This Instant Pot Sausage & Spinach Soup is hearty, healthy, quick and easy! Whip it up in just 30-minutes in your Instant Pot!
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Sausage & Spinach Soup
When the cool weather seeps in, this soup is one of my favorites to make, and I’m sure it will become one of your favorites as well! Here’s why you’ll love it!
- It’s hearty and delicious. Packed with protein, fresh veggies, potatoes, and bursting with flavorful spices, you won’t find a more delicious soup.
- Perfect for meal prep. Soups can easily be stored in the freezer until you are ready to eat them. This soup is both delicious as a leftover and as a freezer meal.
- Great for chilly days. I love a warm bowl of soup on a cool day. This soup truly warms the soul.
- Simple ingredients. Most of the ingredients you probably already have, and the ones you don’t can easily be picked up on your next shopping trip.
Sausage & Spinach Soup Ingredients
Made with simple ingredients, you will love how easy this recipe is to prep and prepare. Get out your shopping list and jot these ingredients down!
- Pork sausage. You can use any flavor of sausage you like. Use turkeys sausage if you want a leaner meat.
- Onion: Yellow onions are the best for soups and stews.
- Bell pepper: I used a yellow bell pepper for this recipe, but you could switch it up and use red or green as well.
- Mushrooms: I use portobello mushrooms.
- White beans: I used Great Northern beans. You could also use Navy beans.
- Chicken broth: Use reduced sodium chicken for a healthier option.
- Potatoes: Chop and peel 3 cups of Russet potatoes. Yukon gold would be a good substitute.
- Worcestershire sauce: This adds a delicious flavor to your soup.
- Spinach: Fresh spinach is what I use, but you could use drained canned spinach as well.
- Seasonings: You will also need garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes for seasoning.
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage & Spinach Soup
Everything is easier in your Instant Pot and this Sausage & Spinach Soup recipe is no different. You’ll have a delicious dinner on the table in no time at all.
Step 1: Saute the Sausage
First, push the saute button on your Instant Pot. Once it is hot, add your sausage, oil, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook about 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Next, turn off the saute mode. Add the remaining ingredients except for the spinach. Stir. Press the manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Quick Release
Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by putting the sealing valve in the “venting” position.
Step 4: Add Spinach
Then, remove the lid and add your spinach. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
Serve and Enjoy!
What Potatoes Should I Use?
The best potatoes for this soup are Russet potatoes. You can also use Yukon Gold potatoes. The key is to use potatoes that are more starchy. Keep in mind that waxy potatoes such as red potatoes are better in stews than they are in soups.
How Do I Thicken Sausage & Spinach Soup?
Sausage & Spinach Soup is meant to be more of a watery soup. However, if you prefer it just a little thicker, you can thicken it up with flour or cornstarch. Pull out some of the broth into a separate bowl and whisk in a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch. Then add the mixture back to your soup and stir.
Sides to Serve with sausage spinach soup
This Sausage & Spinach Soup is hearty, meaty and delicious! Soup is great as an appetizer or a main course. Of course, soup and salad are perfect together. If you aren’t sure what to serve with your soup, here are a few ideas:
- 1 lb. pork sausage (all flavors are delicious!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 15.5 ounce can of white beans (I used great northern beans)
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups russet potatoes, chopped and peeled
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups spinach
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Once hot, add your sausage, oil, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Stir and cook until cooked; about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in your remaining ingredients except for the spinach to your Instant Pot.
- Close the lid. Close the valve and set your IP to High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes is complete, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and add in your spinach. Stir.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl! Enjoy!
More Soup Recipes to Try
Looking for more Instant Pot soup recipes? Check out my favorites!
- Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot Soup
- Instant Pot Carrot and Bisque Soup
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Soup
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!