Do you have leftover chicken? If you are like me, you put the leftovers in the fridge intending to eat them, but end up throwing out moldy food at the end of month! We’ve all been there. Who wants to eat leftovers?? This Instant Pot Greek Chicken and rice is the perfect way to use up that leftover chicken! In fact, it will taste just like a whole new meal.
*I use affiliate links in this post. If you buy anything from my links I will earn a small commission*
What is Greek Chicken?
Greek chicken is regular old chicken made and flavored with Greek ingredients. Greek food consists of mainly fresh vegetables, meat, and grain. Each dish is packed with a variety of fresh or dry herbs such as oregano and thyme.
Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Rice Ingredients
You won’t need a lot for this recipe, but it will still be jam packed with flavor! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Precooked chicken: I use this recipe with any leftover chicken that I have. Rotisserie chicken works well for this recipe. If you don’t have any precooked chicken, you can still make this recipe.
- Rice: I used plain white rice for this recipe. Keep in mind that other types of rice may need more or less time.
- Fresh veggies: You’ll use fresh zucchini, squash, and tomatoes to make a perfectly greek dish.
- Feta Cheese: You can’t have Greek without a little feta cheese. You’ll top your dish with it when serving.
- Seasonings: Sprigs of oregano and thyme add a burst of Greek flavor that everyone will love. If you prefer, add a little salt and pepper too.
Please scroll to the bottom to see exact ingredients provided in the recipe card!
How to Make Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Rice
If you already have precooked or leftover chicken, this recipe is going to be a breeze! Just follow the simple steps below:
Step 1: Add in Ingredients
First, chop up your veggies. In your inner pot, add rice, water, squash, oregano, thyme, and zucchini.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Next, set your valve on top of the lid to the “sealing” position. Then, press the “pressure cook” or “manual” button and set your Instant Pot for 4 minutes.
Step 3: Natural Release
After the Instant Pot beeps, allow it to sit there for 15 to 30 minutes and naturally release the pressure.
Step 4: Add Chicken
Finally, you will add in your PRECOOKED chicken and tomatoes. You can turn on the sauté to warm the chicken up if you need to.
Step 5: Top with Feta
Serve this delicious Greek chicken and rice topped with feta cheese.
What Do I Do If I Don’t Have Leftover Chicken?
If you don’t have any precooked chicken, you can still enjoy this recipe! I have two Instant Pots so it makes it easy to cook the chicken while cooking the rice and veggies. If you prefer a whole chicken, follow my Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Recipe minus the quinoa. If you prefer breasts, follow this Instant pot Chicken Breast recipe.
Do I Have to Use Feta Cheese?
Feta cheese is what makes this recipe Greek! It’s brined curd white cheese made from sheep and goats milk. If you aren’t fond of the flavor or texture, you can substitute with mozzarella cheese.
Greek Chicken Tips and Tricks
Along the way, I’ve used a few tips and tricks to make cooking this recipe even easier. Keep the following in mind:
- Don’t stir the rice! Any pasta can get the burn notice. Just allow the rice to be pushed down into the liquid, but don’t stir it to the bottom.
- Cook chicken along side rice and veggies. If you don’t have precooked chicken, you can use your other Instant Pot to cook the chicken while the rice and veggies cook. Or, you can cook the chicken in the oven.
- Always naturally release the pressure. Because you are putting a lot of water in the Instant Pot, letting it naturally release will prevent any fluids from spewing out of the valve.
Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Rice is perfect dish who wants to elevate leftover food.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 zucchini; sliced
- 1 yellow squash; sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes; diced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 2 sprigs of oregano
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Precooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
- In your inner pot, add rice, water, squash, oregano, thyme, and zucchini.
- Press pressure cook or manual button and set to 4 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting it will beep and start counting up. Leave it for 30 minutes then release pressure.
- Once the pressure is released stir in chicken and tomatoes.
- Serve topped with feta cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 31g
Other Chicken Recipes to Try
You can do so many things with chicken. From Chinese to Mexican, here are some of my other favorite chicken recipes!
- Instant Pot Chicken Taquitos with Salsa
- Chinese Instant Pot General Tso Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Alabama Chicken Sliders
- Instant Pot Poached Chicken
Remember, sharing is caring! Please pin this post to Pinterest for others to enjoy.
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and adults. Angela has also taught cooking classes and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Instant Pot Table. Follow her on Pinterest!