If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal that’s budget-friendly and super tasty then you’ll love this brilliant poor man’s ground beef recipe.
Packed with flavor and so very versatile, Amish Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy is a must-have hearty dish for any mushroom lover. This recipe can be oven-baked or cooked in the Instant Pot.
But what exactly is hamburger steak?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Comfort Food: This recipe offers a hearty, satisfying meal that’s perfect for family dinners.
- Savory and Juicy: The hamburger steak is tender and flavorful, enhanced by the mushroom gravy.
- Simple to Prepare: Despite its rich taste, this dish is surprisingly easy to make.
Hamburger Steaks With Mushroom Gravy
Hamburger steak mushroom gravy is made with only a few simple ingredients!
Also known as savory mushroom sauce, this deliciously creamy gravy can be made from scratch using baby bella mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or wild mushrooms.
Ingredients for Amish Poor Man’s Hamburger Steak
- Ground Beef (or Ground Chicken/Turkey): Forms the base of the hamburger steak, providing a hearty and savory flavor. Ground chicken or turkey can be alternatives for a leaner option.
- Milk (Optional): Adds moisture to the hamburger steak mixture, creating a tender texture. Alternatively, beef broth can be used for a richer flavor.
- Crackers (Plain Crackers or Bread Crumbs): Act as binders, absorbing excess moisture and helping to hold the hamburger steak patties together during cooking.
- Flour (All-Purpose Plain Flour): Used to coat the hamburger steak patties before cooking, creating a golden crust and enhancing the texture.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup: Serves as the base for the mushroom gravy, adding a rich and creamy texture with a deep mushroom flavor.
- Onion: Adds sweetness and depth of flavor to the hamburger steak mixture, enhancing its overall taste.
- Egg: Acts as a binder, helping to hold the hamburger steak patties together and giving them a smoother texture.
- Garlic: Contributes a robust and aromatic flavor, complementing the savory notes of the ground meat.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing the hamburger steaks, adding a hint of richness and preventing sticking during cooking.
- Parsley: Adds a touch of freshness and a burst of color to the hamburger steaks, enhancing their visual appeal.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor of the hamburger steaks, bringing out the natural savory notes of the ingredients.
- Cayenne Pepper: Adds a subtle kick, balancing the richness of the dish with a bit of heat.
- Garlic Powder: Intensifies the garlic flavor, ensuring it permeates the entire dish.
- Onion Powder: Enhances the onion flavor in the hamburger steak mixture, providing a consistent taste.
- Italian Seasoning: Adds a blend of herbs, bringing a harmonious and well-rounded flavor profile to the hamburger steaks.
How to Make Hamburger Steak?
Here are the steps to show you how to make hamburger steak with mushroom gravy oven baked or in the Instant Pot.
To Make the Mushroom Gravy or Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Add milk or beef broth to the condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Chop parsley and add it to the sauce.
Mix well and stir.
To Make Hamburger Steak
Place your hamburger meat, (ground beef) in a large bowl.
Add salt, pepper, herbs, onion, and garlic powder to the hamburger meat.
Break the crackers or bread crumbs into small pieces.
Add it to the seasoned ground beef.
Add the egg to your beef mixture.
Combine all the ingredients to form small meatballs or patties.
Pan the meatballs in flour.
Fry quickly on all sides in a large frying pan on a medium heat until nicely browned.
Saute for 4 minutes if using the Instant Pot.
How to Cook Hamburger Steak in the Oven?
If cooking your hamburger steaks in the oven, place the seasoned ground beef patties in a heat-resistant container.
Pour over the mushroom sauce.
Cover with foil, bake in a preheated 180-degree oven for about 40 minutes.
Serve your baked hamburger steak
Recipe Tips: Mushroom Gravy Hamburger Steaks
If you wish to add fresh mushrooms to the recipe then that’s perfectly fine. They will cook well in the instant pot adding an earthy flavor to the hamburger and mushroom gravy.
How to Store Hamburger Steaks?
IN THE FRIDGE: For up to three days, store frozen leftover hamburger steaks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze the raw patties for up to two months. You can also freeze leftovers for a later date for the same period.
What Goes With Hamburger Steak?
So what can you serve with hamburger steak? Here are my top suggestions:
- Mashed Potatoes – Check out our Instant Pot Garlic Mash recipe here.
