One of my grandma’s favourite recipes happens to be cowboy casserole. In fact when Grandma asked me to do some batch cooking last week I decided to convert our family recipe into Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole and the recipe worked a real treat!
If you love beans, sausages, mushrooms, onion and bacon, then this is a great easy cowboy casserole recipe for you to try!
Why You’ll love This Recipe
- Hearty and Satisfying: This casserole is packed with protein, veggies, and flavor.
- One-Pot Meal: The Instant Pot makes it easy to cook and clean up.
- Family Favorite: It’s a crowd-pleaser that even picky eaters will love.
Ingredients Needed for Cowboy Casserole
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing, olive oil imparts a subtle flavor and ensures that the ingredients don’t stick to the pot.
- Cocktail Sausages: Add a rich, hearty, and slightly smoky flavor that is central to the dish.
- Baked Beans: Contribute a sweet and tangy taste, while also providing a hearty texture that makes this casserole so satisfying.
- Bacon: Adds a smoky, savory flavor, and its rendered fat enriches the dish and helps in sautéing the mushrooms.
- Mushrooms: Bring an earthy flavor and a meaty texture that complements the richness of the sausages and bacon.
- Water: Create the right consistency and ensure that the casserole doesn’t dry out during cooking.
- Salt & Pepper: Enhance all the other flavors in the dish, making the flavors of the sausages, beans, and bacon really shine.
Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole (Serves 3-4)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: Saute time plus 4 minutes pressure cook
Total time: 14 minutes
How to Make Cowboy Casserole in the Instant Pot?
Chop the onions and mushrooms.
Saute your bacon in the Instant Pot until cooked. You can cut the bacon into small pieces before or after you cook it. Remove from the pot once cooked.
Add your olive oil, onions and mushrooms to the Instant Pot. Saute until brown.
Add the baked beans to your pot, followed by the cocktail sausages and bacon pieces.
Add your water to the pot and stir the mixture around before sealing the lid.
Pressure cook on manual for 4 minutes. Quick release once finished.
Your cowboy casserole is now ready to serve. Enjoy.
Enjoy this delicious and tasty cowboy casserole recipe.
What to Serve With Cowboy Casserole?
The best serving options for this tasty sausage and beans recipe is to have it with mashed potato or simply as is. You could also have a crusty french loaf, tiger bread or bread rolls. Enjoy!
Looking for more fantastic recipes? Why not try out the following?
- Instant Pot Cowboy Beans Recipe
- Instant pot Corn On The Cob
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Instant Pot Shrimp Boil
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup With A Spicy Kick
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Dump and Dash Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Egg Roll In A Bowl
- Instant Pot Monkey Bread
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Cowboy Casserole?
Whilst there are a few versions of cowboy casserole out there, cowboy casserole in my family has always been a mixture of beans, onions, pork and mushrooms. In fact we have alternated this recipe using either sausages of beef burgers chopped into small pieces – which we call beef burger bean bake. However the idea is that it’s a mixture of tasty meats in a bean sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cocktail sausages
- 2 cans of baked beans
- 1 pack of bacon
- 2 cups of mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the onions and mushrooms.
- Sauté your bacon in the Instant Pot until cooked. You can cut the bacon into small pieces before or after you cook it. Remove from the pot once cooked.
- Add your olive oil, onions and mushrooms to the Instant Pot. Sauté until brown.
- Add the baked beans to your pot, followed by the cocktail sausages and bacon pieces.
- Add your water to the pot and stir the mixture around before sealing the lid.
- Pressure cook on manual for 4 minutes. Quick release once finished.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 940mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 9gSugar: 29gProtein: 15g