Looking to make something different for dinner, tonight? This Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken is just as good as ordering take-out. In fact, I think it’s better. It’s incredibly delicious and simple to make. In fact, this tasty firecracker chicken recipe cooks in less than half the time of take-out! So what are you waiting for let’s dig in and learn how to make Instant Pot fire cracker chicken today!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
- Explosion of Flavors: Experience a tantalizing mix of sweet, savory, and spicy in each bite.
- Quick Meal: Utilize your Instant Pot for a speedy yet satisfying dinner.
- Restaurant Quality: Create this popular takeout dish at home with simple, accessible ingredients.
Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken Ingredients
Here are the ingredients needed for pressure cooker firecracker chicken:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: The main protein in the dish, these are cut into bite-sized pieces for quick and even cooking.
- Corn Flour and Flour: Create a crispy coating on the chicken when it’s cooked, adding texture to the dish.
- Eggs: Act as a binder for the flour mixture, helping it adhere to the chicken pieces.
- Olive Oil: Used to sauté the chicken, it adds a depth of flavor and aids in browning.
- Buffalo Hot Sauce: Provides the fiery kick that gives firecracker chicken its name.
- Brown Sugar: Balances out the heat from the hot sauce and red pepper flakes, adding a sweet component to the dish.
- Rice Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds a tangy note to the sauce, complementing the sweetness and heat.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Enhance the spiciness of the dish. You can adjust the amount to suit your heat preference.
- Green Onions, Onion, Snow Peas/Sugar Snap Peas, and Red Pepper: These vegetables not only add color and crunch to the dish, but also provide a fresh counterpoint to the spicy-sweet sauce.
How to Make Firecracker Chicken?
Here is a step-by-step guide for making Instant Pot Fire Cracker Chicken.
Step One: Cut the Chicken Breast
Cut up your chicken breasts into 1″ to 1.5″ chunks and set them aside.
Step Two: Coat and Air Fry Chicken Pieces
Set up your station with one bowl holding your beaten eggs, and the
other holding your flour, and corn flour.
Spray the inside of your air fryer lightly with some oil.
Dip your chicken cube into the egg wash, then place it into your coating.
Make sure your chicken is well coated and place it into the air fryer.
Repeat until your air fryer is full.
Set your air fryer to 400F and cook your homemade chicken for 5 minutes.
You do not want to fully cook as we will use the Instant Pot next.
Step Three: Make Firecracker Sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, rice
vinegar and red pepper flakes. Set to the side.
Step Four: Saute Veggies in Instant Pot
Have the Instant Pot turned on saute mode. Add the olive oil and all the vegetables to the Instant Pot. Stir fry on saute mode for 5 minutes.
Step Five: Add Chicken to Instant Pot
Add the air-fried chicken to the Instant Pot. Pour the firecracker sauce over the chicken and veg. Toss to combine and close the Instant Pot Lid.
Step Six: Pressure Cook Firecracker Chicken
Turn the seal to closed and set the pressure cooker to pressure cook for 4 minutes. once the timer beeps, release the pressure with a quick release.
Step Seven: Garnish and Serve Spicy Chicken
Remove the lid and serve your Instant Pot firecracker chicken. Garnish with chopped green onions for extra texture and crunch.
Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken Cooking Times
You can make Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken in only 35 minutes under high pressure.
This Instant Pot Fire Cracker Chicken is the perfect dinner option for busy weeknights when you need a quick and easy meal that is packed with flavor. Whether you eat it on its own or pair it with some rice or noodles, you’re sure to love this tasty and easy dish! So what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and get cooking today!
Tips for Making Perfect Firecracker Chicken
The key to making perfectly crispy firecracker chicken is ensuring that the pieces are coated in your coating mixture evenly and fully before cooking. You may want to consider using the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid to crispen the chicken even further once your Instant Pot firecracker chicken has completely cooked.
What to Serve With Firecracker Chicken?
