You’re going to love the flavor of this Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot recipe! So delicious, so simple, and a great way to fill the bellies of everyone sitting around the table. Sure to be a family favorite recipe!
Don’t miss out on my Instant Pot Chicken Corn Chowder for another delicious dish!
Everyone knows that making soups in the Instant Pot is one of the best ways to cook soup. It’s fast, it’s efficient, and it really enhances and brings out the flavor. This is why I LOVE using my Instant Pot for soup recipes and will always continue to do so.
Why you’ll love this simple tortilla soup
With a cook time of just 20 minutes, it’s hard to believe that a soup this good can be made. But trust me on this one – your Instant Pot can crank out some crazy good recipes!
- Fast and simple
- Loaded with flavors
- Perfect for having as leftovers
Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot – Ingredients
All you have to do to get started is gather up the simple ingredients listed below. For the full measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Cloves garlic (minced)
- Diced green chiles
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Red enchilada sauce
- Chili powder
- Black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Canned or frozen corn
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
How to make easy chicken tortilla soup instant pot
Get ready to be amazed at how simple this soup recipe is!
Step 1: Set the Instant Pot to Saute
Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once hot, sauté onions for 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add the broth
Cancel the instant pot. Add a half cup of broth and scrape the instant pot bottom to remove onion and garlic.
Step 3: Add the ingredients
Add remaining broth, chicken, spices, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chilies, and beans. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until chicken is 165° internal.
Step 4: Take out the chicken
Quick release pressure and remove the chicken. Shred the chicken and return it to the pot.
Step 5: Serve
Serve and enjoy with your favorite topping such as lime crumbled tortilla chips or tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or avocado.
Should tortilla soup be thickened?
If you want to thicken it up you can, but I really like the consistency of this soup as is. I think that making it any thicker would make it almost have a chili consistency.
Can you freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes, you totally can! If you’re a fan of meal prep and freezing soups, this is a great recipe to do that with. All you need to do is make sure that you’re letting the soup cool down all the way before adding it to a freezer-safe bag.
Freezing it in a bag is a great tip because as it freezes, the bag will be flat and easier to stick in the freezer so that it doesn’t take up a bunch of room.
What are good soup toppings?
I love toppings! Some of my favorite toppings for soup are:
- shredded cheese
- diced onions
- fresh jalapenos
But you can easily add on anything that you’d like! Putting your own toppings in your own soup bowl is the best.
- • 2 teaspoons olive oil
- • 1/2 cup small white onion, diced
- • 1 TBSP cloves garlic (minced)
- • 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- • 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- • 15 ounces red enchilada sauce
- • 1 TSP chili powder
- • 1 TSP cumin
- • 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- • 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- • 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- • 1 cup canned or frozen corn (drained if canned)
- • salt and pepper (to taste)
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once hot, sauté onions for 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Cancel the instant pot. Add a half cup of broth and scrape the instant pot bottom to remove onion and garlic.
- Add remaining broth, chicken, spices, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chilies, and beans. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until chicken is 165° internal.
- Quick release pressure and remove the chicken. Shred chicken and return to the pot.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite topping such as lime crumbled tortilla chips or tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or avocado.
More Instant pot recipes
- Scrumptious Instant Pot Ribs On Garlic Mash: My Dad’s Favorite!
- 7 Super Simple Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks Recipes Your Family Will Thank You For
- Instant Pot Quinoa: Easy Recipe
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!