Indulge in the rich and comforting flavors of Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup. With the ease and speed of the Instant Pot, this classic soup transforms simple ingredients into a bowl of velvety goodness.
Ripe tomatoes, aromatic basil, and a medley of herbs come together effortlessly, creating a satisfying and timeless dish. Get ready for a warm and comforting experience with every spoonful! You’ll never want canned tomato soup again!
This creamy tomato basil soup will go perfect with this buttermilk scones recipe. Check it out.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: With the Instant Pot, enjoy homemade soup in a fraction of the time.
- Bursting with Flavor: This favortie soup recipe has basil and tomatoes creating an irresistibly rich and tangy hot soup.
- Comforting Meal: This creamy tomato basil soup is perfect for a cozy dinner, this soup is both hearty and healthy.
Here are the ingredients for this Tomato Basil soup Instant Pot recipe.:
- Garden Fresh Tomatoes: Form the base of the soup, providing a fresh and tangy flavor.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing, it adds a rich, fruity note and helps bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Enhance the overall flavor of the soup.
- White Onion: Adds a sweet, slightly sharp flavor that complements the tomatoes.
- Minced Garlic: Gives the soup a warm, savory depth of flavor.
- Fire Roasted Canned Tomatoes: Adds a smoky, rich contrast to the fresh tomatoes.
- Fresh Basil Leaves: Brings a sweet, peppery flavor that pairs well with tomatoes.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves: Contributes a subtle earthy note, enhancing the complexity of the soup.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Provides a spicy kick, elevating the flavor profile of the soup.
- Chicken Stock: Adds a savory richness and forms the liquid base of the soup, making it more hearty.
How to Make Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
Here are the step-by-step instructions for Instant Pot tomato basil soup:
Step One: Turn On Saute Mode
Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the chopped ripe tomatoes and canned diced tomatoes to the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Add Garlic, Onions and Seasonings
Add the garlic, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper, to the tomatoes and toss together until coated. Saute for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
Step Three: Add Chicken Stock
Add the chicken stock, fresh basil leaves, thyme and red pepper flakes to the Instant Pot.
Step Four: Pressure Cook Tomato Basil Soup
Close the Instant Pot lid. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Step Five: Allow a Natural Release
Once the Instant Pot creamy tomato soup has finished cooking allow the pot to naturally release and sit for 15 minutes.
Step Six: Blend
Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato soup. Add salt and pepper as needed.
Step Seven: Garnish & Serve
Serve this delicious soup in a bowl topped with fresh basil leaves and a little grated parmesan.
- If you’d like to thicken your tomato basil soup, simply simmer it for a few more minutes or add a cornstarch slurry (a mix of equal parts cornstarch and cold water). Use about 2 teaspoons of the slurry per cup of soup. Simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- For an extra layer of depth and richness in your Tomato Basil Soup, consider roasting the tomatoes in the oven before adding them to the Instant Pot. This enhances the natural sweetness and intensifies the flavors, creating a more robust and delightful soup experience.
- Vegetable Broth: You don’t have to use chicken broth for tomato basil soup. You can substitute vegetable broth or even water if you prefer. Just keep in mind that the flavor of the soup will be affected by your choice of liquid.
- Garlic: You can use garlic powder instead of minced garlic cloves. Use 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder for every clove of garlic the recipe calls for.
- Basil: You can use dried basil instead of fresh basil. A general rule of thumb is to substitute 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every tablespoon of fresh herbs. So if the recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, you would use 1 tablespoon of dried basil instead.
- There are a variety of delicious and healthy toppings that can be added to tomato and basil soup to enhance the flavor and nutrition content.
- Some popular toppings include shredded parmesan cheese, diced avocado, chopped green onions, croutons, and bacon bits.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Keep: Your Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup in sealed containers in the refrigerator for a satisfying experience that lasts 3-4 days.
For extended enjoyment: Freeze it. Conveniently transfer the soup into freezer-safe containers or robust freezer bags, offering a delightful option for up to 2-3 months.
To warm up: When ready to reheat again, thaw overnight in the fridge and then heat on the stove or in the microwave for 2-5 minutes, reviving the rich flavors effortlessly.
What to Serve With Tomato Basil Soup?
- This basil tomato soup is delicious when served with a side of garlic toast, or bread rolls, or served on its own as a lunch or wedding starter.
- If you’re looking for a healthier option, try an Italian salad such as a caprese salad or a side such as macaroni pasta or lemon chicken.
- Often people like to pair basil tomato soup with cheesy bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Where Should You Take the Temperature of Tomato Basil Soup?
It is important to make sure that the tomato basil soup reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
The best place to take the temperature of this soup is in the center of the pot, away from the sides and bottom where it may be hotter.
Do I Need Tomato Paste for This Instant Pot Tomato Soup?
No, you don’t need tomato paste for this Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup. The canned fire roasted tomatoes and fresh tomatoes provide enough of that natural tomatoey flavor to make this soup rich and delicious.
Can I Make Tomato Basil Soup Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make this tomato basil soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Simply reheat the soup when you are ready to serve it.
How to Cook Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup?
To make slow cooker tomato basil soup, add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Halfway through cooking, check to see if it needs more liquid and adjust accordingly.
You may also want to add a splash of cream or coconut milk at the end of cooking. It’s absolutely delicious.
- 3 pounds garden fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium white onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 28 oz can fire roasted canned tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the chopped ripe tomatoes and canned diced tomatoes to the Instant Pot.
- Add the garlic, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper, to the tomatoes and toss together until coated. Saute for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
- Add the chicken stock, fresh basil leaves, thyme and red pepper flakes to the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot creamy tomato soup has finished cooking allow the pot to naturally release and sit for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato soup. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve this delicious soup in a bowl topped with fresh basil leaves and a little grated parmesan.
You can use dried basil in this tomato basil soup recipe. A general rule of thumb is to substitute 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every tablespoon of fresh herbs. So if the recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, you would use 1 tablespoon of dried basil instead.
You can use garlic powder in this recipe. Use 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder for every clove of garlic the recipe calls for.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 747mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 8g
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you love tomato basil soup recipe you’ll also love these Instant Pot Soup recipes.