good quality soy sauce like Kikkoman or Tamari. Both of these are gluten-free and low in sodium, which makes them perfect for this recipe.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken to Make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts or frozen chicken thighs for this recipe. Just add an extra 5 minutes to the pressure cooking time when using frozen thighs and make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
We recommend thawing and patting dry your frozen chicken before cooking for the best results.
Can I Use Skin on Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you can use either skin-on or skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. However, we recommend using skinless as it will be healthier and have less fat.
If you do use chicken with the skin on, you’ll want it to be a little crispy so add a few extra minutes to the saute time at the start of the cooking process.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe as a substitute for chicken thighs. If using chicken breast, chop the chicken into cubes before cooking.
If you want to use pre-cooked chicken, shredded chicken or cooked chicken pieces then skip the saute instructions at the start as the chicken is already cooked.
What Veggies Go With Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes. If you want to add vegetables, you can add thinly sliced carrots, broccoli, onions, or bell peppers. Simply cut the vegetables into small pieces and add them to the pot with the chicken when cooking.
Enjoy your delicious Teriyaki Chicken Instant Pot recipe! Bon appetit!
Can I Use Ginger Powder Instead of Ginger Puree?
Yes, you can use ginger powder instead of ginger puree. Simply add one teaspoon of ground ginger or powdered ginger in place of the fresh ginger root.
Ginger powder will lend a milder flavor compared to fresh ginger so you may need to adjust the amount of soy sauce and rice vinegar depending on your taste preference.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Good to Batch Cook?
Yes if you’re not cooking for the whole family or you want to have some Teriyaki Chicken for lunch throughout the week then batch cooking is a great way to go.
You can double or triple the recipe and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked teriyaki chicken with the sauce. Place in an airtight container or freezer bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stovetop, in the Instant Pot on saute mode or microwave until warmed through. We recommend adding a splash of water
Can I Make Teriyaki Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make teriyaki chicken in the slow cooker. Simply combine all of the ingredients (except for the cornstarch slurry) in the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
Once cooked, whisk together the cornstarch mixture and add to the slow cooker. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes to thicken the sauce. Serve over rice with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Can I Make Teriyaki Chicken on the Stovetop?
Yes, you can make teriyaki chicken on the stovetop. Begin by heating a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the chicken to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often until chicken is cooked through.
In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the teriyaki sauce ingredients and add to the skillet. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Your stove-top teriyaki chicken is now ready to serve.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Gluten Free?
Yes, teriyaki chicken is naturally gluten-free if you use gluten-free soy sauce. Be sure to check the label of any soy sauce that you are using to make sure there are no wheat or barley ingredients.
You will also need to check the labels of any other ingredients that you use such as rice vinegar, honey and sesame oil to make sure that they are gluten-free as well.
What to Do With Leftover Teriyaki Chicken?
Leftover Teriyaki chicken can be great when added to salads or made into a wrap or teriyaki chicken sandwich. Yum!
How to Make a Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich
If you want to make a tasty sandwich using your teriyaki chicken then simply wait for the chicken to cool down. If using thighs, shred the teriyaki chicken mixture.
Toast a bun and top with the chicken mixture, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. You can also add some thinly sliced onions if you like. Enjoy your delicious teriyaki chicken sandwich!
Can Dogs Eat Teriyaki Chicken?
No, it is not recommended that you feed your dog teriyaki chicken as the ingredients used to make the teriyaki sauce can be toxic for dogs. Onions, garlic and ginger can cause an upset stomach or worse if ingested in large quantities by pets.
Can Cats Eat Teriyaki Chicken?
No, cats should not eat teriyaki chicken either as the ingredients in the teriyaki sauce can be toxic for cats.
- 7-8 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Of Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Of Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Of Salt
- 1/4 Cup Of Rice Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Of Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Of Ginger Purée
- Cornstarch Thickener (3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water mixed)
- 2 Tablespoons Of Butter
- Diced Green Onions (for garnish)
- Teaspoon Sesame Seeds (for garnish)
- Place the Instant Pot on sauté mode and melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add cubes of chicken and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes to brown the outside.
- Cancel the sauté mode, add the spices, rice vinegar, honey, and soy sauce to the Instant Pot insert.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the sealing valve to closed. Set your electric pressure cooker to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the honey teriyaki chicken has finished cooking, release the steam naturally for 10 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
- While simmering, whisk in the cornstarch slurry mixture slowly to thicken up your Teriyaki sauce.
- Remove chicken from the pot and serve into bowls with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve your Instant Pot teriyaki chicken over white steamed rice or brown rice for a delicious main course cuisine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 601Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 289mgSodium: 4476mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 60g
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try:
Did you enjoy this Instant Pot honey teriyaki chicken recipe? You may also love the following posts: