Discover a burst of savory goodness with our creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup made effortlessly in the pressure cooker. This tomato-based delight combines ripe tomatoes, aromatic herbs, and tender tortellini for a rich and satisfying bowl. It’s time to savor the warmth and deliciousness of tomato tortellini soup perfect for Instant Pot !
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- One Pot Meal: This traditional Italian soup is sure to be a hit. Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is an easy and delicious one-pot meal that you can have on the table in no time.
- Fresh Ingredients: The tortellini is cooked directly in the broth along with other flavorful ingredients like garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and crushed tomatoes adding depth of flavor.
- Super Fast: The broth is then enriched with cream, making it a creamy and comforting meal. Plus, since you’re making it in the Instant Pot, you can have this delicious soup ready in just minutes! Enjoy!
Here are the ingredients for Instant Pot Ingredients:
- Ripe Vine Tomatoes: Are the base of the soup, providing a fresh, tangy flavor.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing, it adds a rich, fruity note and helps bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Enhance the overall flavor of the soup.
- White Onion: Adds a sweet, slightly sharp flavor that complements the tomatoes.
- Minced Garlic: Gives the soup a warm, savory depth of flavor.
- Fire Roasted Canned Diced Tomatoes: Adds a smoky, rich contrast to the fresh tomatoes.
- Fresh Basil Leaves: Brings a sweet, peppery flavor that pairs well with tomatoes.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves: Contributes a subtle earthy note, enhancing the soup’s complexity.
- Italian Seasoning: A blend of Italian herbs that adds an aromatic Italian touch to the soup.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Provides a spicy kick, elevating the flavor profile of the soup.
- Chicken Stock or Chicken Broth: Adds a savory richness and forms the liquid base of the soup.
- Fresh Tortellini: Introduces a hearty, pasta element that makes the soup more filling.
- Heavy Cream: Gives the soup a creamy, luxurious texture and balances the acidity of the tomatoes.
How To Make Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
Here is a step-by-step guide for making Instant Pot tortellini soup:
Step One: Turn On Saute Function
Turn your Instant Pot to Saute. If the tomatoes are large, halve or quarter them, and place them in the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Add Onion & Seasoning
Add the garlic, onions, olive oil, and salt and pepper, to the fresh and diced tomatoes and toss together until coated. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
Turn the Instant Pot off and add all remaining ingredients, except the tortellini.
Step Three: Pressure Cook
Lock the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam release vent to ‘sealing’. Set the pot to pressure cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
Step Four: Natural Release
Once the tortellini soup is finished cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release for an additional 10-15 minutes before opening the lid.
Step Five: Blend the Soup
Blend the soup using an immersion blender.
Step Six: Add Tortellini to Soup Mixture
Add the tortellini and heavy cream to the Instant Pot and turn to saute once more.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until the pasta is soft. Add salt and pepper as needed.
Step Seven: Garnish & Serve
The tortellini soup is now ready to be served.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
- There are two main tricks to making this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup recipe a success. The first is that you want to ensure the tortellini floats freely and doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of your pressure cooker.
- The second tip is to not overfill your pot with too much liquid as it can prevent the pressure from building correctly.
There are many variations of tortellini soup, from vegetarian and vegan-friendly recipes to chicken tortellini soup. Here are some easy variations you can try:
- Vegetarian Tortellini Soup: Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup. You can add your favorite vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots or kale to make it more nutritious.
- Spinach Artichoke Tortellini Soup: This is a creamy twist on your classic tortellini soup. Just add in a can of artichoke hearts and a big handful of spinach at the end to make it more flavorful.
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup: Add a cup of mild Italian sausage or pork sausage during the last step to make this soup even more delicious. You can also add some red pepper flakes for a nice kick.
- Beef Tortellini Soup: Replace the chicken broth with beef broth and add in some lean ground beef and fresh spinach. This is an easy way to make this soup more hearty and filling.
Storage & Reheating Instructions:
Fridge: Instant Pot Tortellini soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and will last from 3-5 days. I would not store this soup for longer than this time frame as it won’t stay fresh for much longer than this.
Freeze: Yes, you can freeze Tortellini soup. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag and it will keep for up to 3 months.
Reheat: To reheat frozen tortellini soup, thaw in the fridge overnight and heat on the stovetop until warmed through. To reheat tortellini soup in the Instant Pot, simply select the Saute setting and simmer until heated through.You can also reheat soup in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval.
What to Serve With Tortellini Soup?
If you’re wondering what to eat with Tortellini soup then here are some of my top suggestions:
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Rolls
- Jiffy Cornbread
- Garlic Bread
- Avocado Caprese Salad
- Steamed Asparagus
- Sweet Potato Chips
What Is Tortellini Pasta?
Tortellini are small semi-circles of rolled dough that are folded around a filling. Tortellini is one of the most popular types of pasta in Italy and originates from the Italian city of Bologna.
Here Tortellini serves as a broth-like dumpling. Stuffed Pasta can have several fillings from a mix of ground meat such as ground sausage or prosciutto to egg or cheese for example Parmigiano Reggiano.
Can I Use Dried Tortellini?
Yes, you can use dried tortellini for this recipe. However, you will need to pressure cook the dry tortellini for 5 minutes with one cup of water and set aside to add at the end.
How to Make This Soup Healthier?
This Instant Pot Tortellini Soup can be made healthier by reducing the amount of cheese and cream used. You can also opt for an alternative to heavy cream such as half-and-half or milk.
To reduce calories and fat, use whole wheat tortellini instead of regular, and add plenty of veggies such as carrots, celery or fresh baby spinach.
Can I Use Garlic Powder?
Yes if you wish to use garlic powder add 1 teaspoon for every two garlic cloves.
- 3 Pounds Ripe Vine Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 28 Oz Fire Roasted Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Of Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Quart Chicken Stock Or Chicken Broth
- 1 Package Of Ready-Made Tortellini
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Turn your Instant Pot to Saute. If the tomatoes are large, halve or quarter them, and place them in the Instant Pot.
- Add the garlic, onions, olive oil, and salt and pepper, to the fresh and diced tomatoes and toss together until coated. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add all remaining ingredients, except the tortellini.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam release vent to ‘sealing’. Set the pot to pressure cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Once the tortellini soup is finished cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release for an additional 10-15 minutes before opening the lid.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Add the tortellini and heavy cream to the Instant Pot and turn to saute once more.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the pasta is soft. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- The tortellini soup is now ready to be served.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
- There are two main tricks to making this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup recipe a success.
- The first is that you want to ensure the tortellini floats freely and doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of your pressure cooker.
- The second tip is not to overfill your pot with too much liquid as it can prevent the pressure from building correctly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 10g
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes:
If you love this creamy tortellini soup recipe you may also love the following posts: