What I love about my Instant Pot is that I can make almost anything I am craving in it. Craving Chinese? I can make this Instant Pot General Tso Chicken in a breeze. Instead of ordering take out, save your money and try this recipe. Make it with Instant Pot rice for a delicious meal you can’t resist!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Recipe
The Instant Pot General Tso recipe is a game-changer for busy weeknights. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but the results are absolutely delicious. Here’s why you’ll love this dish:
- Quick and convenient: With just 30 minutes of cooking time, this recipe is perfect for those nights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
- Healthier option: This recipe uses lean chicken breasts and minimizes the use of oil, making it a healthier alternative to traditional takeout General Tso’s chicken.
- Made To Taste: You can also adjust the seasoning and sauce to your liking, making it easier to cater to any dietary restrictions or preferences.
General Tso Chicken Cooking Times
- Serves: 8 servings
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 min
Ingredients for Instant Pot General Tso Chicken
- Eggs (Beaten): Act as a binding agent for the flour and cornflour, creating a golden, crispy coating on the chicken when cooked.
- Flour and Corn Flour: Work together to create a perfectly light and crispy batter for the chicken, which adds a delightful crunch to every bite.
- Vegetable Oil: Used for sautéing, it ensures the chicken cooks evenly while also helping to infuse the flavors of the other aromatic ingredients.
- Minced Ginger and Minced Garlic: Are key flavor boosters, adding a zesty, spicy kick that’s fundamental to the dish’s distinct Asian profile.
- Red Chili Flakes: Give the dish its signature heat, adding a spicy punch that contrasts wonderfully with the sweet and tangy sauce.
- Rice Vinegar: Introduces a tangy twist, balancing out the sweetness and saltiness in the dish for that perfect sweet-and-sour note.
- Soy Sauce: A staple in Asian cuisine, soy sauce lends a deep, savory, umami flavor that enhances the taste of the dish.
- Hoisin Sauce: This sweet and slightly spicy sauce adds depth and complexity to the flavor profile, making the dish even more delicious.
- Water: Used to thin out the sauce, ensuring that all the flavors are distributed evenly throughout the dish.
- Brown Sugar: Brings a lovely caramel-like sweetness, balancing out the heat from the chili flakes and the tanginess from the vinegar.
- Cornstarch: Is a thickening agent that helps give the General Tso’s sauce its signature glossy, rich texture.
- Water: Is mixed with the cornstarch to make a slurry, which is then added to the sauce to thicken it.
How to Make General Tso Chicken?
Start by cutting the chicken into 3-4 inch chunks.
In a small bowl add your flour and corn flour mixto combine.
In another small bowl add your beaten eggs.
Take your chicken 5-6 pieces at a time, dip them in the egg mixture
first then into the flour mixture.
Place on a baking pan top with parchment paper and set to the side.
Repeat steps until all chicken has been coated.
Press Sauté on your Instant Pot-> click on high.
Wait for the Instant Pot to read HOT.
Add the oil to the Instant Pot, wait one minute for the oil to heat up
and add the chicken.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes, turn your chicken over to ensure even cooking.
Do this for a few times.
Continue to cook the chicken until it just starts to get golden.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant pot: ginger, garlic,
red pepper flakes, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar
Stir well to combine.
Close lid, select the Poultry function and adjust the time to 5 minutes.
Then use a 10 minute Natural Release.
Turn off the heat.
Open the lid.
Gently stir to combine.
Select Saute’ on the Instant Pot
Add your cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Turn your Instant pot off, let the General Tso Chicken stand for 5-7 minutes
Making the Cornstarch Slurry
In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with the water, whisk until all
combined with no lumps.
What To Serve With General Tso Chicken?
While the Instant Pot General Tso recipe is delicious on its own, it’s even better when served with some tasty sides. Here are a few ideas to pair with this dish:
- White or brown rice: A classic and simple option that pairs well with the flavorful sauce of the chicken.
- Vegetables: Stir in some broccoli, bell peppers, or snap peas to add some extra nutrients and texture to the dish. You can also serve them on the side for a more well-rounded meal.
- Noodles: If you’re craving something other than rice, try pairing this dish with some noodles like lo mein or chow mein for a delicious twist.
- Salad: For a lighter option, serve this General Tso chicken over a bed of greens or alongside a simple salad.
Get Creative With Leftovers
One of the best things about this Instant Pot General Tso recipe is that it makes for great leftovers. Here are a few ideas to get creative with your leftovers:
- Make a wrap: Simply wrap the leftover chicken, rice, and vegetables in a tortilla for an easy and delicious lunch option.
- Stir-fry: Chop up the leftover chicken and veggies and stir-fry them with some noodles or rice for a quick and tasty meal.
- Use as a topping: Add the leftover General Tso chicken to your favorite pizza or flatbread for a unique and flavorful twist.
With its versatility, convenience, and delicious flavor, it’s no wonder why this Instant Pot General Tso recipe is loved by many. So go ahead and give it a try for yourself – you won’t be disappointed!
So don’t wait any longer and grab your Instant Pot today so you can start enjoying this delicious dish in no time. Happy cooking!
And once you try this recipe out, be sure to share it with your friends and family. They’ll thank you for introducing them to such an amazing dish that will surely become a staple in their weekly meal rotation.
Enjoy! Happy cooking!
You may also enjoy:
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs (cut into 2-3 inch chunks)
- 2-3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. Minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 6 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 6 tbsp. soy sauce
- 6 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- Cornstarch Slurry:
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. water
- Cornstarch Slurry:
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. water
- Start by cutting the chicken into 3-4 inch chunks. In a small bowl add your flour and corn flour mix to combine.
- In another small bowl add your beaten eggs. Take your chicken 5-6 pieces at a time, dip them in the egg mixture first then into the flour mixture.
- Place on a baking pan top with parchment paper and set to the side. Repeat steps until all chicken has been coated.
- Press Sauté on your Instant Pot-> click on "high". Wait for the Instant Pot to read "hot".
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot, wait one minute for the oil to heat up and add the chicken. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, turn your chicken over to ensure even cooking.
- Do this for a few times. Continue to cook the chicken until it just starts to get golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant pot: ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and water. Stir well to combine. Close lid, select the Poultry function and adjust the time to 5 minutes.
- Then use a 10 minute Natural Release. Turn off the heat. Open the lid. Gently stir to combine. Select "Sauté" on the Instant Pot.
- Add your cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot. then cook for 5 minutes. Turn your Instant pot off, let the General Tso Chicken stand for 5-7 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 903mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g