When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup, but eating the classic chicken noodle and tomato soup can get boring. This Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is creamy, cheesy, and sure to add variety to your dinners.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
Why We Love Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
I’m a fan of soup during those bone chilling months. Soup is a comfort food that warms the soul, but this Instant Pot cheeseburger soup is definitely one of my favorites, and here’s why:
- Quick and easy. Using your Instant Pot, you can whip this creamy, cheesy soup up in less than an hour.
- Cheesy and delicious. Packed with ground beef, fresh seasonings, and lots of cheesy goodness, this soup is one the whole family will love.
- Perfect for a crowd. This soup serves 4-6 people, but can easily be doubled to serve a crowd. If you need something cheap and easy to make for your quests, this is the perfect idea.
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
Although this isn’t your classic soup, you’ll find that you probably already have most of the ingredients already in your cupboards. Here’s what you need:
- Ground meat– For this recipe, I use ground beef, but you could use ground turkey or ground chicken as a healthier alternative.
- Onion– I use a sweet onion, but you can use any onion you prefer. Make sure to dice it up.
- Potatoes– Peel and dice your potatoes into small pieces.
- Cheddar cheese soup– A can of Cambell’s condensed cheddar cheese soup adds flavor and lots of cheesy goodness.
- Heavy cream– The key to a creamy soup is the heavy cream. If you don’t have any, you can make 1 cup of heavy cream by mixing ⅔ cup of whole milk with ⅓ cup of melted butter.
- Shredded cheese– You can measure your cheese out, but for this recipe, add more or less depending on how cheesy you want it to be.
- Seasonings– To season this delicious soup you’ll need onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Green onions– Garnish your dish with fresh chopped green onions to add texture, flavor, and color.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Dreamy, creamy, and delicious, this Instant Pot cheeseburger soup is sure to be your new favorite wintery dinner. Get out all your ingredients, and let’s get started!
Step 1: Sauté Your Onion and Meat
First, hit the sauté or sear button on your Instant Pot. Then, add the ground meat and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
Step 2: Add All the Ingredients
Next, add the water, potatoes, soup, onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to your Instant Pot. Stir to combine, but don’t over mix.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Place the lid on your Instant Pot, put the pressure valve into the sealing position, hit manual or pressure cook, and set the time for 1-minute.
Step 4: Quick Release
Once the Instant Pot beeps, flip the pressure valve to the venting position to do a quick release of the pressure.
Step 5: Simmer the Soup
Hit cancel on your Instant Pot, and then hit the sauté or sear button. Once it starts to simmer, add the cream, stir to incorporate, and then add the green onions.
Step 6: Add the Cheese
Slowly stir in your shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese is completely melted.
Step 7: Garnish and Enjoy
Top your soup with your favorite garnishes such as bacon bits, more cheese, or green onions. Serve and Enjoy!
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup Tips
- Don’t overcook the meat. Don’t completely cook your meat as it will continue cooking under pressure. You don’t want the meat to be overdone.
- Spread out the potatoes. Make sure the potatoes are evenly spread out in your pot. This helps them to cook evenly, so that they are tender, but not mushy.
- Add bacon. Instead of just bacon bits, add fresh crumbled bacon to your soup to make it even tastier.
What Potatoes Do I Need to Use?
The best potatoes to use for soup are Russet potatoes. This is because they get tender, but not mushy in soups. You can use yellow and red potatoes, but you want to be careful not to overcook them.
What Cheese Can I Use?
For this recipe, I used shredded cheddar cheese because it melts the best. However, you could use pepper jack, mozzarella, or any shredded cheese you prefer. Additionally, I find that Velveeta cheese leaves this soup thick, creamy, and cheesy.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
If you have leftover soup, allow it to cool completely. Then, place your cheeseburger soup in an airtight container or ziplock bag. You can store it in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Packed with protein, potatoes, and cheesy goodness, this Instant Pot cheeseburger soup is the perfect all in one meal! However, it pairs well with additional sides like:
- 1 lb lean ground meat (I used ground turkey, but you can use ground chicken or ground beef.)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 - 10.5 oz condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped for garnish
- Turn your instant pot on to sauté mode. Add in your meat and onion. Sauté until your meat is slightly pink (don’t completely cook your meat as it will continue cooking under pressure) and your onion is translucent. Should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add to Your instant pot the water, and potatoes. Make sure the potatoes are evenly spread out in your pot. Add in your remaining ingredients (Soup, onion and garlic powder, and salt and pepper.). Do not mix it.
- Place a lid on your instant pot, and twist to seal. Close the pressure valve on top by pushing it away from you. So your instant pot to high pressure for one minute. Once it has finished cooking, do a quick release on the pressure by releasing the pressure valve manually.
- Turn your Instant pot on cancel, and then turn on sauté mode. Once the soup starts to simmer, slowly add in your cream. Once that is completely incorporated after stirring, add in your green onions. Mix.
- Stirring slowly with your spoon, incorporate your shredded cheese. Mix until well incorporated and melted in.
- Serve and enjoy! You can choose to top with Bacon bits, more cheese, and green onions. Salt and pepper more to your liking.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Mama’s Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
and you might also love Instant Pot Ramen Noodles!
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!