- Green Beans
- Instant Pot Rice
- Roasted cauliflower
- Baby carrots
- Potato Wedges
- Scalloped Potatoes
And you also might want to serve it with a delicious dessert! Check out our New York Cheesecake or Chocolate Lava Cakes.I’m sure you’ll love this Hamburger steak and mushroom gravy recipe! Let me know what you think. We love this hearty meal and it’s great because it can be made in the oven or the instant pot.
Don’t forget to check out our Sabana De Res steak recipe! You may also enjoy the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Hamburger Steak?
Have you ever wondered what hamburger steak is made of? Hamburger steak is an inexpensive ground beef dish that the Amish have been making for years.
It’s also known as breaded hamburger or Salisbury steak.
Traditionally served with mushroom sauce, mushroom gravy, or brown mushroom gravy, this meal is so versatile it can be eaten plain or with your favorite side dishes!
Why Make Homemade Hamburger Steak?
Hamburger steak made at home tends to turn out juicier than hamburger steak made in restaurants. The reason for this is that they use tougher cuts of meat, so your hamburger steak might not be as tender.
What Is Mushroom Gravy Made Of?
Today’s mushroom gravy and hamburger steaks recipe is made using a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, parsley, and milk. It creates a budget-friendly and easy mushroom sauce for steak.
If you’re a huge fan of mushrooms you can also add finely chopped mushrooms to the sauce. Be sure to use clean mushrooms!
How Do You Clean Mushrooms?
To clean mushrooms, use a dry brush to brush off any dirt. Rinse the mushroom in cool water to remove any remaining grit.
If you need to wash them, add the mushrooms into a colander and run under cold water for about 30 seconds or until all the grit has been removed.
Dry the mushrooms with a damp paper towel before chopping and adding to the mushroom gravy.
How Long to Cook Hamburger Steak in Oven?
For this absolutely delicious recipe, the hamburger steaks will cook in the oven for 40 minutes. If cooking in an Instant Pot, the recipe takes 10 minutes in the pressure cooker.
How to Cook Instant Pot Hamburger Steak?
If you sauteed the hamburger steaks in the instant pot then remove the steak patties and deglaze your pot. This will prevent any burn message while cooking your steaks.
Return patties into the pot. Pour the creamy mushroom sauce over the patties.
To cook patties, set your pressure cooker on high for ten minutes.
Once cooked, use the quick release option and allow the steam to exit.
Serve once ready.
How to Freeze Hamburger Steaks?
As stated above you can freeze hamburger steaks before or after cooking. To Freeze Hamburger Steak Patties Raw patties – Wrap each patty in cling wrap and place them in an airtight container. After cooking – Cool cooked hamburger steak completely.
Defrosting Hamburger Steaks
When you are ready to serve your burger steaks, defrost them overnight in the fridge or at room temperature. Once thawed, cook as usual. If already cooked with the savory gravy, reheat for around 10 to 15 minutes at 185-degree in the oven or 4 minutes in the microwave.
- Ground beef - approximately 900g of hamburger (you can use ground chicken or turkey instead)
- Milk – 1 cup. Milk is optional as you can add 1/2 cup of beef broth instead.
- Crackers – 1 ½ cups of plain crackers or bread crumbs
- Flour - ½ cup all-purpose plain flour
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup - 1 can. This creates the mushroom base for the mushroom gravy
- Onion - 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 egg - this will help to make the hamburger steak patties
- Garlic – 2 large cloves
- Olive oil – you will need about 4 tablespoons of olive oil to saute the delicious hamburger steaks.
- Parsley – 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Cayenne pepper – ¼ tsp
- Garlic powder - ½ tsp
- Onion powder - ½ tsp
- Italian seasoning ½ tsp
- Add milk or beef broth to the condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- Chop parsley and add it to the sauce.
- Mix well and stir.
- Place your hamburger meat, (ground beef) in a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs, onion, and garlic powder to the hamburger meat.
- Break the crackers or bread crumbs into small pieces.
- Add it to the seasoned ground beef.
- Add the egg to your beef mixture.
- Combine all the ingredients to form small meatballs or patties.
- Pan the meatballs in flour.
- Fry quickly on all sides in a large frying pan on a medium heat until nicely browned. Saute for 4 minutes if using the Instant Pot.
- If cooking your hamburger steaks in the oven, place the seasoned ground beef patties in a heat-resistant container.
- Pour over the mushroom sauce.
- Cover with foil, bake in a preheated 180-degree oven for about 40 minutes.
- Serve your baked hamburger steak
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1503Total Fat: 72gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 262mgSodium: 2614mgCarbohydrates: 136gFiber: 5gSugar: 18gProtein: 75g