Easy Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fresh mushrooms, and marsala wine, this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is absolutely heavenly. This Italian-American dish is one the whole family will devour as soon as it hits the table.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Marsala Recipe
I absolutely love ordering a chicken marsala meal when we go out for dinner, and this recipe is just as good as restaurant-style. Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple ingredients. You can whip up this dish with simple ingredients. You may not even have to make a big list.
- Rich and earthy flavors. The marsala sauce is a very rich with an earthy and unami flavor with a subtle sweetness.
- Quick and easy to make. This recipe only takes 15 minutes to prep, and it is ready to be served in 30 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Ingredients
When it comes to making the best chicken marsala, you don’t want to skimp on any of the ingredients. Get out your shopping list and make sure you have everything you need:
- Chicken: You will be cutting your chicken into small fillets. So, you’ll want to either use precut chicken or boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Seasonings: Check your cabinets for minced garlic and nature’s seasoning.
- Mushrooms: The best mushrooms for dishes like this are crimini mushrooms or baby bellas.
- Chicken stock: You’ll need chicken stock (not broth) to make the rich creamy sauce.
- Flour: You’ll need to coat your chicken with flour and seasoning before sauteeing it up. Just use regular all-purpose flour.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream helps thicken your sauce for a truly creamy meal.
- Marsala wine: If you don’t have marsala wine, you can use 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar instead.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this page for a full list of exact ingredients.
How to Make Chicken Marsala In the Instant Pot
Making chicken marsala has never been easier! Get out that Instant Pot and follow the simple steps below!
Step 1: Cut up the Chicken
On a cutting board, cover each chicken breast with plastic wrap and pound the chicken flat using a meat mallet or the flat side of a cleaver. Then, cut the chicken 1/2 inches thick small fillets.
Step 2: Add Breading to the Chicken
Next, in a bowl, mix the flour and nature’s seasoning together and coat each chicken fillet.
Step 3: Saute the Chicken
Hit the saute button on your Instant Pot. Then, melt the butter and 1 tablespoon of oil. Saute the chicken fillets until they are golden brown.
Step 4: Saute Mushrooms and Garlic
Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot. Then, toss the mushrooms and garlic in and sautee them for about 5 minutes.
Step 5: Add Chicken Stock and Wine
Add your chicken stock and wine to the mushrooms and garlic and continue to saute it for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Pressure Cook
Hit cancel on your Instant Pot. Then, place the chicken on top of the mushroom sauce. Close and lock the lid. Then, hit pressure cook or manual and set the time for 10 minutes.
Step 7: Natural Release
After the time is up and the pressure cooker beeps, let it naturally release for 5 minutes. Then, flip the pressure valve to the venting position and release the rest of the pressure.
Step 8: Add Cream
Remove the chicken from the inner pot and set it aside. Next, add the heavy cream and stir it until the sauce thickens.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve!
How Do You Thicken the Sauce?
If you feel the sauce is too thin after simmering it for 10 minutes, you can thicken it up. To do this, combine 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 teaspoon of the sauce in a small bowl. Then add the mixture back to the sauce to thicken it.
Do I Need to Refrigerate Marsala Wine?
Due to the fortifying process, you do NOT need to refrigerate your marsala wine after you open it. It lasts anywhere from 4 to 6 months after opening. It won’t go bad, but it will start to lose its flavor and fragrance after 6 months.
What Do I Make with Chicken Marsala?
Chicken marsala pairs beautifully with easy sides like mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or steamed vegetables. Here are some of our favorite side options:
- Healthy Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- Easy Sheet Pan Vegetables
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
This chicken marsala is a tasty and delicious instant pot recipe the whole family will adore.
- 2 large Chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon of nature’s seasoning
- 8 oz of sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of Parsley
- 2/3 cup of Chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup of Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of Marsala wine (1/4 quarter cup of white wine vinegar to substitute)
- On a cutting board, cover each chicken breast with plastic wrap and pound the chicken flat using a meat mallet or the flat side of a cleaver.
- Once the chicken is 1/2” thick, cut into smaller fillets.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and nature's seasoning together and coat each chicken fillet.
- Set the instant pot to sauté and melt the butter and 1 tablespoon of oil. Sauté the chicken fillets until golden.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Toss in the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and wine and reduce for 10 minutes.
- Place chicken on top of mushroom reduction and close the instant pot. Seal the pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes
- Before releasing pressure, let it naturally release for 5 minutes
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add the heavy cream and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Pour over chicken and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1503mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Chicken is so versatile! You can make some of the best meals with a few pounds of chicken breasts. Here are some of my favorite Instant Pot Chicken Recipes for you to try!
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Teriyaki Chicken with Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!