Beef stew is a classic winter meal that we all crave. Mostly, because of the delicious taste, but also because it’s so comforting and filling. In our house, we love to make this Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe. Pressure cooker beef stew is delicious and tender and cooks so much faster than the slow cooker version.
If you love classic beef stew but hate waiting to eat until dinner time, this recipe is perfect for you. grab your electric pressure cooker and make the best Instant Pot beef stew recipe around!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Hearty and Satisfying: This beef stew is a comforting, filling meal perfect for chilly nights.
- Rich in Flavor: The Instant Pot locks in the flavors, making every bite delicious.
- Efficiency: This recipe simplifies a classic dish, cutting down on cooking time significantly.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Ingredients
Here is the list of ingredients needed for this pressure cooker beef stew recipe:
- Canola or Olive Oil: Locks in flavors and creates a delicious caramelization.
- Beef Stew Meat: Cut into bite-sized pieces, it cooks evenly and absorbs the flavors well.
- Salt and Pepper: Enhance the natural flavors of the ingredients.
- Dried Parsley Flakes: Add an earthy, slightly bitter flavor to the stew.
- Onion and Garlic: Form the flavor base of the stew and give it depth.
- Beef Broth or Stock: Provides a savory, meaty liquid base for the stew. It also helps in tenderizing the beef and cooking the vegetables.
- Baby Carrots and Potatoes: Add a hearty, comforting element to the stew.
- Worcestershire Sauce (Optional): Adds a tangy, umami flavor to the stew, enhancing its complexity.
- Cornstarch mixed with Cold Water: Thickens the stew, giving it a more substantial texture.
How to Make Beef Stew Instant Pot Style
Here are the step-by-step instructions to show you how to make beef stew in an Instant Pot.
Step One: Saute Beef Stew Meat
Saute the beef in oil until you feel you have the right consistency in your meat.
Remove the finished Sautéed beef from the instant pot’s inner pot and set aside in a small bowl.
Step Two: Deglaze Your Instant Pot
Add a small amount of beef broth to the Instant Pot and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
You want to make sure you don’t miss out on any flavour that has been stuck to the bottom of your pot and deglazing with help prevent the Instant Pot Burn Notice.
Step Three: Add Beef Broth to Instant Pot
Add the beef broth to your Instant Pot and return the sautéed beef to the pot.
Step Four: Add Vegetables to Beef Stew
Add the onions, carrots and potatoes to your Instant Pot. We used baby carrots in this Instant Pot beef stew but you can use any carrots you have on hand.
Step Five: Add Seasonings to Instant Pot Beef Stew
Add the salt, pepper and minced garlic to the Instant Pot. add any other vegetables to suit your taste. If choosing to add Worcestershire sauce, now would be the time to add it.
Step Six: Pressure Cook Your Beef Stew
Close the Instant Pot lid and set the timer to pressure cook your beef stew for 35 minutes on high pressure.
Be sure to turn off the Keep warm button as you don’t want the pan to boil dry. Once the display says ‘END”.
Step Seven: Naturally Release Instant Pot
Allow the Instant Pot to perform a natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes. Then move the valve to open to allow the remaining pressure to release quickly (QPR).
Step Eight: Garnish and Serve Instant Pot Beef Stew
Serve your delicious beef stew hot and garnish with fresh herbs such as fresh rosemary or fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
What to Serve With Beef Stew?
If you’re wondering what to make with beef stew, here are some of our top suggestions:
- – Mashed potatoes or cauliflower puree
- – Green salad with vinaigrette dressing
- – Buttered bread or crusty bread rolls
- – Cornbread or biscuits
- – Roasted vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, and turnips
- – Rice pilaf or quinoa
- – Gravy or a creamy sauce to pour over the beef stew, if desired
- – Wine or beer for a hearty meal!
More Beef Stew Facts and Questions
What Is Beef Stew?
Beef stew is a hearty and delicious meal that is made using chunks of beef, vegetables, broth or stock, and seasonings. It is typically cooked slowly on the stovetop or in the oven until tender, but can also be prepared in an Instant Pot for a quick and easy cooking method.
Why Is Beef Stew Such a Classic Meal?
There are a few reasons why beef stew is such a classic meal, the first being that it is incredibly comforting and filling. This makes it the perfect wintertime meal when you want something hearty and warm to fill your belly.
Another reason that beef stew is such a classic meal is that it is so easy to make. This makes it the perfect recipe for a busy weeknight when you want something cosy on the table, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen prepping and cooking your food. With this Instant Pot beef stew dish, you can have a warm, delicious meal on the table in just minutes!
What Is the Best Meat for Beef Stew?
What kind of Beef to use in Beef Stew? The best type of beef is a boneless chuck roast. It doesn’t dry out, and it offers up all the rich flavors you want in a beef stew.
Best Beef for Stew Meat if You Don’t Have Chuck Roast?
If you don’t have a chuck roast, you can use a brisket or bottom round instead. Although these cuts are leaner, they will still develop that rich and delicious flavor as it cooks in the broth and stock.
How to Saute Stew Meat in an Instant Pot
Sautéing is cooking food quickly in a minimal amount of fat over relatively high heat.