You can serve your firecracker chicken with a variety of different side dishes, such as rice or noodles, steamed veggies, or salad. Some great options include:
- -Creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- -Sesame ginger broccoli
- -Stir-fried bok choy and mushrooms
- -Easy egg fried rice
- -Cauliflower rice
You could turn this dish into a firecracker chicken pasta by adding your favorite pasta to the mix, or a firecracker chicken soup by adding your favorite broth and veggies. The possibilities are endless when it comes to serving this delicious spicy chicken dish!
It also goes perfectly with our Instant Pot Orange Chicken if you want a little more variety.
Want to Cook More Chicken in the Instant Pot?
Did you like this delicious Instant Pot Fire Cracker Chicken? If so, check out some of our other easy Instant Pot recipes, below:
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings with Jalapeno Jelly BBQ
- Honey Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken and Quinoa
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Firecracker Chicken?
Firecracker chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish made with crispy fried chicken pieces coated in a tasty sweet and spicy sauce. This hearty dish is typically loaded with flavor, thanks to ingredients like soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and sesame oil.
Why Make Instant Pot Spicy Chicken?
This spicy chicken Instant Pot dish is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a quick, satisfying dinner. It’s also great for feeding a crowd, as it’s super hearty. Hands down this has to be one of my favorite spicy Instant Pot recipes.
What Is Buffalo Sauce Made Of?
Buffalo sauce is a popular condiment that is traditionally made with hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and spices. It is used as a topping for chicken wings or other savory dishes and adds a zingy flavor and spicy kick to any dish.
Why Is It Called Buffalo Sauce?
It is believed that Buffalo sauce gets its name from the city of Buffalo, New York, where it was first created. The spicy and tangy flavor combination of buffalo sauce has become an iconic staple in American cuisine.
Is Buffalo Sauce Keto?
Yes, buffalo sauce is considered keto-friendly. It is low in carbs and contains little fat, making it a great choice for those following the keto diet. Buffalo sauce is great for making Keto Firecracker Chicken.
Can I Make Firecracker Chicken Thighs Instead?
While this specific recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breasts you can switch this for chicken thighs if you want to make Firecracker Chicken Thighs instead! Simply
Can I Use Frozen Chicken in This Recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken in this recipe. Simply increase the cooking time to 8 minutes under high pressure.
How to Make Firecracker Chicken Wraps?
Firecracker chicken wraps are a great way to turn this delicious dish into an easy lunch or snack option. To make these wraps, simply:
Assemble your favorite wrap ingredients, such as lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced peppers, and pickled onions.
Add in some cooked firecracker chicken to the wrap and top with a drizzle of your favorite sauces, such as ranch or buffalo sauce ingredients.
Roll up your wrap and enjoy!
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup corn flour
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten room temp
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- ⅓ cup buffalo hot sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes or more to taste
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ onion, sliced
- ¼ cup snow peas or sugar snap peas
- ¼ cup sliced red pepper
- Cut up your chicken breasts into 1″ to 1.5″ chunks and set them aside.
- Set up your station with one bowl holding your beaten eggs, and the
- other holding your flour, and corn flour.
- Spray the inside of your air fryer lightly with some oil.
- Dip your chicken cube into the egg wash, then place it into your coating.
- Make sure your chicken is well coated and place it into the air fryer.
- Repeat until your air fryer is full.
- Set your air fryer to 400F and cook your homemade chicken for 5 minutes.
- You do not want to fully cook as we will use the Instant Pot next.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, rice
- vinegar and red pepper flakes. Set to the side.
- Have the Instant Pot turned on saute mode. Add the olive oil and all the vegetables to the Instant Pot. Stir fry on saute mode for 5 minutes.
- Add the air-fried chicken to the Instant Pot. Pour the firecracker sauce over the chicken and veg. Toss to combine and close the Instant Pot Lid.
- Turn the seal to closed and set the pressure cooker to pressure cook for 4 minutes. once the timer beeps, release the pressure with a quick release.
- Remove the lid and serve your Instant Pot firecracker chicken. Garnish with chopped green onions for extra texture and crunch.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 276mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 56g