The word comes from the French verb sauter, which means “to jump,” and describes not only how food reacts when placed in a hot pan but also the method of tossing the food in the pan or pot.
To saute beef stew meat you need to Saute the beef before adding the rest of the ingredients. Add oil to your Instant pot and cook on saute mode until the beef is browned and cooked through.
How Long to Cook Meat Stew in Instant Pot?
Wondering how long to cook meat stew in Instant Pot? The instant pot stew meat cook time depends on which type of meat you are using. Generally, the best cooking time is around 35 minutes.
How Long to Cook Beef Stew in Instant Pot?
If you want your Instant pot beef stew to be soft to the point that the beef melts in your mouth then you’ll need to cook the beef in the pressure cooker for at least 35 minutes with natural pressure release.
How Long to Cook Chicken Stew in Instant Pot?
Instant pot chicken stew takes ten minutes to cook. Check out this chicken stew recipe for further instructions.
How to Thicken Beef Stew?
If you want to know how to thicken a beef stew here are some useful tips:
Place Your Beef Stew onto keep warm mode if there is too much liquid. This will give the stew a chance to thicken naturally.
Another option is to make a cornstarch mixture by mixing some cornstarch with a small amount of cold water and then whisking it into the beef stew until you reach the desired thickness.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to keep an eye on your beef stew as you are thickening it to make sure that it doesn’t burn or overcook.
Why Don’t You Use the Instant Pot Stew Meat Setting for This Recipe?
When making beef stew in the Instant Pot, we don’t recommend using the ‘stew meat’ setting for two main reasons. Firstly, this setting is usually designed to work with tougher cuts of meat that benefit from a longer cook time and low-pressure cooking.
For more tender beef cuts like chuck steak which is used in this recipe, you will get better results by using the high-pressure setting on the Instant Pot. If you want to use the Instant Pot meat stew setting that’s fine but the results may not be as good as using the manual pressure cook button.
So, while you can use the ‘meat stew’ Instant Pot setting I would not.
Can I Use Frozen Meat in Beef Stew?
Yes, you can use frozen meat in beef stew. simply skip the saute section and place straight into the instant pot before cooking. Adjust the cooking time to 40 minutes. I prefer to saute and use browned beef as it adds more flavor to the Instant Pot Beef Stew.
Can I Add Other Ingredients to Beef Stew?
Yes, you can definitely add other ingredients to your beef stew. Some popular additions include mushrooms, celery or bell peppers. Some like to add tomato paste or tomato sauce, red wine or soy sauce. You can also add frozen peas, fresh garlic cloves and herbs such as rosemary or thyme.
Do I Have to Boneless Beef in Pressure Cooked Beef Stew?
No, you do not need to use boneless beef for pressure-cooking beef stew. You can use any cut of beef that is appropriate for stewing, such as chuck roast or brisket. However, using boneless meat cuts down on the cooking time and makes it easier to eat your stew!
Is It Better to Cook Beef Stew on the Stove or in the Instant Pot?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the cooking time and method for making beef stew will depend on your individual preferences, taste preferences, and available ingredients.
Some people prefer the texture of meat when they pressure cook beef stew while others may prefer the more traditional browning and slow-cooking method used to make beef stew on the stovetop.
Can You Freeze Beef Stew?
Yes, this beef stew is one of those Instant Pot recipes that freezes well in the freezer.
How to Freeze Beef Stew?
To freeze beef stew, simply transfer it to a freezer-safe container or airtight resealable bag. Be sure to leave about 1 inch of space at the top so that your beef stew can expand as it freezes.
How Long Can You Freeze Beef Stew?
You can store your Instant Pot beef stew in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw frozen beef stew place the container or bag in the fridge overnight, or you can defrost it more quickly by placing it in a bowl of cold water.
How to Reheat Beef Stew?
To reheat your beef stew, place it in a pot or microwave-safe bowl and heat to the desired temperature. If you are freezing the stew for later use, let it thaw completely before reheating.
Enjoy your delicious beef stew Instant pot dish alongside mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or crusty bread!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add canola oil. When the pot has heated, add stew meat and stir to brown all sides. Season with salt, pepper, and dried parsley.
- After the meat has begun to brown, add the onion. Cook for two minutes more, then add the garlic.
- When the meat is browned, turn off the instant pot and remove the meat. Add one cup of beef broth and deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to remove stuck-on pieces of meat and onion.
- Add the remaining beef broth, carrots, potatoes, and meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Set the Pot to the stew setting or to pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- When the time is up, do a quick release and remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Add the cornstarch and water mixture and stir to combine. Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and allow the stew to simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken the liquid before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 1352mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 67g
Enjoy This Best Beef Stew Recipe Today!
Enjoy this best beef stew Instant pot recipe any time of the week. It’s delicious and tasty and packed with goodness.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
If you love this delicious beef stew Instant Pot recipe then you’ll also love the following favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Boneless Ham
- Viral Instant Pot Feta Pasta
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew
- Easy Instant Pot Casserole Recipes
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Pasta
- Instant Pot Vegan Recipes
- Instant Pot Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork
- Instant Pot Cacio E Pepe
- Instant Pot Greek Rice
- Shrimp Cucumber Appetizers
- Orange Cranberry Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Oatmeal With Apple And Cinnamon